Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > Why Don't Shameless Release...?
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th July 2018, 10:27 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
The Cinematograph Films (Animals) Act was passed in 1937 and has nothing to do with Mary Whitehouse. In theory, Parliament could pass legislation which would permit animals being mistreated and killed for entertainment, but the chances are that happening would probably be slim.
That's probably to stop the films in question corrupting dogs.
Old 17th July 2018, 11:44 PM
Cult Rookie

So basically you're telling me I'm gonna have to be buying imports of cannibal movies all my life. They don't make it easy, do they? (although that is kinda the point)

What I'd personally do, although I'd pass absolutely any legislation just to relax movie censorship (could be worse I guess, we could be in Singapore or somewhere like that), is demand cuts only to scenes that involve domesticated animals, like dogs and cats etc. That said, whilst I obviously don't encourage animal cruelty, it does seem like a double standard that things like this are cut in films while animals are hunted for sport (and also goaded into terror/fury in events like racing). Eh, what can you do?

To be clear, I meant I blame Mary Whitehouse for the video nasty craze - though I was ignorant of her role or lack thereof in cutting animal cruelty scenes.
keirarts likes this.
Old 18th July 2018, 03:50 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
That's probably to stop the films in question corrupting dogs.
Damn, we were doing so well not bringing this up

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Susan Foreman and keirarts like this.
Old 18th July 2018, 06:30 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Has Shameless hinted they would submit NYR again?
keirarts likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 18th July 2018, 06:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Don’t think so, they’ve still got Opera to release that was announced months ago!
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 18th July 2018, 10:42 PM
Seasoned Cultist

New York Ripper would pass by uncut, ss would other Shameless releases like House on the Edge of the Park. Whenever either of the two can pass by uncut, so will the other, as both have scenes cut which are incredibly similar.

I think the only problem scenes these days, at least in anything that's not A Serbian Film/Human Centipede 2, is the animal stuff. Practically every film from the Nasties age stands a decent chance of getting anything non-animal violence related passed I believe, even the Nazi-ploitation films. Gestapo's Last Orgy and Ilsa She Wolf of the SS, despite the subject matter, just can't be taken seriously these days. I haven't seen Beast in Heat or Love Camp 7 but I asked about them in the censorship thread and the consensus was that even they stood a fine chance of getting passed (which is great as Love Camp 7 got rejected in the early 2000's).

The one that'll interest me is I Spit on Your Grave. Its far from my favourite film but I've always taken an interest in it on account of how it used to really anger the censors. As of 2010 it got cut again (much reduced from 7 minutes to just under 3 minutes) but almost a decade on? Its not like it glorifies rape (as the BBFC claimed it has in past times, hence their reasoning for cutting it), if it did it would be a much smoother film. As it is, its rough, nasty, uncompromising and not nice to watch until she starts killing them all: Meir Zarchi set out to make a film to show exactly what women in those situations go through and it worked.

I'm going off topic though so to answer the original point: I would gladly buy NYR on Blu-ray if it got another (uncut) release, even if I own two copies of the 2012 Shameless release (I got the second one in a Shameless box set with two others I hadn't seen yet).

Last edited by Gothmogxx; 18th July 2018 at 11:03 PM.
Old 1st August 2018, 09:32 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Imagine if Youtube was available back in the 80:s/90:s

Just feels stupid for BBFC to cut any movie, since there are millions of other ways to easily find and watch them uncut.

Here in Sweden you can find these films, fully uncut on DVD, in the budget bins in the supermarket.
We used to have a pretty brutal censorship back in the 80:s, but since the early 90:s, during the release of films like Braindead, they just gave up on it.

I just find it hilarious, that the mutilation of the female breast, is such a big no-no, when the mutilation of the eye, or the rest of the body, is totally okey
trebor8273 and nosferatu42 like this.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 1st August 2018 at 09:54 AM. Reason: The YouTube link.
Old 1st August 2018, 11:33 AM
Seasoned Cultist

i have the Gore gore girls were a breast gets cut off and that wasnt cut, so what is the differance?
Old 1st August 2018, 12:30 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Zombie View Post
i have the Gore gore girls were a breast gets cut off and that wasnt cut, so what is the differance?
The Gore Gore Girls has the realism of The X Factor though.
Old 1st August 2018, 12:40 PM
Seasoned Cultist

maybe. but my aunt was horrified by that film and went and sat in the kitchen until it was over.

Like this? Share it using the links below!