Like Tree667Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st July 2016, 06:45 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
I have seen The Professionals but not for along while so due a watch,and yes it does seem to be a prototype for The Wild Bunch.
I might give it a watch and review tomorrow.
Old 6th August 2016, 06:34 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971)

McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971)

Wearing a hipster beard Warren Beatty as John McCabe rides into the rather shitty looking town of Presbyterian Church.Soon McCabe is setting up a brothel with three prostitutes ,each with there own tent,with a sign exposing there virtues on each tent,With the town slowly getting bigger and McCabe expanding his business into saloons and gambling he is soon joined by Julie Christie as Constance Miller a cockney madam who strikes a deal with McCabe to run his brothel.Robert Altman directs what at the time was being called a revisionist western,playing against all the stereotypical themes you usually get in a western. McCabe who has big ideas and plans for the town is fairly stupid when it comes to the financial nitty gritty,where as Mrs Miller seems to be the driving force behind the partnership. The setting of Presbyterian Church in the Northwest,is real desolate place,unfinished buildings and seemingly endless amounts of mud and dirt and snow,again going against the traditional sun bleached deserts of past westerns,and certainly the prostitutes are not the usually colourful saloon girls we have come to expect in past westerns of old. Another atypical thing about the film is its soundtrack,mostly sombre in tone it also has three tracks by by Leonard Cohen ,'The Stranger Song', 'Sisters of Mercy' and 'Winter Lady' something which you would be hard to find in a spaghetti western ,its a bit like using kraut rock band on a martial arts film,oh wait a minute .Robert Altman has a definite style of his own,and while McCabe & Mrs. Miller has been lauded as a modern classic,it was not as engaging or as entertaing as some of his later films like The Long Goodbye.I will say that Warren Beatty was terrific as McCabe where as I found Julie Christie accent grating to say the least (and I find her over rated as an actress). McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971) is a genuinely great film but does not have the show tunes of Paint you Wagon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tumblr_n7ss6zmJAv1qzqju7o1_1280.jpg (99.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 1003387940.jpg (88.7 KB, 3 views)

Old 6th August 2016, 07:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971)

McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971) is a genuinely great film but does not have the show tunes of Paint you Wagon.
Are you high?
Old 6th August 2016, 07:35 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Are you high?
only on life mate
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Old 11th August 2016, 07:59 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default The Hateful Eight (2015)

The Hateful Eight (2015)

It has to be said im not that big a fan of Mr Tarantino,I kind of fell out of love with his work somewhere around Kill Bill and Death Proof,and I just do not think I can watch Pulp Fiction one more time,same goes for Reservoir Dogs,but every now and again he does something that will peek my interest,Jackie Brown is still one my favourite of his films.In fact I kind of like him more when he his wallowing in the genre gene pool,Blaxploitation and Western movie's being my favourite,so I was particularly interested when I found out he was making The Hateful Eight.Let's be honest you would not want to play Movie Trivial Pursuit with this guy,whether you call it paying homage or ripping off,he certainly knows his movies. From the off set H8 is wonderfully filmed,the snowbound scenery and the mountains surrounding Minnie's Haberdashery look suburb,I never saw the film at the cinema,so can not comment on how the 70mm film looked on the big screen,but I have to say the Blu Ray looks top notch.What i found really interesting and worked extremely well was the Ennio Morricone score and especially the pieces used from his previous score for John carpenters The Thing (1982) and Exorcist II: The Heretic (1977),of course he does have a habit of poaching music from previous Morricone scores,but never has it worked to greater effect than on this film.Of course no Tarantino film is without its quirky odd ball music,and this time it does not get any weirder than having The White Stripes song Apple Blossom and Now You're All Alone by David Hess,and lest we forget the chocolate soul full voice of Roy Orbison on There Won't Be Many Coming Home. My criticism of Tarantino's work is that there seems to be a check list of things that he must have in his films,The N word seems to be something he loves using,whether its to boast his black audience credentials or just to shock his chin scratching white middle class audience.A lot of swearing,and I mean lot of swearing.maybe I'm getting old. A cast of very familiar faces,some old,some new and some with a bullet between there eyes.The cast is amazing by anybody's standard but i have to say the stand out performance for me is Walter Goggins as Chris Mannix but with a cast this good it is a close call.At three hours long,it gives Sergio Leone a run for his money in the bloody long film stakes,but I have to say I loved every minute of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The-Hateful-Eight-Banner.jpg (98.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot-2015-12-29-12.27.25.jpg (90.2 KB, 4 views)

Old 11th August 2016, 08:18 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
The Hateful Eight (2015)

It has to be said im not that big a fan of Mr Tarantino,I kind of fell out of love with his work somewhere around Kill Bill and Death Proof,and I just do not think I can watch Pulp Fiction one more time,same goes for Reservoir Dogs,but every now and again he does something that will peek my interest,Jackie Brown is still one my favourite of his films.In fact I kind of like him more when he his wallowing in the genre gene pool,Blaxploitation and Western movie's being my favourite,so I was particularly interested when I found out he was making The Hateful Eight.Let's be honest you would not want to play Movie Trivial Pursuit with this guy,whether you call it paying homage or ripping off,he certainly knows his movies. From the off set H8 is wonderfully filmed,the snowbound scenery and the mountains surrounding Minnie's Haberdashery look suburb,I never saw the film at the cinema,so can not comment on how the 70mm film looked on the big screen,but I have to say the Blu Ray looks top notch.What i found really interesting and worked extremely well was the Ennio Morricone score and especially the pieces used from his previous score for John carpenters The Thing (1982) and Exorcist II: The Heretic (1977),of course he does have a habit of poaching music from previous Morricone scores,but never has it worked to greater effect than on this film.Of course no Tarantino film is without its quirky odd ball music,and this time it does not get any weirder than having The White Stripes song Apple Blossom and Now You're All Alone by David Hess,and lest we forget the chocolate soul full voice of Roy Orbison on There Won't Be Many Coming Home. My criticism of Tarantino's work is that there seems to be a check list of things that he must have in his films,The N word seems to be something he loves using,whether its to boast his black audience credentials or just to shock his chin scratching white middle class audience.A lot of swearing,and I mean lot of swearing.maybe I'm getting old. A cast of very familiar faces,some old,some new and some with a bullet between there eyes.The cast is amazing by anybody's standard but i have to say the stand out performance for me is Walter Goggins as Chris Mannix but with a cast this good it is a close call.At three hours long,it gives Sergio Leone a run for his money in the bloody long film stakes,but I have to say I loved every minute of it.
**** yeah!!!
Old 11th August 2016, 10:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

That was the first review of H8 that actually makes me want to see it, coming from someone who knows his westerns too it's a recommendation in itself.

Inpector.
Old 11th August 2016, 11:46 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
That was the first review of H8 that actually makes me want to see it, coming from someone who knows his westerns too it's a recommendation in itself.

Inpector.
You said the same thing after my review back in bloody May!
Old 12th August 2016, 10:38 AM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Sweet Vengeance (2013)

This gif is the best review anyone could write. After seeing this gif I went straight to amazon and clicked Buy It Now. I buy every western that comes out, including every new western, but I kept putting off this one. Looking forward to it.
Old 12th August 2016, 12:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard--W View Post
This gif is the best review anyone could write. After seeing this gif I went straight to amazon and clicked Buy It Now. I buy every western that comes out, including every new western, but I kept putting off this one. Looking forward to it.
I genuinely really rate it. Hope you enjoy it as well.

Like this? Share it using the links below!