Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Westerns & War (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=561)
-   -   Western Movies (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/westerns-war/13359-western-movies.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th May 2021 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 652885)
One bit of the art work looks like its from Django. Well for €11 its worth a punt.

I thought it was Nero but wasn't 100%

I'm no expert on the old spaghetti's

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th July 2021 10:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pale Rider (1985)

Classic Clint Eastwood western in which he basically plays one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse - the rider of the pale horse is Death, as Eastwood's preacher comes to the aid of a small band of gold prospectors being terrorised by local mining kingpin LaHood.

Realising Eastwood is no ordinary preacher LaHood calls in the fearsome and corrupt Marshall Stockburn (An excellent John Russell) and his six deputies.

Pale Rider is the second western (After 1973's High Plains Drifter) that Eastwood pretty much plays a vengeful spirit. There are clues to this immediately after he hooks up with the prospectors when you see the six bullet wounds in the center of his back that no man could survive, six bullet holes that he inflicts on Stockburn during the finale. Six bullet holes of vengeance.

Eastwood is of course seriously cool but the whole film drips with a kind of languid, stylish coolness, be it the action sequences or Bruce Surtees stunning cinematography. Whilst it may not be quite one of Eastwood's greatest westerns it remains all these years later a fine example of the genre and for me the best from the eighties full stop.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th July 2021 10:46 PM

8 Attachment(s)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 21st July 2021 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 655638)
Pale Rider (1985)

Classic Clint Eastwood western in which he basically plays one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse - the rider of the pale horse is Death, as Eastwood's preacher comes to the aid of a small band of gold prospectors being terrorised by local mining kingpin LaHood.

Realising Eastwood is no ordinary preacher LaHood calls in the fearsome and corrupt Marshall Stockburn (An excellent John Russell) and his six deputies.

Pale Rider is the second western (After 1973's High Plains Drifter) that Eastwood pretty much plays a vengeful spirit. There are clues to this immediately after he hooks up with the prospectors when you see the six bullet wounds in the center of his back that no man could survive, six bullet holes that he inflicts on Stockburn during the finale. Six bullet holes of vengeance.

Eastwood is of course seriously cool but the whole film drips with a kind of languid, stylish coolness, be it the action sequences or Bruce Surtees stunning cinematography. Whilst it may not be quite one of Eastwood's greatest westerns it remains all these years later a fine example of the genre and for me the best from the eighties full stop.

Classic.
Prefer this to Unforgiven and Josy Wales.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 21st July 2021 10:31 PM

That classic channel 4 news theme they used for the trailer but not in the actual film......

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYTXK4Vs3hc

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 21st July 2021 10:34 PM

:cool:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd9deG9EgNU

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st July 2021 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 656273)
Classic.
Prefer this to Unforgiven and Josy Wales.

It's difficult to say with me regarding Clint's westerns. I love them all. If i had to choose one i'd say High Plains Drifter.

I love that final showdown in Unforgiven

" I've killed women and children. I've killed just about everything that walks or crawled at one time or another. And I'm here to kill you, Little Bill"

It's as if all Eastwood's western characters come together for one scene.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 21st July 2021 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 656276)
It's difficult to say with me regarding Clint's westerns. I love them all. If i had to choose one i'd say High Plains Drifter.

I love that final showdown in Unforgiven

" I've killed women and children. I've killed just about everything that walks or crawled at one time or another. And I'm here to kill you, Little Bill"

It's as if all Eastwood's western characters come together for one scene.

Oh agreed.
His man with no name spaghetti's are my favourites,but even Joe Kidd,Two Mules and Hang 'em High are all great.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 21st July 2021 10:41 PM

Just don't mention Paint Your Wagon......

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st July 2021 10:44 PM

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
High Plains Drifter
For a Few Dollars More
Unforgiven
Pale Rider
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Two Mules for Sister Sara
A Fistful of Dollars
Joe Kidd
The Beguiled
Hang 'Em High

I think that's how i'd rank Clint's westerns. Just because Hang 'Em High is last doesn't mean i don't think it's good, it is. 7/10 i'd score it and that's his so called worst with me.