Like Tree667Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th February 2017, 09:00 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
yeah i might get the blu ray,if its rubbish ill just part exchange it at CEX.
look forward to your thoughts then.
Old 12th February 2017, 11:48 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default The Magnificent Seven (2016)

The Magnificent Seven (2016)

Since were talking a remake of a remake,its pretty hard to criticize on that score at least,and since this remake has very little to do with the film that starred Yul Brynner, Horst Buchholz, James Coburn, Steve McQueen and Robert Vaughn etc,then its more in the way of what kids call a re-imagining,which is I suppose the same as what John Sturges did with the Seven Samurai.The difference being that I cannot see this new version being repeated in forty years time and become all time classic,that the Sturges film became.The real main difference being is that the 1960 version had a pretty amazing cast of actors that portrayed a rather great bunch of anti heroes. Unfortunately although there is a fairly good cast of actors in Antoine Fuqua's film,including Denzel Washington, Chris Pratt and Ethan Hawke none of them can hold a candle to the likes of Charles Bronson, Yul Brynner, Horst Buchholz, James Coburn and the great Steve McQueen. In the new film the story now takes place in the mining town of Rose Creek ,where Bartholomew Bogue (Peter Sarsgaard) and his bunch of gun totting henchmen,want to take over the town and the surrounding area for its lucrative mining. After a massacre at the church which left Emma Cullen (Haley Bennett) husband killed and half the towns folk slaughtered,she takes a bag full of money and rides out to hire some help.There is obviously some major plot changes here between this and the 1960 version,and I have to say not for the better. WAS it because they did not want to stereotype the Mexican community or did they just run out of those funny looking Mexican cowboy hats.Also they really push the ethnically diversity amongst the bunch,its almost like they had to fill a quota. In its favor the film does look good and is well directed by Antoine Fuqua,but the main problem definitely lies with the story and script,you really do not feel any sympathy at all for the towns folk, and even less for the seven,even if they are out numbered and out gunned. Casting wise while Denzel Washington who plays Sam Chisolm is ok,the only other character which had any real personality was Manuel Garcia-Rulfo as Vasquez. At best the film is average at worst it has no real passion or spark,and certainly not as good as some recent modern westerns like 3:10 to Yuma (2007).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg magnificent-seven.jpg (97.0 KB, 5 views)
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Old 12th February 2017, 11:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Great review, Inspector.

I love the Sturges film. It along with The Great Escape was the sort of thing i grew up watching. It's a shame you don't rate it but from your words i doubt i will either.

Oh and i totally agree with you about 3:10 to Yuma. That's superb, actually far better than the original in my opinion which gets quite slow in it's middle third.
Old 12th February 2017, 11:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Great review, Inspector.

I love the Sturges film. It along with The Great Escape was the sort of thing i grew up watching. It's a shame you don't rate it but from your words i doubt i will either.

Oh and i totally agree with you about 3:10 to Yuma. That's superb, actually far better than the original in my opinion which gets quite slow in it's middle third.
Yeah it will never reach cult status,wait for it to hit the bargain bins.

Old 12th February 2017, 11:58 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Yeah it will never reach cult status,wait for it to hit the bargain bins.
Pity. There have been some excellent westerns this century.

Did you see the Aussie film Red Hill? Although it's set in the modern day you'd never know and is basically just a very good old school western.
Old 13th February 2017, 12:00 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Pity. There have been some excellent westerns this century.

Did you see the Aussie film Red Hill? Although it's set in the modern day you'd never know and is basically just a very good old school western.
no but its in my wish-list so definitely will get.

Old 13th February 2017, 12:07 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
no but its in my wish-list so definitely will get.
I got mine from Poundland. It was lumped in with their Halloween horror stuff for some reason.

What i'm trying to say is you should be able to get it fairly cheaply. Slip cased as well.
Old 20th February 2017, 11:11 AM
Cult Acolyte

APACHE DRUMS (1951)

A gambler is told to leave town along with the 'dancing girls' as they are not welcome anymore. Out of town he comes across the stagecoach of the girls and discovers they have been killed by Apache. Racing back to town he tells that the Apache are on their way but no-one believes him. Later the stagecoach arrives back at the town riddled with arrows and they now know he was telling the truth.
The Apache kill a young man from the town and put the body down the well, polluting the water supply. A group from the town ride out to get water and are joined by a handful of Cavalry who help fight off the Apache who come charging at them.
The Apache attack the town and everyone takes refuge in the church in a last stand against them...

One name made me seek this film out. Val Lewton.
Lewton produced the great RKO horrors and I had heard his touches were to be seen in this film.
The film is very atmospheric. In one scene the gambler Sam is in the desert rocks alone. The music and camera angles give a real sense of foreboding.
The church siege has all the Lewton horror hallmarks. Apache appearing at open windows and dressed like devils as they jump down screaming from the high windows.
The whole of this church siege takes place in the last 25mins and we never move from there. It's dark and the drums beat outside suddenly changing tempo as the attack begins. All you can see through the high windows is the flicker of the town burning. Several other motives come in to play here such as religion between a priest and an Indian scout and the playfulness of Sam as he plays magic tricks for the crying children inside the church when they think that all hope is lost and to prepare for the worst. Adding to all this is a music score by horror Maestro Hans J. Salter.

A great little film which now resides along side Val Lewton's RKO gems.
Old 20th February 2017, 01:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post

APACHE DRUMS (1951)

A gambler is told to leave town along with the 'dancing girls' as they are not welcome anymore. Out of town he comes across the stagecoach of the girls and discovers they have been killed by Apache. Racing back to town he tells that the Apache are on their way but no-one believes him. Later the stagecoach arrives back at the town riddled with arrows and they now know he was telling the truth.
The Apache kill a young man from the town and put the body down the well, polluting the water supply. A group from the town ride out to get water and are joined by a handful of Cavalry who help fight off the Apache who come charging at them.
The Apache attack the town and everyone takes refuge in the church in a last stand against them...

One name made me seek this film out. Val Lewton.
Lewton produced the great RKO horrors and I had heard his touches were to be seen in this film.
The film is very atmospheric. In one scene the gambler Sam is in the desert rocks alone. The music and camera angles give a real sense of foreboding.
The church siege has all the Lewton horror hallmarks. Apache appearing at open windows and dressed like devils as they jump down screaming from the high windows.
The whole of this church siege takes place in the last 25mins and we never move from there. It's dark and the drums beat outside suddenly changing tempo as the attack begins. All you can see through the high windows is the flicker of the town burning. Several other motives come in to play here such as religion between a priest and an Indian scout and the playfulness of Sam as he plays magic tricks for the crying children inside the church when they think that all hope is lost and to prepare for the worst. Adding to all this is a music score by horror Maestro Hans J. Salter.

A great little film which now resides along side Val Lewton's RKO gems.
Excellent review Dave Boy. Where can i find this film on disc, please.
Old 20th February 2017, 04:31 PM
Cult Acolyte

This is the DVD I have Dem.
It's from Koch Media and the picture quality is excellent.

It is available from and supplied by Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Apache-Drum...s=apache+drums

Like this? Share it using the links below!