Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Westerns & War (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=561)
-   -   Quentin Tarantino to Direct 'Django Unchained' (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/westerns-war/5521-quentin-tarantino-direct-django-unchained.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 1st May 2011 03:32 PM

Quentin Tarantino to Direct 'Django Unchained'

Just found out via Variety that QT will be directing a newly scripted Spaghetti Western for The Weinstein's.

No release date as yet...

More info here.

Pete 1st May 2011 03:36 PM

Ooh great news!

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st May 2011 03:37 PM

The director and title alone make me want to watch it.

PaulD 1st May 2011 04:18 PM

Ain't It Cool News had information on this the other day too, along with a picture of the title page of the finished script here. Can't wait!

BioZombie 1st May 2011 04:43 PM

Sounds good. I like the idea of Christoph Waltz as the star.

BioZombie 3rd May 2011 07:13 PM

Here's a short intereview from the man himself about Django Unchained

Quentin Tarantino Partied All Day After Writing Django Unchained -- Vulture

stoopidmunkey 22nd May 2011 02:00 PM

Can't wait!

Bringer Of Funerals 22nd May 2011 03:26 PM

I think it will be a best of other Spag westerns lol,

keirarts 22nd May 2011 03:54 PM

I wonder if he was influenced by takeshi miikes Sukyaki western django?

You know, the one he starred in.....

If you havent seen it give it a try, just be careful which one you get, the uk release is cut. The total runtime uncut is a little over the two hour mark.

Baseball Fury 23rd June 2011 11:30 AM

Looks like casting is pretty locked up now as well.

Django - Jamie Foxx
Candie - Leonardo DiCaprio (the villian)
Schultz - Christoph Waltz (Django's mate)
Stephen - Samuel L Jakson (Candie's right hand man)

BioZombie 23rd June 2011 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 160004)

Django - Jamie Foxx
Candie - Leonardo DiCaprio (the villian)
Schultz - Christoph Waltz (Django's mate)
Stephen - Samuel L Jakson (Candie's right hand man)

Were did you get the info from?

Baseball Fury 23rd June 2011 11:41 AM

Twitter, Variety, Empire, it all broke in the past week or so

Gojirosan 23rd June 2011 01:09 PM

This really does not please me. I don't like the sound of this at all.

I hope to be surprised.

platostotal 23rd June 2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 160029)
This really does not please me. I don't like the sound of this at all.

I hope to be surprised.

Ditto, WTF... I was hoping for Clooney as Django or maybe Russell Crowe. The problem with casting an African-American as lead is it's too far from history to be believable. There's a reason why there's no black outlaws in the west, bigotry and racism was still rife even after the Civil War. I can see how the klu klux klan storyline will be implemented, but an African-American outlaw would last only until they ran into white people, then game over. Hell, they used to hang people just for being black. I realize the above sounds kinda racist but it's not meant that way, but the thought of a back guy wandering around the old west with a gun and being left to it is a complete lie of American history. Though if members know otherwise, I have no problem being corrected.

PS. If there are members who find the above offensive I can assure you I am in no way, shape or form even the slightest bit racist, just don't like filmakers ignoring history for casting convenience.

Baseball Fury 23rd June 2011 01:40 PM

Despite having Django in the title, the film has nothing to do with the wild west. its about a slave who escapes a sadistic plantation and comes back to save his woman and seek revenge. its an 80's exploitation with a Django title

platostotal 23rd June 2011 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 160035)
Despite having Django in the title, the film has nothing to do with the wild west. its about a slave who escapes a sadistic plantation and comes back to save his woman and seek revenge. its an 80's exploitation with a Django title

Thanks for that, not really 'Django' then. Makes far more sense now. But why call it Django? What next 'A Fistful of Dollars' set in Cash Generators? Hope Tarantino's not about to "jump the shark"

Pete 23rd June 2011 02:01 PM

DJANGO STRIKES AGAIN - the only official sequel - is not set in the west either, it's set in south america and is more like a Rambo knockoff. It's pretty good, too.

Gojirosan 23rd June 2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Thank God! I was afraid Tarantino might do to the Spaghetti Western what he did to Martial Arts with that Kill Bill travesty.

Pete 23rd June 2011 02:12 PM

Pish! KILL BILL is great! Mind you I've not seen either of them since they came out.

PaulD 23rd June 2011 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 160050)
Thank God! I was afraid Tarantino might do to the Spaghetti Western what he did to Martial Arts with that Kill Bill travesty.

Nah, it's being described as a 'Southern', so there'll be the spaghetti western musical motifs and such but it is about a slave seeking vengeance in the deep south. And yeah, Kill Bill was fantastic. Lots of spaghetti western stuff in that to be honest, especially volume 2.

Gojirosan 23rd June 2011 02:24 PM

I hated Kill Bill, I'm afraid. The worst kind of overblown, adolescent fanboy tosh.

