Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > Why Don't Shameless Release...?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th March 2008, 09:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Let us know how you think Uncle Tom would fare with the BBFC today, Vince, when you get around to watching it. Last time it was only passed after about 40m of cuts for the X rating. Somehow I can't see anyone submitting it in the near future though.

That snake/monkey scene in MOUNTAIN was completely sick. I saw the Brentwood DVD of this.

By the way the re-make of Cannibal Holocaust is out next year. More animal killings like the first? It will be interesting to see.

Last edited by Angel; 9th March 2008 at 09:09 PM.
Old 9th March 2008, 11:25 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Deodato said on a US dvd Special Ed. disc of Cannibal Holocaust that he regretted shooting the animal footage though claimed that all animals killed were eaten by the natives. He also said he just filmed the natives hunting and killing the monkeys in Holocaust as it happened and only one monkey had to be killed on his request as the original film shot of the monkey getting killed wasn't suitable.

In an interview after meeting Eli Roth, Deodato said that production had started on the Holocaust remake and it would definitely NOT contain any scenes of actual animal cruelty at all.
As Angel says the film is due out 2009.

Last edited by vipco; 9th March 2008 at 11:36 PM.
Old 10th March 2008, 12:35 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Am I alone in not seeing the point of a remake of Cannibal Holocaust?

If the animal footage is stock footage culled from nature/wildlife documentaries (as I wrongly thought the snake/monkey scene in Mountain was) then so be it. I don't have a problem with this being in the film (though I still blanch a bit). When it's done for the movie itself (a la Holocaust) then I find it repellent and somewhat pointless too.

To their credit Vipco steered most of the zombie films - bar House By The Cemetery - through the BBFC uncut, and that was only cut due to a then-recent prosecution. They also got The Bogey Man through intact which I always thought was one of the best and most original of the video nasties.
Old 10th March 2008, 07:27 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Yeah Vipco finally got Zombie Creeping Flesh through uncut. They were going to submit the film to the BBFC in the 90's but James Ferman refused to view it claiming it wasn't time. It was very annoying that the BBFC at times refused to allow a film to be submitted, same thing happened with Death Wish and The Exorcist.

So no animal cruelty in the Cannibal Holocaust remake. Can only be good news. Fortunately films containing real scenes of animal cruelty are much rarer thse days. Remains to be seen if the sexual violence in the re-make will be as hard hitting but somehow I think even here the film will be toned down.
Old 10th March 2008, 12:27 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Apparently it wasn't till after Deodato saw Hostel during his cameo in Hostel 2 and showed Roth 2 scripts that the project was taken outta the pre production stage and given the green light.
He had long talks with Roth about the current level of acceptable violence in film in the US and this encouraged him to continue with the project.

As a collector of horror film, including the cannibal genre, and a fan of these films from the pre cert days I personally don't see the point of a remake of Holocaust as I see it as a 'one of film' that couldn't be copied.
Deodato refered to it as a 'companion' to the original in a recent interview so I dont know if he has a direct remake or a sequel of sorts in mind.

I'd love to see Shamless release a fuller version of Lenzi's Cannibal Ferox or Eaten Alive on dvd as mine is a Dutch U/C print of Ferox on VHS backed up on CDR plus the VIPCO cut versions of both and dont want to buy imports on dvd as well.
Importing into N.I. dosent have a high success rate as all packages are checked at Customs.
I prefer to support the UK labels and will be fully supporting any and all Shamless release's, wether I have a version of any future releases or not.

Last edited by vipco; 9th April 2008 at 05:26 PM.
Old 9th April 2008, 05:18 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Just payed £20 for Ferox copy taken from VHS.
Downside, it'll take a week till be ready.
The VIPCO release is still selling at £17.99 to £19.99 in any stores that still have it in stock.
If Shameless got a version past the bbfc minus the animal cruelty and with minor trimming to the impalment scene , with everything else left intact then I recon it would definitely sell.
Look how well NY Ripper is doing and its missing its most talked scene.
Old 9th April 2008, 06:10 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Vipco mate,you not got a multi region player?FEROX is easily available in a deluxe uncut version.........
Old 9th April 2008, 10:41 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I got a multi region DVD player and a PS3 for Blu Ray but the only shop that sells imports charge £50 for the Grindhouse edition of Ferox.

Because of the situation in Northern Ireland you've a slim chance of getting any films in from Europe or the States as all parcels are checked at Customs.

DVD's are usually seized and my neighbour had his house searched by Customs & the Police for importing to see if he was copying and selling as the Police crackdown big time on illegal DVD's here.
I wouldn't risk importing as the chances of it passing through customs are slim.
Old 9th April 2008, 11:18 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Sorry for 2 posts but i've spent the ages trying to edit my 1st post but it wont save, anyway.
I've got most of the nasties uncut but I haven't got a uncut DVD of FEROX, only a VHS of Make Them Die Slowly, so when a mate told me he knew a fella was selling DVD's I asked if he could get me FEROX, and he could, so I ordered & payed for it.
Thats why i'd like to see a good UK version of FEROX, and Eaten Alive as i've only DVDR's or VHS for these films.
Old 10th April 2008, 05:47 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

With only the animal killings removed in FEROX the cuts are still going to be quite heavy about 3/4m. The killing of the Muskrat itself goes on for nearly 2m. I saw Deep River Savages (UK cut DVD) the other day, which only removes the animal cruelty. Can't say I liked the film, though I would have liked the uncut version even less.

Like this? Share it using the links below!