Like Tree667Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th October 2020, 11:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Scalphunters (1968)

Burt Lancaster headlines this lively western that combines action, humour, sparkling dialogue and a sharp satirical commentary on race relations with a final scene that goes to show we are all just the same race after all.

Despite Lancaster, Shelley Winters and Telly Savalas being the 'stars', Ossie Davis as escaped slave Joseph Lee steals the film from under their noses.

This one has came across my path a few times but never seemed to look great but you have me sold on it Dem.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 3rd November 2020, 09:20 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Good the bad and the

The Good, The Bad And the Ugly...
Well like they say, what can you say that has not already been said about this film...Well it's bloody long,I Remember taping it on my family's betamax player,and the tape recording run out just before the ending,but I still rewatched it....Happy halcyon days,when a film of this calibre, would be the high light of your television viewing,shame the longest tape I had to record it was just under three hours long,or was it only 2' 1/2 hours long???... Any film that can still have you re-watching it after you first saw it,probably over 30 odd years ago surely must have greatness ingrained onto its very celluloid...My only gripe really is that the remastered version has alot of extra footage reinstated,which is not a bad thing in its self,it's just that the dialogue had to be re-dubbed...Now I have not checked my facts,(but hey this is the internet,who does) but I believe Clint Eastwood and Eli Wallach were able to do there scenes,but obviously Lee Van Cleef was unfortunately not around anymore to do his footage,so they obviously got a voice actor in to impersonate him,not a problem...But Clint and Eli's voices have for obvious reasons, changed over the years,so it's not exactly seemless,but this is a minor gripe, for what is a perfect movie,and one that brings back memories and my shitty betamax tapes....

Old 4th November 2020, 05:03 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
My only gripe really is that the remastered version has alot of extra footage reinstated,which is not a bad thing in its self,it's just that the dialogue had to be re-dubbed
They don't have the theatrical cut on the disc?
Old 4th November 2020, 11:31 AM
Cult Acolyte

Default Good the bad and the whinger

Yeah but then I would having nothing to complain about...

Old 4th November 2020, 11:48 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Yeah but then I would having nothing to complain about...
Sorry, I'm actually inquiring because I don't know... This has the theatrical cut, or it doesn't.

I would like to purchase in the future.
Old 4th November 2020, 03:47 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Goodies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
Sorry, I'm actually inquiring because I don't know... This has the theatrical cut, or it doesn't.

I would like to purchase in the future.
I see,I know the 4k Remaster Blu Ray released by Kino Loribor has both the restored version and theatrical version....

Blu-ray A America - Kino Lorber
ExtrasISC ONE
* The Film (1966 Theatrical Cut)
Audio Commentary with film historian Tim Lucas
Alternate/Deleted Scenes:
- The Optical Flip (:52)
- Skeletons in the Desert (1:03)
- Extended Torture Scene (1:03)
Animated behind-the-scenes image gallery
"Posters & Lobby Cards" animated image gallery
Trailers From Hell with Ernest Dickerson
Sergio Leone Westerns Original Theatrical Trailers:
- "Fistful of Dollars"
- "For a Few Dollars More"
- "Once Upon a Time in the West"
- "A Fistful of Dynamite"

DISC TWO
* The Film (2003 Extended Cut)
Audio Commentary with film historian Richard Schickel
Audio Commentary with noted cultural historian Sir Christopher Frayling
"Leone's West" featurette (19:55)
"Il Maestro: Ennio Morricone & The Good, the Bad & the Ugly, part 1" featurette (7:48)
"Il Maestro: Ennio Morricone & The Good, the Bad & the Ugly, part 2" featurette (12:26)
"The Leone Style" featurette (23:48)
"The Man Who Lost the Civil War" featurette (14:24)
"Reconstructing The Good, the Bad & the Ugly" featurette (11:09)
Deleted Scenes:
- Extended Tuco Torture scene (7:15)
- The Socorro Sequence - A Reconstruction (3:02)
Vignettes:
- Uno, Due, Tre (:40)
- Italian Lunch (:43)
- New York Accent (:10)
- Gun in Holster (:59)
Original U.S. Theatrical Trailer
Original French Theatrical Trailer
Subtitles:English
Aspect Ratio:2.35:1
Picture Format:1080p 24fps AVC MPEG-4
Soundtrack(s):English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
English DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Mono
Italian DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Mono
Case type:Keep Case
Notes:Both versions are derived from 4K masters and feature newly restored original 2.0 mono audio.
The theatrical version is based on the the "theatrical version" from the 1998 MGM DVD in which an Italian source was partially used and as a result, there are both missing shots and shots that do not actually belong because they are from the Italian Version. However, the theatrical version features the restored original 1967 UA Logo.
Comes with reversible cover
MacBlayne likes this.

Old 4th November 2020, 03:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
I see,I know the 4k Remaster Blu Ray released by Kino Loribor has both the restored version and theatrical version....

