Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Yeah-great set.
Good it arrived today ...
Demoncrat likes this.

Old 24th December 2020, 08:58 AM
Cult Acolyte

Default The Complete Sartana Blu-ray

The Complete Sartana Blu-ray...
Arrived even tho Hermes's dropped it in a puddle.

IMG_20201224_085459.jpg

Old 24th December 2020, 01:12 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Adios

One last delivery for Xmas.Adios Amigo..

IMG_20201224_130914.jpg

Old 26th February 2021, 11:11 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Mercenary (1968)

An enjoyable Sergio Corbucci effort which sees merc Franco Nero and wannabe revolutionary Tony Musante on a rollercoaster ride from one action set piece to another as they set out to free one village after another from the Mexican army.

Although not exactly laden with storyline it keeps you engaged with Nero and Musante sparring well with each other and despite lacking the strong violence (and OTT laughter) the genre is renowned for is on the whole a decent watch.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 26th February 2021 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11th March 2021, 10:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Fighting Fist of Shanghai Joe (1973)

The plot is straightforward - A Chinese immigrant with amazing martial arts combat skills arrives in the American old West on his way to Texas. He finds it a place full of injustice, slavery, corruption and no good bounty hunters, all it seems out to get him.

The film's star, Chen Lee, only made four movies which is a shame as he has undoubted star quality and makes for an engaging hero and all round likeable guy. As well as Chen Lee the film boasts a very good cast of Italian favourites who due to the nature of the film all make glorified cameo appearances. Klaus Kinski as an evil scalp hunter, Gordon Mitchell, Claudio Undari (aka Robert Hundar) and the ever reliable Giacomo Rossi-Stuart, all appear and give the film added variety.

The films original score by Bruno Nicolai in my mind gives the great Morricone a run for his money with his rousing main theme that thankfully pops up at several times during the action. Director Mario Caiano keeps the film extremely lively, never dwelling in one place for too long and making sure his guest cast don't outstay their welcome. Whilst a fun movie the film does have strong racist overtones particularly now in 2021. Caiano doesn't skimp in the blood and guts department either with some rather juicy deaths being shown in close up onscreen. The best of all being Rossi-Stuart losing an eye to Joe's fighting fist. Other highlights include Joe killing Kinski whilst walking on his hands after Kinski shot both his legs and the climatic fight with another of Chen's order with swordplay and rooftop chases galore.

As a mash up of genres (Spaghetti Western and Kung Fu action film) The Fighting Fists of Shanghai Joe is an incredibly entertaining film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mio_nome_Shanghai_Joe_(poster).jpg (27.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 12th March 2021, 03:41 PM
Active Cultist

Funny enough, I just watched this movie a couple of days ago - Kinski death was one of my favourite moments of the movie.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 12th March 2021, 04:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard View Post
Funny enough, I just watched this movie a couple of days ago - Kinski death was one of my favourite moments of the movie.
The martial arts certainly add something to the Spaghetti genre. I really think it's so much fun and Chen Lee is a likable charismatic lead. A real shame he only made four films.
Graveyard likes this.
Old 25th May 2021, 08:05 AM
Cult Acolyte

I've always preferred Spags to American westerns because they seem more realistic, in the sense of their clothes dont look like they have came out of a Daz wash for that whiter than white look lol
Old 25th May 2021, 11:54 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals View Post
I've always preferred Spags to American westerns because they seem more realistic, in the sense of their clothes dont look like they have came out of a Daz wash for that whiter than white look lol
To be honest that's a lazy surmisation that affects some studio bound productions of the forties and fifties.

If you actually watched American westerns made by the likes of Budd Boeticher, movies shot entirely on location, then you'd realise that isn't really the case.

Also you'll see more clothes washing and bathing in westerns than you will in any other genre i reckon.

The first thing Yul Brynner did when he got into town by carriage in the film i watched last night - Invitation to a Gunfighter was get washed up and have his clothes cleaned.
Old 25th May 2021, 11:55 AM
Cult Acolyte

And Tuco in Good the bad and the ugly was always in the bath....

Like this? Share it using the links below!