Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Westerns & War

Like Tree254Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th August 2012, 02:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Has anyone ever seen THE RELENTLESS FOUR with Adam West?

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 9th August 2012, 01:19 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Just checked mine.

That's on the master from the look of it. A low quality standards conversion (PAL to NTSC) then an aspect ratio converter (possibly, to bodge up an anamorphic DVD from a non-anamorphic source tape). Then even further reduction so three films can be crammed onto a single DVD (all three films and menus take up 7½ gigabytes, Black Killer taking up nearly 3 of those). The waxy lack of detail and that the jerky artifacting is occasional and not constant (especially apparent on slo-mo shots) are giveaways of excessive and poor conversion processing from source to final disk, even at the relatively high file size.

It's amazing it looks as good as it does!
Cheers for clearing up the probable cause of the problem and i agree the movie looks better than it has any right to based on your explanation. Once the PQ flaw kicked in within the first 2 or 3 minutes it was enough to put me off watching the rest of the film.
Old 23rd August 2012, 04:13 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Question to my fellow Spaghetti-Heads, if I may: does anyone here by chance know where to obtain some of the Franco Cleef restoration DVDs these days? I know Exploited used to carry them before they closed their doors, but interested in checking out some of the restorations, like Gundown and Fasthand Is Still My Name.

Thanks!
Old 27th August 2012, 08:05 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
„Der Gehetzte der Sierra Madre“ erscheint im Mediabook
Verfasst von Martin Haas am 27.08.2012 um 14:30

Das Label Explosive Media wird nun den Film „Der Gehetzte von Sierra Madre“ von Sergio Sollimas veröffentlichen. Der Film soll dabei auf Blu-ray Disc in einem Mediabook veröffentlicht werden. Neben der Blu-ray wird man in dem Mediabook noch zwei weitere DVDs finden, auf einer ist noch einmal der Film enthalten, auf der zweiten Zusatzsdisc werden sich Extras einfinden. Abgerundet wird die Veröffentlichung dann durch ein umfangreiches Booklet, zu welchen es noch keine weiteren Informationen gibt, genauso wenig wie zur Ausstattung der Scheiben. Das Mediabook soll am 12. Oktober erscheinen.
Source: DVD-forum.at
Old 27th August 2012, 09:00 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Has anyone ever seen THE RELENTLESS FOUR with Adam West?
As a matter of fact, I have this disc coming from Amazon.de.
Old 1st September 2012, 09:39 PM
Cultist in Training

La Resa dei conti is available for pre-order:
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B009229EQI
Pete and oaxaca like this.
Old 13th September 2012, 05:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Gojirosan and ReturnToZero like this.

Old 23rd September 2012, 06:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Old 23rd September 2012, 06:51 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by djvaso View Post
La Resa dei conti is available for pre-order:
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B009229EQI
Fantastic!! Another spag western coming out on blu is always welcome, especially one with Lee Van Cleef!! I've not seen it but the story sounds good and I'm a fan of some of Sollima's other stuff.

On a side note I ordered MY NAME IS NOBODY BD steelbook from amazon.fr earlier as they confirm it does have an English audio track

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti
Old 5th October 2012, 03:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Default MY NAME IS NOBODY (French Steelbook - StudioCanal)

DISC:-

Just finished watching this and I must say StudioCanal have done an absolutely perfect job with the PQ, it looks really stunning for a film from 1973. Great detail, bright colours and nice stable grain throughout.
Another plus is the gorgeous steelbook it comes in. On the negative side, it seems your unable to alter audio and subtitles during the film, you can only do it from the main menu. Even worse though, if you choose the English audio (my only option as I don't parlais Francais), you are lumbered with unremovable French subtitles.

FILM:-

The film itself seems to be a Leone-produced (Tonino Valerii-directed) parody of the genre he made famous (or at least critically-acclaimed). Even Morricone's score mimics parts of those in other Leone films. Its half-serious and half tongue-in-cheek. Fonda doesn't say much but has a good presence whereas Terence Hill provides a lot of the humour. The English track has decent enough dubbing, no worse than any other spag western I've seen. Its really quite a likeable, light hearted film with the emphasis mainly on comedy, some of it bordering on slapstick, e.g. the regular use of fast-motion. The ever-great Geoffrey Lewis (Fulci's Silver Saddle, Hooper's Salems Lot, etc) plays a small but comical part at the end. He's the leader of 'the wild bunch' but you don't see much of him until the last few mins

ps. Looking forward to getting this Sergio Sollima one - THE BIG GUNDOWN / LA RESA DEI CONTI - on the 12th... Milian & Van Cleef - That is one great cast!

Pete, Wes and Demdike@Cult Labs like this.

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti

Last edited by oaxaca; 5th October 2012 at 04:51 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!