Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Westerns & War

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd October 2014, 02:37 PM
Cult Rookie

On The Beach Boring as ever but a neat concept nonetheless!
troggi likes this.
Old 2nd October 2014, 02:56 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Gave a rewatch to Gray Lady Down earlier on this week. A great cast - Charlton Heston, David Carradine, Ned Beatty, Stacy Keach, Christopher Reeve and Stephen McHattie are let down by a bit of a plodding script for forty or so minutes but the film bucks up during the second half with the introduction of the deep sea rescue vehicles and manages to ratchet up a fair bit of tension come the end.
Demoncrat and troggi like this.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 2nd October 2014 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Gray not grey.
Old 7th October 2014, 10:35 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I grew up watching the weekly adventures of the "Seaview" in "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea". I recently purchased a double bill bargain DVD of the pilot film backed with another old favourite submarine concept film, "The Fantastic Voyage".

Could there be a release of "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" series anywhere? And, after showing "The Invaders" (from the same company as VTTBOTS, Quinn Martin), does anyone think that The Horror Channel might screen other QM productions?

Monster Magnet
Old 7th October 2014, 06:29 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Robert Wise director of such wonderful classic musicals as "West Side Story" and " The Sound of Music" was also the director of this suspenseful war film, one of the best in that sub-genre of Submarine movies! in my opinion. Starring Burt Lancaster and Clark Gable as the veteran Sub Captain, "RUN SILENT, RUN DEEP" reveals some interesting similarities with the classic "Mutiny on the Bounty" plot but this time with a sympathetic Captain that in the end comes off rightious. Great actors, good story filled with suspense and dramatic action this is a 1950's submarine thriller with great story and direction. Crimson Tide directed by the late Tony Scott certainly owes a generous wink to Run Silent, Run Deep.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg run silent.jpg (36.1 KB, 1 views)
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 7th October 2014, 06:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
Robert Wise director of such wonderful classic musicals as "West Side Story" and " The Sound of Music" was also the director of this suspenseful war film, one of the best in that sub-genre of Submarine movies! in my opinion. Starring Burt Lancaster and Clark Gable as the veteran Sub Captain, "RUN SILENT, RUN DEEP" reveals some interesting similarities with the classic "Mutiny on the Bounty" plot but this time with a sympathetic Captain that in the end comes off rightious. Great actors, good story filled with suspense and dramatic action this is a 1950's submarine thriller with great story and direction. Crimson Tide directed by the late Tony Scott certainly owes a generous wink to Run Silent, Run Deep.
Wise has directed some of my favourite films, - The Haunting, Curse of the Cat People, and The Body Snatcher.
hivemind likes this.
Old 7th October 2014, 07:14 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Wise has directed some of my favourite films, - The Haunting, Curse of the Cat People, and The Body Snatcher.
We're on the same page here. Wise had some dodgy moments with The Hindenburg and Star Trek: The Motion Picture, but for my buck Wise certainly was underated as a director. Robert Wise fitted into the same league of directors like Richard Fleischer. Both director's are similar, and often struggled for total recognition amongst they're Hollywood pier's for a time. Wise was exceptionally talented suspense and thrillers, and Fleischer for action/drama direction. Just look at the highly underated Audery Rose that Wise directed in 1977 and the enjoyable Sand Pebbles with Steve McQueen. Robert Wise certainly deserved more recognition. I still love The Day The Earth Stood Still.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 7th October 2014, 07:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I really like his Star Trek movie as well.

Not seen Audrey Rose.
Old 7th October 2014, 07:41 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I really like his Star Trek movie as well.

Not seen Audrey Rose.
The Motion Picture is some what overly long, but Robert Wise was saved by that superb score by Jerry Goldsmith. Without Goldsmith leading the way with the symphonic charge, the film would of been a complete flop. Wise's direction is pefectly exceptable, but the film is just too long in places. Now, Star Trek II, that's a different matter. You may or may not like Audrey Rose Dem. It's not to everyone's taste, but it's well acted and does have a few surprises up it's sleeves. Wise prefer's what you don't see as opposed to what you do see. The Haunting as your aware is a classic example of this.
Old 8th October 2014, 01:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

No love for Submarine X-1?? James Caan heads a mainly Brit cast from 68??

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!