Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > Why Don't Shameless Release...?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th April 2008, 04:53 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

If the BBFC insisted that a further 6s be cut from a scene in Ferox were a small rodent tied on a rope gets bumped against the Land Rover its travelling in because of cruelty to the rodent then surely they would insist the scene of a snake getting killed by being cut in half should be removed for the same reason.

Though they did allow the scene of a chicken being killed , IMO rather cruelly , in The Other Hell to remain.

Last edited by vipco; 17th April 2008 at 05:05 PM.
Old 17th April 2008, 05:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

As much as I'd love to see a legit (more or less) uncut R2 of "Bloody Moon", I strongely assume the R1 Severin release will be the one everybody will be bound to get.

Last edited by Peter Neal; 17th April 2008 at 05:52 PM.
Old 17th April 2008, 05:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipco View Post
If the BBFC insisted that a further 6s be cut from a scene in Ferox were a small rodent tied on a rope gets bumped against the Land Rover its travelling in because of cruelty to the rodent then surely they would insist the scene of a snake getting killed by being cut in half should be removed for the same reason.

Though they did allow the scene of a chicken being killed , IMO rather cruelly , in The Other Hell to remain.
That scene in FEROX is more likely to be cut because the animal was seen to be cruelly treated and the animal act is more concerned with cruelty than actual killlings.
Old 17th April 2008, 07:44 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I see, but the Ferox scene while filmed, was an accident due to the Land Rover driving into a pot hole were as the snake and the chicken were deliberate acts of actual violence, carried out in front of the camera so the resulting deaths of the two animals could be recorded on film for entertainment/ shock purposes.
Why do you recon the BBFC insisted that an non fatal accident involving a rodent caught on camera be removed or else that film wouldn't get a certificate while they were quite happy to pass scenes in 2 other films were the main purpose of 2 live healthy animals in the movie is to be killed on camera.
Old 18th April 2008, 06:29 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Yes you might be right about the scene in Ferox being the result of an accident as I re-watched the scene several times. Not sure about a pot hole though, looks like they were just driving over very rough ground. Couldn't tell for sure if the animal fell out or jumped out but the fact that a rope was tied around it meant that it was going to swing back against the vehicle. When the film is up for re-submission I think the BBFC should review this scene and consider waiving the cut. It only lasts 2 seconds by the way and not 6s as listed on their website.

Killing animals on film by the way is fine as long as it's done swift and humanely. The BBFC rarely, if ever, cut scenes showing chickens having their heads cut off.
Old 18th April 2008, 09:00 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Chickens get a bit of a bad deal when it comes to movies, I remember in all those 70's/80's cop films my Dad watched, every one always had a car chase that had a scene were crates of chickens in a marketplace or on a truck always got hit by the cars.
I always hated that and wondered why they would do such a thing as I was certain some of the birds got hurt.
Its something even today as an adult, I dont like to watch.

Last edited by vipco; 18th April 2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old 18th April 2008, 10:51 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Interestingly the 13 year old daughter of an old ex-schoolmate of mine recently watched my (12-rated) VHS of Walkabout. The killing of the kangaroo and the shot of the dead buffalo's throat being cut really upset her. Although she's an animal lover she's also normally pretty strong-stomached.

Even the U-rated Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory has a (subliminal) shot of a chicken being decapitated, though the bird is actually a dead one.
Old 21st April 2008, 04:36 AM
Cultist in Training
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipco View Post
Im not a fan of MONDO either, but saw alot of titles in the 90s.
In one MONDO movie film a crocodile attacked a wounded animal in a shallow river but its alleged the animal in the river was wounded and placed on a teather by the film makers, so it could move but not escape and they could get the footage they wanted.
This may have already been answered, but this sounds like the scene from 'Brutes and Savages' - a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. I'm a big fan of the traditional Mondo movies (not so much the American death films that followed). Beyond the controversy of some of their images they are mostly remembered for, I think they represent some great filmmaking talent (J&P, Climati, Morra, Castiglioni's). 'Goodbye Uncle Tom' is the most beautifully shot film ever, but I guess this debate is best saved for another day on a more relevant thread...

As for the 2 films in the thread title: I like them both!
Old 21st April 2008, 11:09 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I think it was 'Brutes and Savages'. Did'nt that have the crocodile eating the man scene .?
Im not a big fan of the American death films either , though I thought 'Killing of America' wasn't bad.

Pardon my ignorance but whats 'Goodbye Uncle Tom' about.? I can't say i've come across it.

Last edited by vipco; 21st April 2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old 21st April 2008, 12:03 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Basically it's a retro documentary about race relations and the slave trade. It's available in the Mondo Cane Collection though I haven't got round to watching it yet.

Like this? Share it using the links below!