Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Westerns & War

Like Tree667Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th September 2017, 08:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Wild Bunch (1969, Sam Peckinpah)

The film that made me like Westerns. Holden a tarnished knight ... Johnson shifty to the core ... Borgnine loyalty personified ... and Ryan a man caught in a trap .... Strother Martin auditions for Wind In The Willows
I digress.
Chasing that 'big score' the Bunch entangle themselves in a tricky but profitable situation ...

A horse Opera indeed.

Recommended highly.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 24th December 2017, 10:53 AM
Cult Acolyte

Default The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

A day late, but never mind...Release date 23 December 1966 in Italy.

the_good_the_bad_and_the_ugly_wallpaper_background_34180.jpg

Old 24th December 2017, 12:25 PM
Cult Acolyte

^ In case anyone missed this. The restoration project of the Sad Hill cemetery.

Old 24th December 2017, 05:25 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Good The Bad and the Ugly

Just started watching this, this evening and I totally forgot this was the extended cut with the extra scenes, most notably when Tuco goes and finds his buddies before they try and kill Blondie in his hotel room.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TGTBTU_0014.jpg (81.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg TGTBTU_0056.jpg (89.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg TGTBTU_0115.jpg (87.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg TGTBTU_0371.jpg (93.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg TGTBTU_0631.jpg (89.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg TGTBTU_3412.jpg (101.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg TGTBTU_3414.jpg (102.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg TGTBTU_3419.jpg (105.5 KB, 3 views)

Old 24th December 2017, 07:35 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Good The Bad and the Ugly

phew...its have been ages since I watched this...how can a film that long just seem to fly by...

Old 7th January 2018, 05:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

This may be of interest to some members

From FAB Press:

“Coming from FAB Press in 2018... RENEGADE WESTERNS. Stay tuned for details of how to get hold of the very limited hardcover edition, each copy signed by the authors.”

IMG_0256.JPG
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 15th January 2018, 02:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Hunting Party (1971)

Gene Hackman stars as a wealthy business man whose wife (Candice Bergen) is kidnapped by a ruthless gang of cut throats led by Oliver Reed. Hackman vows revenge and goes after the gang using newly invented long range hunting rifles.

One of the most nihilistic and brutal westerns i think i've seen. Much of it is extremely distasteful featuring multiple rapes, brutality against women and a horse fall that i can't un-see. Not to mention the many extremely bloody killings on show.This British western from Don Medford remains a decent enough and original film well, original if you haven't seen The Most Dangerous Game that is, which has a spaghetti vibe to it aided by a fine score from Riz Ortolani. There's barely a chink of light to be seen in this dark brooding affair where a case of Stockholm Syndrome between Bergen and Reed remains the only vestiges of humanity on offer.

The Hunting Party isn't one of the great westerns but it does offer something different to the norm and is well worth seeing although i do wish i'd seen the cut British print because as i said i can't un-see that horrific horse trip.

Old 9th April 2018, 09:57 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

No Name on the Bullet (1959)

Audie Murphy (below) stars as John Gant, a hired killer who rides into a town where no one is sure whose name is on his bullet. Several townsfolk all with murky pasts believe it's them he's come for.

An intriguing little thriller, perhaps short on action but still high in suspense as paranoia quickly takes over and the sleepy little western town is suddenly awash with guilt and betrayals.

Former World War II hero Murphy is terrific as is Charles Drake as the town doctor as the two collide head to head as the townsfolk begin accusing each other and keep the viewer guessing as to who Gant's target is.

Anyone who enjoys classic Hollywood westerns could do a lot worse than check this out.

Old 29th April 2018, 02:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Last Of The Mohicans (1936, George B Seitz)

Phew, for a minute there I was thinkin' that there were a few too many powdered wigs in this cornsarn western .... luckily Randolph Scott is at hand to save the day. Decent audio and print on this Hen's Tooth US release. Big heap un PC as well . Scott personified the 'straight shooter' and this is one of the reasons it seems. He makes Clark Kent look like a try hard for a start. Recommended!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th April 2018, 04:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Forsaken (2015)

John Henry Clayton returns from ten long years away when he learns of the death of his mother, his guns firmly retired, he attempts to repair his relationship with his father he becomes embroiled in a local land grabber's attempt to drive the people from their homes.

Regular 24 director John Cassar brings together father and son Donald and Keifer Sutherland in this classic style western with barely an original bone in it's body. The two, both in good form here are joined by an excellent supporting cast including the villainous Brian Cox, Demi Moore and a scene stealing Michael Wincott (below) as a hired gun seemingly channeling Val Kilmer in Tombstone.

Despite referencing many other classics of the genre from Unforgiven and Pale Rider to older fayre like Destry Rides Again, Forsaken is an extremely enjoyable film with stunning cinematography, memorable characters and tension that builds beautifully from the start.

Excellent. Highly recommended to western fans.

Like this? Share it using the links below!