It perfectly encapsulates the aspects of Tarantino's work that I cannot stand. I have liked other things of his greatly.

Fingers crossed for this one.

Paul@TheOverlook 23rd June 2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platostotal (Post 160033)
Ditto, WTF... I was hoping for Clooney as Django or maybe Russell Crowe. The problem with casting an African-American as lead is it's too far from history to be believable.

...but INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS was about as far removed from real history and that turned out great, IMO. I'm still really excited about this film and think that Jamie Foxx is a great and very versatile actor, so let's hope he does sign on for the role. I have a feeling that this film will be great fun - MANDINGO as directed by Sergio Corbucci! What's not to love?

Gojirosan 23rd June 2011 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 160057)
MANDINGO as directed by Sergio Corbucci!

:lol:

If anything can win me over, it is that comment!

James Morton 23rd June 2011 03:37 PM

Quentin Tarantino to Direct 'Django Unchained'

No doubt Tarantino will get a lot of inspirational scenes filmed as in Kill Bill, Reservoir Dogs, et al
I do like his films, not a fan of Jackie Brown
Remains to be seen with Django

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 23rd June 2011 04:50 PM

'You can clean up the mother ****ing mess,but don't touch my mother ****ing coffin,mother ****er!' :lol:

Stephen@Cult Labs 23rd June 2011 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 160004)

Django - Jamie Foxx

Is it April 1st already? :crazy:

Quote:

Ahhhhh right, makess more sense now. Phew! PANIC OVER!!!!!

kevxxx1 23rd June 2011 06:15 PM

Jamie Foxx has been in some mediocre films and seems to act the same way in most of them (Collateral; Jarhead; Miami Vice; The Kingdom), he has talent but perhaps he's just not stretched enough. Law Abiding Citizen was entertaining but I don't know who was more wooden, Foxx or Gerard Butler.

Still, if anyone can get a good performance from him it's Tarantino.

From the description, I would have liked to have seen Chiwetel Ejiofor in the role.

Paul@TheOverlook 23rd June 2011 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevxxx1 (Post 160172)
Jamie Foxx has been in some mediocre films and seems to act the same way in most of them (Collateral; Jarhead; Miami Vice; The Kingdom), he has talent but perhaps he's just not stretched enough. Law Abiding Citizen was entertaining but I don't know who was more wooden, Foxx or Gerard Butler.

You should see THE SOLOIST - he's amazing in that. There is of course his turn in RAY too but I though the former (both his performance and the film itself) was far better.

LAW ABIDING CITIZEN was complete nonsense. It started off very gritty and quickly degenerated into big budget crowd-pleasing action tosh. I like grit and I like big budget tosh but you can't really mix them, IMO.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 23rd June 2011 07:59 PM

'Six shooter and Poncho.When you've absolutely got to kill every muther ****er in the saloon,accept no substitutes.' :lol:

Baseball Fury 23rd June 2011 08:06 PM

Idris Elba was in the running originally (Stringer Bell from The Wire)

platostotal 23rd June 2011 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 160057)
...but INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS was about as far removed from real history and that turned out great, IMO. I'm still really excited about this film and think that Jamie Foxx is a great and very versatile actor, so let's hope he does sign on for the role. I have a feeling that this film will be great fun - MANDINGO as directed by Sergio Corbucci! What's not to love?

Sorry Paul, but was REALLY hoping Tarantino was gonna go all spaghetti on our arses. my point was Hollywood keeps changing history to suit our politically correct times. The indigenous American Indians where denied historically truthful treatment in movies til the 60s. But even as I think about it, to me it's insulting to soften up history to make it cuddly and put bums on seats. In 'Valkyrie' Tom Cruise's Von Staffenberg is shown as acting against Hitler in part to help the jewish people, absolute tosh, he planted the bomb to enable a takeover by the military. But peeps had to be told he was helping the jewish people to make a Nazi sellable at the box office. As you may gather it's a real bugbear with me. Now where's my tablets.

Paul@TheOverlook 24th June 2011 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platostotal (Post 160215)
Sorry Paul, but was REALLY hoping Tarantino was gonna go all spaghetti on our arses. my point was Hollywood keeps changing history to suit our politically correct times. The indigenous American Indians where denied historically truthful treatment in movies til the 60s. But even as I think about it, to me it's insulting to soften up history to make it cuddly and put bums on seats. In 'Valkyrie' Tom Cruise's Von Staffenberg is shown as acting against Hitler in part to help the jewish people, absolute tosh, he planted the bomb to enable a takeover by the military. But peeps had to be told he was helping the jewish people to make a Nazi sellable at the box office. As you may gather it's a real bugbear with me. Now where's my tablets.

I get your point and it's a valid one but Tarantino has never been one to embrace political correctness in his films either. Most of his films are about as far removed from reality as you can get and I'd imagine this offering will be no different. As for hoping this was going to be his "ultimate homage" to the spaghetti, that does remain to be seen but I can't see why it can't, even with and African-American slave as the central character.

