Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > Why Don't Shameless Release...?
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th February 2008, 05:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

So far, "Shameless" has focussed on Euro exploiters...buuut former VIPCO flicks like "Psychic Killer", "Drive In Massacre","Night of the Demon", "The Mutilator" and "The Slayer" MIGHT be an option (though I seem to remember that the latter two will be out codefree from "Code Red"...

It would be also interesting to see what would happen with "Island of Death" at the BBFC these days....
I guess there's no point in reissuing the cannibal flicks due to UK censorship guidelines and tons of alternate releases.

Not VIPCO, but anyway: I'd be very, very pleased if Shameless considered picking up the UK rights for the nasty "Don't Go in the House" as the first company on R2, it's so far solely available only on R1 and till might be notorious enough to attract enough UK and EU buyers.
Old 8th February 2008, 06:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I can't see Island of Death passing uncut today although some of the cuts could probably be waived.

A release of Don't go in the House would probably see the 3m sequence showing a woman being burnt alive restored...but only just.

Last edited by Angel; 8th February 2008 at 06:37 PM.
Old 2nd April 2008, 06:29 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Go for the full fulci classic quartet mate:
ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS UNCUT -Hand cover art beats any
CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD-Artwork with the zombies and Charles Hamm gravestones-striking
THE BEYOND-Various artworks for this-I have the EC version with the crucified zombie-stunning
HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY UNCUT-The original VAMPIX VHS artwork-(also on the EC DVD I have)-superb

Surely decent transfers of these films in the uk would sell by the shitload?
the fanbase for these films are massive-just like Argento's massive clan of followers,Fulci also has an army of immense proportions....how good would these look in those yellow covers?
I for one would ditch all the versions I have for shameless versions...wouldn't bother my arse about double dipping in the slightest.....but unless members on here convince Almar and co otherwise,he won't do anything about it folks.....
Old 2nd April 2008, 07:11 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

ABUK released Flesheaters fully uncut but only in the 'Box of the Banned' set, so it should pass fully uncut now.
I to would love to see this released as a standalone disc uncut with org. art work.
I'd like to see ' Cemetery ' released fully uncut or as close as with the Vampix art work.
If Shameless released these i'd buy with question .

I disagree about the cannibal flicks as a fuller print of Ferox and Eaten Alive IMO would sell well. Vipco submitted the old pre cut versions and had to cut 6s in Ferox for the Muskrat bumping its body against the jeep. The animal cruelty would have to be cut from both films but nobody's gonna complain there .
Eaten Alive should pass with no other cuts if presented minus the cruelty as should Ferox with only the breast impalment causing problems but im sure Shameless could do a better job than Vipco re editing this scene.
The UK is really in need of a fuller version of both films especially Ferox as its the most contraversal and well known.
If Shameless just released Ferox I recon it would sell very well with the human gore/violent scenes reinstated as the Vipco disc is really severally cut and dosent do the film credit.
Please anybody at Shameless at least give it a thought as it would be a big seller with the UK crowd and its a shame the only versions of these films are so badly cut versions .
I recon an Extreme version of Ferox would be greated with the same enthusiasm as the Extreme version of Zombie Flesh Eaters was, especially if released in normal and WS Special Ed. versions. I'd buy them both.
Please think about it Shameless.

Last edited by vipco; 2nd April 2008 at 07:16 PM.
Old 2nd April 2008, 07:35 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

We're thinking, we're thinking!

We read everything on the forums and hugely appreciate all the input on titles. If we could we'd buy acres of crazy shit and go to town on it all with your blessings.

We have been looking at some of the cannibal flicks and so on and I'm a huge fan of City of the Living Dead but nothing will move on any such titles for now. The pound has lost a lot against the Euro and as you buy films in Euros the margins have become scarily small.

We are though out there with our buying hats on - we just have to be clever with what's affordable and some of these notorious nasties are very expensive as they have cache.

As I said on the Night of the Demon thread though the more people start aksing for a title the more confident we can be of buying it so perhaps people need to start doing polls and narrowing down the selection.

