Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > Why Don't Shameless Release...?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th April 2008, 10:03 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

The Vipco release of Nights Of Terror (aka Burial Ground) is also uncut and a nice print. For some reason they released it as The Zombie Dead. Is there a Zombie Alive then or a Zombie Not-Too-Good-Today-But-I'll-Be-Fine?

23rd Century released a version of House By The Cemetery though it was an unauthorised release despite the BBFC logo (all of their films were). I'm not sure if it's fully uncut as I haven't seen their print. It's been reissued again (equally bootlegged) by AG Plate recently.
Old 14th April 2008, 10:18 PM
Cultist

The two DVD's I mention have no label so I don't know which company released them. House By The Cemetary has a lengthy 'poker in the breast' scene - much longer and graphic than any other version I'd seen. And Nights Of Terror (which is a very weird film and rather unintentionally funny in places) has the boy (who looks disturbing BEFORE being turned into a zombie) happily chomping on his mother's breast.

Both are excellent transfers.
Old 14th April 2008, 10:20 PM
Cultist

[QUOTE=vincenzo;2642]The Vipco release of Nights Of Terror (aka Burial Ground) is also uncut and a nice print. For some reason they released it as The Zombie Dead. Is there a Zombie Alive then or a Zombie Not-Too-Good-Today-But-I'll-Be-Fine?]

I'm sure that film's been made and due for release at some point ;-p
Old 14th April 2008, 10:38 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Nights Of Terror is one of those appallingly bad zombie films (together with Zombie Creeping Flesh & Dawn Of The Mummy) that I adore. The boy/bloke/whatsit (Peter Bark) is unforgettable ("Mother this cloth smells of death") - and why on earth is there a bear-trap lying around in the grounds of a manor house?

I used to have the old Apex video which had nearly a quarter of an hour cut out.
Old 14th April 2008, 10:55 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
What are the other examples, Vipco?

When you say Cannibal God, I presume you are referring to the DVD? The reason why they cut the castration in Eaten Alive but left it in (Mountain of the) Cannibal God is because they were classified at vastly different times. Eaten Alive was classified with cuts in 1981. For its DVD release Cannibal God was classified in 2001. What was unacceptable in 1981 would certainly have been acceptable in 2001.
Im sorry Angel...Firstly , I use my PS3 to get to all my internet sites, ( all 4 lol ) as due to long term illness I have difficulties using a PC keyboard but I can use my joy pad and V Keyboard much easier but it is still time consuming so I wrongly shortened the title to save time as it takes me ages and usually 3 edits to do 1 post.
I assumed Cannibal god would be enough to identify what film I meant , just like Texas or Driller , when written in the right circumstances is enough to identify those films.
I did forget to state DVD or VHS and that was a genuine mistake by me and im sorry for any confusion .

I wasn't questioning the bbfc's decision on Cannibal god and Eaten Alive .
I knew when I bought Eaten Alive VHS in 91/92 that it would be cut, I didn't expect 10 years later to buy the exact version on DVD .
I dont know if it was the just same version re released on DVD that was submitted to the BBFC back in the 80's / 90's , but it is scene for scene the same , and looks like VIPCO just transfered the already certified VHS print to DVD and released that.
They should have re submitted it in a stronger version , labelled it EXTREME and put that out. IMO the BBFC would have allowed a fuller version than the excisting one.
I just used Eaten Alive as an example of how a company could , but didn't update its films to tie in with its own later releases in that series,(Cult Classics) and im not trying to put VIPCO down as I was/am a big fan of the label.

As for the plenty of other examples, my mistake. I had something else on my mind (Mondo Films) and wasn't thinking when I wrote it and meant to remove it. I do apologise and have removed the comment., Sorry.

Last edited by vipco; 15th April 2008 at 12:20 AM.
Old 15th April 2008, 10:28 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

All is well, Vipco.

Vipco seem to have re-submitted a great deal of films, some which passed uncut for the first time and some went on to be cut for the first time.

Is this list correct?

Blade in the Dark (cuts waived)
Toolbox Murders (some cuts waived)
House on the Edge of the Park (unbanned...but cut)
Cannibal Holocaust (cut for the first time)
Last Hunter (cuts waived)
City of the Living Dead (cuts waived)
Mountain of the Cannibal God (some previous cuts waived)
Bronx Warriors (cuts waived)
House by the Cemetery (cut again due to the OPA)

Were those all Vipco submissions.

What other films did Vipco re-submit that is not listed above?
Old 15th April 2008, 10:58 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Vipco also released The Beyond, Death Trap, The Burning and The Slayer which were all passed fully uncut 2nd time around. The Mutilator ended up with less cuts than before. The first release of Psychic Killer was slightly pre-cut (the shower murder) and then passed uncut.

