Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Westerns & War

Like Tree254Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st August 2010, 07:41 PM
Cult Rookie

I`ve only been watching Spaghetti`s this past year but it`s quickly becoming one of my favourite genres.

Other than the Leone films, these are some good ones worth tracking down...

The Big Gundown
Face To Face
Return Of Ringo
Companeros
A Bullet For The General
Day Of Anger
The Great Silence
Django
Mannaja
A Pistol For Ringo
If You Meet Sartana... Pray For Your Death
I Am Sartana... Your Gravedigger

BioZombie, if you liked The Mercenary you should also like Companeros.They are quite similar as they both feature Jack Palance as the villain & Franco Nero as the foreigner. I`m a big Milian film so I prefer Companeros but they are both good fun.
If you like a darker mood the The Great Silence is one of trhe best.

I'm not sure about Django sequels.There loads of films with Django in the title but the ones I`ve seen had nothing to do with the original.
Old 13th October 2010, 08:48 AM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

I watched The Great Silence last night. It's a really great Spaghetti Western, set in the snow, starring Jean-Louis Trintignant and Klaus Kinski, and directed by Serio Corbucci.

It's a very dark film about bounty hunters terrorising a small town, headed up by Tuco (Kinski). Enter Silence (Trintignant) a moral bounty hunter with a dark past who will only shoot if someone draws a gun on him.

If you're a fan of Spaghetti Western this is one to track down. The score by Ennio Morricone isn't as meorable as his Leone work, but fits the dark feel well and the ending of the film is certainly memorable.

The R2 Digital Classics dvd has a good anamorphic transfer, and there are a couple of extras in the from of a short interview with Alex Cox and an alternative ending with optional commentry, also by Cox.
Old 14th October 2010, 07:31 PM

I have just order the Agent Films release of Django Kill. As far as I know it's not a proper sequel to Django (the ace film by Sergio Corbucci starring the awsome Franco Nero), but it is supposed to be a very artistic and violent Spaghetti Western, directed by Giulio Questi.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this.
Old 14th October 2010, 07:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It's ok but way overrated. The Argent disc is good though.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 14th October 2010, 08:37 PM
Ex-member
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveCrest View Post
Some time ago I remember reading something on or off the web saying The Good, the Bad and the Ugly was the first in the trilogy, coming before A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More. This is despite actually having been the last one to be filmed and released.

In a way it makes perfect sense, because for the majority of TGTBATU Blondie (the Man with No Name is called this name by Tuco. In A Fistful of Dollars he is called Joe) is seen wearing a long beige coat. It's not until the last 10-15 minutes that he wears the famous shawl. And I'm glad this is the first in the series because in chronlogical order Tuco never got his own back on Blondie, despite the very satisfactory moment when Blondie and Tuco team up to take out Angel Eyes and his posse in the town.
Eastwood is a different character in each film.

In For a Few Dollars More his name is Monco
Old 14th October 2010, 08:41 PM
Ex-member
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioZombie View Post
I have just order the Agent Films release of Django Kill. As far as I know it's not a proper sequel to Django (the ace film by Sergio Corbucci starring the awsome Franco Nero), but it is supposed to be a very artistic and violent Spaghetti Western, directed by Giulio Questi.
Considering the amount of spaghettis with the word "Django" in, the only official sequel is Django Strikes Again from 1987!!!
Old 14th October 2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Tanzi View Post
Considering the amount of spaghettis with the word "Django" in, the only official sequel is Django Strikes Again from 1987!!!
Is Django Strikes Again any good??
Old 14th October 2010, 08:49 PM
Ex-member
Good Trader

Quote:
Is Django Strikes Again any good??
It's good fun, it's more like an 80's action film than a spaghetti though.
Old 15th October 2010, 06:33 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
I watched The Great Silence last night. It's a really great Spaghetti Western, set in the snow, starring Jean-Louis Trintignant and Klaus Kinski, and directed by Serio Corbucci.

It's a very dark film about bounty hunters terrorising a small town, headed up by Tuco (Kinski). Enter Silence (Trintignant) a moral bounty hunter with a dark past who will only shoot if someone draws a gun on him.

If you're a fan of Spaghetti Western this is one to track down. The score by Ennio Morricone isn't as meorable as his Leone work, but fits the dark feel well and the ending of the film is certainly memorable.

The R2 Digital Classics dvd has a good anamorphic transfer, and there are a couple of extras in the from of a short interview with Alex Cox and an alternative ending with optional commentry, also by Cox.
I've been meaning to pick this up for a while, but forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder & the recomendation BioZombie. Gonna order it this weekend.

You make it easy.
Old 15th October 2010, 07:08 AM
Cultist

Default The Spaghetti Western thread.

You won't regret it, The Great Silence is a masterpiece and highly recommended. I'd love to be watching it for the first time this weekend! Must give it a spin again soon. Enjoy!

Trampy And The Tramp win Curry Lover(s) of the Year award at the Scottish Curry Awards 2010

www.trampyandthetramp.blogspot.com

Like this? Share it using the links below!