We are listening though and really appreciate the passion.
Old 2nd April 2008, 07:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'd gladly buy a better version of House By The Cemetry, I have the EC UltraBit Edition but I'm sure the picture could be cleaned up better now. The cannibal films will always be a problem in the UK, the animal stuff been the main problem. I like what Grindhouse Releasing did with Cannibal Holocaust by offering a animal cruelty free version via seemless branching. That of course wouldn't work in UK as neither Ferox or Holocaust would make it through uncut. The breat impaling might make it through the BBFC uncut, like I said in an earlier post it was showen in all it's glory during a Sky One show about horror films.

If an animal cruelty free version appeared I would probably buy it, I've only managed to watch the uncut version a few times in all the years I've had the DVD. It just makes me feel dirty and wonder why I like Euro Cult!
Old 2nd April 2008, 11:31 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

House By The Cemetery would 100% pass uncut. Of that there's no doubt. The BBFC wanted to pass it last time but a prosecution of someone dealing in uncut imports scuppered it. Incidentally there appears to have been a recent release of the film by the dubious AGPlate. I don't know of the cut/uncut status of it (apparently it's a port of the 23rd Century DVD) but it certainly isn't a legal BBFC-certified release.

I'm really not sure about sales for reissuing the cannibal films. Granted they'd be less cut than before but would people who own the uncut foreign DVD's actually buy them again?

The reason I would push for Night Of The Demon is because it would be a 100% Shameless worldwide exclusive. It would definitely attract overseas sales as well, as the film has quite a following and is often mentioned on many a horror forum. In fact it used to have its own fan site as well, though this seems to have vanished (maybe Bigfoot got it).
Old 3rd April 2008, 01:21 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I would push for Night of the Demon as if its a Shameless exclusive then alot of folk who want this film but dont buy UK versions would have to buy the Shameless release and it would introduce them to the high quality product that Shameless is becoming known for and get the Shameless brand established as an alternative to importing, then do 'House by the Cemetary' to keep the interest and sales high .
Two titles like that back to back could do Shameless alot of good as people could see that there IS a dedicated serious option to importing those rare films now.
Once people buy one Shameless disc the quality of the product will spark interest in the rest of the catalogue .

Thanks for the answer about the cannibal flicks Almar, very decent of you to take the time to explain as im sure you've a pretty busy schedule , much appreciated.

Last edited by vipco; 3rd April 2008 at 01:32 AM.
Old 3rd April 2008, 06:26 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I think the breast impalement in FEROX would still have problems today (shown in extreme close up) but it's only a 2 second shot anyway so you wouldn't be missing much. I doubt the BBFC would object to the following shots showing her hanging by her breasts though.
Old 3rd April 2008, 07:39 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I would agree with you Angel, there is alot more that would be passed now if resubmitted than in the VIPCO version. I just feel that Ferox could be so much better in the UK than the current version which IMO has been classed 18 because of its name, because there is nothing in it that warrents a cert 18.
I have known people to buy the VIPCO Cannibal Holocaust because its cut of animal cruelty and if Deodato makes his campanion piece to Holocaust it would spark renewed interest in the original version which would be of benefit to whoever has the rights to Ferox as the 2 are often hailed as the best of the cannibal genre .

There must be some demand for them in the UK as VIPCO put out as many cannibal flicks as they could, including the non related 'Dinosaur Valley' as Ferox 2 , plus Holocaust was submitted under Mike Lee's name in a different print version than the VIPCO first release to the bbfc for the 25th anniversary edition, so he must have keept the rights to that and Ferox as they never appeared in the black jacket budget range.

I don't think they will be picked up by Shameless though but think that 'Night of the Demon' could introduce alot of importers to Shameless as demand for this film is high and it dosent seem to be available anywhere . Its definitely a title Shameless should at least think about, that and Bloody Moon.

Last edited by vipco; 3rd April 2008 at 07:42 AM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!