There are very few contemporary filmmakers working in the mainstream whose films I anticipate as much as Tarantino's. Granted, they're not always masterpieces and can be sometimes over-indulgent (DEATH PROOF), but there's always a shot of brilliance in everything he makes.

platostotal 24th June 2011 11:07 AM

Yep, a double bill of 'Resevior Dogs' and 'Pulp Fiction' still holds very fond memories, and is about the best way to spend 4 hours with a tv.:)

pedromonkey 24th June 2011 02:43 PM

after reading the plot synopsis for this and hearing Jamie Foxx is now attached, im really really excited to see this, Christoph Waltz as a good guy former dentist turned Bounty Hunter and DiCaprio as an evil Plantation owner, inspired casting, everyone bad mouthed Brad Pitt as Aldo Raine from just the trailer and he turned out to be brilliant in Inglourious Basterds.

I also like how he's not making a straight spaghetti western but only homaging some elements and how it's basically a revenge flick with cowboys, i can't wait to read the script when it eventually leaks online, i've done that with both Kill Bill and IB, although he ommited the sister of GoGo Yubari and the whole suburbia battle which was awesome, but i still love the films and think This could be and probably will be awesome....

pedromonkey 24th June 2011 08:20 PM

ok i've just finished the Script and i have to say it's brilliant, it has absolutely nothing to do with Nero's Django, It does have some long scenes of dialogue but they don't last as long as ones in Inglourious Basterds. Im trying to do this without giving any spoilers, Christoph Waltz will be playing a good version of Hans Landa, Jamie Foxx is wrong for Django, Leonardo DiCaprio is wrong for Calvin Candie, Sam Jackson is spot on for Stephen, There are alot of gun fights, but not in a action movie sort of way, it has a gothic feel to certain parts and has a great reference to Sabata.

If anyone one wants a copy of the Screenplay. PM with your email and i can send it to you.

It really is very good.

sawyer6 12th April 2012 10:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Teaser poster

PaulD 12th April 2012 11:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And the English language version:

InDogWeTrust 13th April 2012 01:00 AM

Okay, Firstly I just want to share my opinions with all the haters here ;D
I ****ing love QT and everything he has done so far.

I am very ****ing scared for Django Unchained though. I am sure he will put his own great little twist on it but I am finding it hard just thinking about having to sit through a film with Jamie Foxx and Leonardo DiCaprio. God, I hate them both and it's hard for me to watch a movie with either of them, I can't imagine the abomination of them together. (With that being said, Leo has had a few good films. Probably about three decent ones. I hated the rest)

Now for some news for everyone if you haven't heard already...The official Synopsis has been released. It's only short so I will post it up in a new post....

InDogWeTrust 13th April 2012 01:01 AM

Django Unchained - Official Syonopsis

Set in the South two years before the Civil War, DJANGO UNCHAINED stars Academy Award®-winner Jamie Foxx as Django, a slave whose brutal history with his former owners lands him face-to-face with German-born bounty hunter Dr. King Schultz (Academy Award®-winner Christoph Waltz). Schultz is on the trail of the murderous Brittle brothers, and only Django can lead him to his bounty. The unorthodox Schultz acquires Django with a promise to free him upon the capture of the Brittles – dead or alive.

Success leads Schultz to free Django, though the two men choose not to go their separate ways. Instead, Schultz seeks out the South’s most wanted criminals with Django by his side. Honing vital hunting skills, Django remains focused on one goal: finding and rescuing Broomhilda (Kerry Washington), the wife he lost to the slave trade long ago.

Django and Schultz’s search ultimately leads them to Calvin Candie (Academy Award®-nominee Leonardo DiCaprio), the proprietor of “Candyland,” an infamous plantation where slaves are groomed by trainer Ace Woody (Kurt Russell) to battle each other for sport. Exploring the compound under false pretenses, Django and Schultz arouse the suspicion of Stephen (Academy Award®-nominee Samuel L. Jackson), Candie’s trusted house slave. Their moves are marked, and a treacherous organization closes in on them. If Django and Schultz are to escape with Broomhilda, they must choose between independence and solidarity, between sacrifice and survival...

Written and directed by Academy Award®-winner Quentin Tarantino, DJANGO UNCHAINED is produced by Stacey Sher, Pilar Savone and Reginald Hudlin. The executive producers are Harvey and Bob Weinstein, Michael Shamberg, Shannon McIntosh, and James Skotchdopole. DJANGO UNCHAINED will be released in the U.S. on December 25, 2012, and internationally by Sony Pictures Releasing International.

antmumford 13th April 2012 12:07 PM

^ That actually sounds brilliant, What a cast too. Personally I think Leonardo Di Caprio is a brilliant actor so there's very little to put me off this film so far.