The first release of The Bogey Man was by another company (I THINK). However Vipco got the uncut version through in 2000.
Old 15th April 2008, 11:14 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
All is well, Vipco.

Vipco seem to have re-submitted a great deal of films, some which passed uncut for the first time and some went on to be cut for the first time.

Is this list correct?

Blade in the Dark (cuts waived)
Toolbox Murders (some cuts waived)
House on the Edge of the Park (unbanned...but cut)
Cannibal Holocaust (cut for the first time)
Last Hunter (cuts waived)
City of the Living Dead (cuts waived)
Mountain of the Cannibal God (some previous cuts waived)
Bronx Warriors (cuts waived)
House by the Cemetery (cut again due to the OPA)

Were those all Vipco submissions.

What other films did Vipco re-submit that is not listed above?
I see now.
When I was refering to VIPCO releases I meant the original VHS 90's Cult Classic collection from their 92 catalouge., Sorry my misunderstanding .
All films above were submitted by VIPCO (DVD) with the 2nd release of Cannibal Holocaust being submitted by Mike Lee. The 25th anniversary ed. which is a foreign print with foreign post film text including cast credits and is 5s longer and superior quality to the 1st release which has all English text and looks like a VHS transfer.

The current range is endless and using a controller to list all would take forever.
I'll list the well known ones.
Zombie Flesh Eaters ( VHS Only ) most cuts waived
Zombie Flesh Eaters 2 uncut
Zombie Flesh Eaters 3 uncut
The Beyond, Uncut.
Cannibal Ferox pre cut but further 6s required. ( Mongoose hits itself on jeep)
.The Burning. Uncut
Death Trap. uncut
Bronx Warriors 2 uncut.
Zombie Dead. Uncut
Zombie Nosh. Uncut
Suicide -not sure
Zombie CREEPING FLESH Uncut plus scenes restored
Bogeyman. 1st submission cut 90/91 2nd submission DVD Uncut
The Slayer. Uncut
Deadly Spawn. Uncut
Shogun Assasin. Uncut ( Claimed)
The Dungeon. Uncut
Spookies. Uncut
Drive in Massacre. Uncut
Psychic Killer Uncut
Rats. Uncut ( Claimed)
Pranks. Cut.
King Frat. Uncut
Nostril Picker. Uncut
Cannibal Holocaust 2 Uncut
Cannibal Ferox 2 cut (I Think )
Blood Camp Thatcher. Uncut
NY Ripper cut
The Black Cat. uncut (I Think )

Sorry cant think of anymore and cant see my collection from here.

There are more like Bloody Moon, Night of the Demon etc but these were just submitted in their 90's VHS cut version and recieved no further cuts.
HOTEOTP was cut by over 11mins. All so films like Night of the Bloody Apes, Savage Intruder which were released on VHS only , and got DVD releases by other companies .
Although bearing the VIPCO name most submission's were made under Horror film UK to the BBFC but some are just listed as M. Lee .
Double bill sets of VIPCO titles have started to appear in an independent video shop bearing VIPCO's name but I dont who released them.
The UNCUT refers to VIPCO's claim on the Jacket and in the odd case its questionable (Shogun) but IMO the WS release is fully uncut.
When Horror Video UK took charge, any mail I got concerning VIPCO releases stopped .Then the notice of closure went up on the website.
The original 1992 catalouge contained 20 VHS releases.
Im sorry I cant be of further help.

Last edited by vipco; 15th April 2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old 15th April 2008, 03:18 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

The 1992 Vipco VHS of Shogun Assassin is basically the same as the cut cinema version. The 1999 VHS/DVD version (f/s & w/s) is completely uncut. The cinema cuts (the head cleavings and the gauntlet face-punch on the boat) are definitely fully restored.

Vipco also released New York Ripper in 2002 (which I still have somewhere) though it only appeared on VHS. The Shameless cuts are pretty much the same only very slightly shorter and edited much smoother, though Shameless's print is a million times better. A friend of mine had the cancelled Vipco VHS of Night Of The Bloody Apes which had a terrific cover but was a heavily cut print.
Old 15th April 2008, 03:40 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I agree with you on Shogun as the 91/92 VHS release was the UK cinema print but some sites say the more recent VHS / DVD is cut, Darkside as well. I have 3 DVD copies of this film all in different style jackets , all VIPCO and all seem uncut to me.

NY Ripper was released by VIPCO in the budget black jacket range on DVD through Gold as I have a copy.
Not sure about the cuts as I haven't got round to watching it yet. I plan to get Shameless version when HMV eventually get it in.

The cuts to VIPCO's VHS of Bloody Apes were quite extensive and included the entire heart operation footage. I wasn't certain wether it go released or not.

Last edited by vipco; 15th April 2008 at 03:44 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!