Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Westerns & War

Like Tree254Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd April 2012, 10:34 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djvaso View Post
New Mill Creek stuff:
I'm currently waiting for MC's earlier Spagwest double-bill BR to arrive and i may well buy this later release sometime down the line too.
Old 7th May 2012, 01:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

x

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti
Old 7th May 2012, 01:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Updated List of English friendly spag westerns on BD...

(Some new additions but nowhere near enough for us monolinguistic spaghetti western fans!)

UK
SPAGHETTI WESTERN TRILOGY (FISTFUL OF DOLLERS, FOR A FEW DOLLERS MORE, THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY) - SERGIO LEONE
ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST - SERGIO LEONE

USA
DJANGO - SERGIO CORBUCCI [region locked]
DJANGO KILL... IF YOU LIVE, SHOOT - GIULIO QUESTI [region locked] - june 19th release
A BULLET FOR THE GENERAL - DAMIANO DAMIANI [region locked] - may 22nd release
SPAGHETTI WESTERN DOUBLE FEATURE VOL. 2 (THE LAST GUN (SERGIO BERGONZELLI), 4 DOLLERS OF REVENGE (JAIME JESUS BALCAZAR but written by Sergio Corbucci's brother Bruno))
SPAGHETTI WESTERN VOL. 3 (THE GRAND DUEL (GIANCARLO SANTI), KEOMA (ENZO G. CASTELLARI))

Germany
SILVER SADDLE - LUCIO FULCI
NAVAJO JOE - SERGIO CORBUCCI

Sweden
MAN OF THE EAST - ENZO BARBONI

Australia
THE HILLS RUN RED - CARLO LIZZANI
NAVAJO JOE - SERGIO CORBUCCI
MAN OF THE EAST - ENZO BARBONI
Pete likes this.

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti

Last edited by oaxaca; 7th May 2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 6th June 2012, 03:53 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Has anyone here purchased the Koch Navajo Joe BD? How's the picture and audio quality?
Old 15th June 2012, 05:13 PM
Cultist in Training

My Name is Nobody (steelbook!) will be available in France on September 18th.

Daemonia, Pete, Gojirosan and 2 others like this.
Old 15th June 2012, 05:31 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

ESSENTIAL!
Daemonia, Pete and oaxaca like this.
Old 23rd June 2012, 08:44 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
I've snapped up a fair few Mill Creek Entertainment, Videoasia and Pop Flix spagwest compilations recently. Yeah, yeah i know the audio and video quality can be questionable on these releases but i was aware of this when i ordered 'em so sue me! So far i've only managed to make it through two of the titles in PF's Dead Or Alive collection, these being They Call Me Hallelujah and The Moment To Kill both starring the veteran George Hilton. Personally, i enjoyed both these outings with the former film being the most entertaining imo and boasting the better PQ, although i have reason to believe the particular print in question may be cut.
Gojirosan likes this.
Old 3rd August 2012, 05:57 AM
Cult Acolyte

Yours truly finally finished checking out the rest of PF's Dead Or Alive spagwest set recently and this release is a winner for such a low price online imo. However, although the PQ on Black Killer was good, please be warned my copy had an all-too noticable visual flaw in that whenever a character walks around onscreen they do so with an awful stilted, 'jerky' sorta motion that made the movie unwatchable imo. Whether i have a defective disc or there's some kinda encoding error evident i'm not too sure. The other films in the compilaton were all fine.
Old 3rd August 2012, 12:32 PM
Cult Acolyte

Yours truly recently completed scrutinising Pop Flix's Dead Or Alive spagwest collection and imo this set remains a decent purchase for such a pocket-friendly price. However, although the transfer on Black Killer is nice, please take heed my copy suffers from an all-too evident PQ flaw in that whenever a character walks around onscreen they move with an awful stiff, 'jerky' sorta motion that made watching the movie unpalatable for me. I'm unsure if i have a problematic DVD or whether there's some kinda encoding error apparent i can't say. The other films in the compilation were all fine.
Old 3rd August 2012, 01:01 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 View Post
Yours truly recently completed scrutinising Pop Flix's Dead Or Alive spagwest collection and imo this set remains a decent purchase for such a pocket-friendly price. However, although the transfer on Black Killer is nice, please take heed my copy suffers from an all-too evident PQ flaw in that whenever a character walks around onscreen they move with an awful stiff, 'jerky' sorta motion that made watching the movie unpalatable for me. I'm unsure if i have a problematic DVD or whether there's some kinda encoding error apparent i can't say. The other films in the compilation were all fine.
Just checked mine.

That's on the master from the look of it. A low quality standards conversion (PAL to NTSC) then an aspect ratio converter (possibly, to bodge up an anamorphic DVD from a non-anamorphic source tape). Then even further reduction so three films can be crammed onto a single DVD (all three films and menus take up 7½ gigabytes, Black Killer taking up nearly 3 of those). The waxy lack of detail and that the jerky artifacting is occasional and not constant (especially apparent on slo-mo shots) are giveaways of excessive and poor conversion processing from source to final disk, even at the relatively high file size.

It's amazing it looks as good as it does!

Like this? Share it using the links below!