Blu-ray A America - Kino Lorber
ExtrasISC ONE
* The Film (1966 Theatrical Cut)
Audio Commentary with film historian Tim Lucas
Alternate/Deleted Scenes:
- The Optical Flip (:52)
- Skeletons in the Desert (1:03)
- Extended Torture Scene (1:03)
Animated behind-the-scenes image gallery
"Posters & Lobby Cards" animated image gallery
Trailers From Hell with Ernest Dickerson
Sergio Leone Westerns Original Theatrical Trailers:
- "Fistful of Dollars"
- "For a Few Dollars More"
- "Once Upon a Time in the West"
- "A Fistful of Dynamite"

DISC TWO
* The Film (2003 Extended Cut)
Audio Commentary with film historian Richard Schickel
Audio Commentary with noted cultural historian Sir Christopher Frayling
"Leone's West" featurette (19:55)
"Il Maestro: Ennio Morricone & The Good, the Bad & the Ugly, part 1" featurette (7:48)
"Il Maestro: Ennio Morricone & The Good, the Bad & the Ugly, part 2" featurette (12:26)
"The Leone Style" featurette (23:48)
"The Man Who Lost the Civil War" featurette (14:24)
"Reconstructing The Good, the Bad & the Ugly" featurette (11:09)
Deleted Scenes:
- Extended Tuco Torture scene (7:15)
- The Socorro Sequence - A Reconstruction (3:02)
Vignettes:
- Uno, Due, Tre (:40)
- Italian Lunch (:43)
- New York Accent (:10)
- Gun in Holster (:59)
Original U.S. Theatrical Trailer
Original French Theatrical Trailer
Subtitles:English
Aspect Ratio:2.35:1
Picture Format:1080p 24fps AVC MPEG-4
Soundtrack(s):English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
English DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Mono
Italian DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Mono
Case type:Keep Case
Notes:Both versions are derived from 4K masters and feature newly restored original 2.0 mono audio.
The theatrical version is based on the the "theatrical version" from the 1998 MGM DVD in which an Italian source was partially used and as a result, there are both missing shots and shots that do not actually belong because they are from the Italian Version. However, the theatrical version features the restored original 1967 UA Logo.
Comes with reversible cover
Cheers!
Old 4th November 2020, 03:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Fasthand. 1973.

When a band of former Confederates siege a fort and believe they killed the last remaining soldier, they become wanted fugitives but the man the left behind to die becomes a vigilante and hunts them down.

Decently entertaining Spaghetti western that looks like it was made in the 60s and not the 70s, Sergio Ciana plays the ex-union officer now a man with revenge on his mind even though the dubbing is out of sync at times. The acting may seem wooden at times and a old timer with one of those daft western voices makes it a bit of a laugh with his home made shotgun that we would see in a comedy movie.

MV5BMjk1NTExMTUxNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDUyODk1MDE@._V1_UY268_CR9,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
Old 5th November 2020, 03:34 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Fisting

For A Few Dollars More.....
With a cast full of the sweatiest,ugliest character actors this side of the Rio Grande,that also includes German misery guts and all round hate monger,Klaus Kinski...For A Few Dollars More,has a real spiteful streak going through it,and this is all down to Gian Maria Volonté*as El Indio,a dope smoking psychopath,who has very little quams about having women or children killed,or anybody else come to that...But For Few Dollars does have some moments of levity, mainly when Lee Van Cleef lights his cigar on Kinski chin,and when Eastwood goes and sees the prophet,a train hating bed ridden old man who seems to know everyone and everybody, but on the whole it's a pretty mean spirited film...I mean apart from Eastwood and Van Cleef pretty much every other character in the film is dead by the end,But then again Clint's character is getting paid per head,so it's no wonder no one survives....On the other hand,Lee Van Cleef has a major score to settle with Indio,is it me or does it strike you a bit odd that Van Cleefs character of Colonel Douglas Mortimer looks identical to his character in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly,then again I'm never quite sure if Clint Eastwood's character is susposed to be the same man in the trilogy, because he goes by a different name in each film...As a youth I had the soundtrack to this and A Fistfull of Dollar's on vinyl,and never got tired of listening to Ennio Morricones fantastic music...

Old 22nd February 2021, 10:59 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Redhead from Wyoming (1953)

Entertaining western in which Maureen O'Hara gives a gutsy performance as a dance hall owner who quickly becomes embroiled in a range war between settlers and cattle ranch owners played off against each other by a cut throat wannabe governor.

Even at short of 80 minutes there are times when this could drag but O'Hara's swashbuckling scenes mask any weaknesses in the script until we get to a nicely done and rather tense final twenty minutes.

Technicolor was invented purely for Maureen O'Hara and if it wasn't then it should have been.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg The_Redhead_from_Wyoming_FilmPoster.jpeg (57.8 KB, 2 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!