Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Why Don't Shameless Release...? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Cannibal Ferox /Bloody Moon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/why-dont-shameless-release/161-cannibal-ferox-bloody-moon.html)

vipco 8th March 2008 06:44 PM

Cannibal Ferox /Bloody Moon

I just discovered the Shameless label so dont know if its in the pipeline, but a fuller version of Cannibal Ferox would be nice.
I know the VIPCO release was pre cut when offered to the bbfc who removed a further 6s due to animal distress, but think alot of the pre cut material would easily pass the bbfc with only some of the animal scenes not passing if resubmitted again.

Bloody Moon is another film i'd like to see re released again as it is currently no longer available due to VIPCO's demise.

vincenzo 8th March 2008 06:57 PM

Vipco-wise I'm 100% sure that Night Of The Demon, House By The Cemetery and Toolbox Murders would pass uncut now. I'm pretty sure that The Mutilator would as well.

Bloody Moon may have a small problem with the snake decapitation (or maybe not) but that's all. The rest would fly through.

Cannibal Ferox would still lose all of the animal killings and most of the breast impalement. The climactic gore (eye-gouging, Radice's death etc) would pass without problems.

JAMIOUSE 8th March 2008 07:02 PM

Altough oddly enough on a Sky One documentry to do with Scary Movies, the breast scenes from Ferox were shown uncut. I remember having the Vipco DVD of Cannibal Ferox and the charcter just vanishes! I had to have a shower after watching Ferox, I've only watched the uncut DVD about 2 times in the 3/4 years I've had it!

vincenzo 8th March 2008 07:09 PM

Yes it's still a nasty film though I find Cannibal Holocaust far worse. I really couldn't see hardly anything being waived for that one even now.

I forgot Eaten Alive. This would certainly have the cannibalism scenes restored (the BBFC have already passed them in Last Cannibal World and Mountain Of The Cannibal God) though the animal footage would be removed as ever.

Angel 8th March 2008 07:14 PM

Somehow I can't see the uncut Ferox being re-submitted for some time yet because even though the cuts will be reduced they are still going to be fairly heavy. Some companies are less willing to accept heavy cuts than others. Here's hoping though that it will happen.

Angel 8th March 2008 07:16 PM

Vince, you have seen a lot of these cannibal films but are there any you haven't seen as yet or have you seen them all?

vincenzo 8th March 2008 07:51 PM

I tend to watch the uncut versions of the nastier cannibal films once and then dispose of them (ditto for Mondo Cane, Africa Addio and their ilk). I admit that the animal stuff is just too much to take. On the whole I prefer some of the zombie films.

Strangely I haven't yet seen Cannibal Terror which is one of the mildest (as well as being sheer drivel apparently). I enjoyed Cannibal Apocalypse (which isn't a 'mondo' cannibal as such) and even found Mountain Of The Cannibal God enjoyable and well-made in parts (apart from the animal footage) though the extended footage on the U.S DVD (the bestiality & masturbation scenes) almost made me change my mind. http://shameless-films.com/forums/im...ilies/ack2.gif.

vipco 8th March 2008 11:42 PM

I have most of the cannibal films in both Uncut & Cut form and i've a pre cert VHS tape on the GO Video label of a film called 'SAVAGE TERROR and its the worst cannibal film i've ever seen, its really boring with no actual cannibalism in it. You can buy it on DVD under the name PRIMITIVES, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's even worse than CANNIBAL TERROR and that was bad.

Now with VIPCO dead does anyone see FEROX, BLOODY MOON or even EATEN ALIVE being picked up by another company, maybe Shameless for a UK re release in a stronger version, anytime soon.? I think people wouldn't mind buying the cannibal films if only the animal footage was cut and I dont see BLOODY MOON not passing the bbfc in a much stronger version than the VIPCO release.

Vvncenzo, you mentioned Zombie films, do you like the Italian Zombie films, like Fulci's Zombie Flesh Eaters or the recent American Zombie films. I prefer the 80's Italian stuf, far more fun than todays efforts IMO.

Angel 9th March 2008 06:14 AM

Savage Terror sounds like one to avoid. Another one is Emmanuelle and the Last Cannibals which included some gruesome scenes - cut by the BBFC, although there is no real aninal cruelty apart from a snake being shot, but this is a very brief shot, difficult to tell whether the animal was shot for real. Anyway the BBFC don't usually cut "quick kills".

Wonder how the BBFC would cut the breast impalement in Ferox today? The previous heavy cuts to this film were their's from 1983 for an advisory rating. They probably wouldn't remove the whole scene today. Personally I can't see this or Holocaust being re-submitted for some time yet.

Bloody Moon also includes in one scene a woman being stabbed through the breast. This was one of the previous cuts and they still cut scenes like this today ocassionally but I think this would pass now as the effects are risible.

vipco 9th March 2008 11:37 AM

Savage terror has very little on screen violence but some animal animal cruelty and plays like a boring low talent jungle adventure. One to avoid.
To late about the Emmanuelle and the Last Cannibals warning as i've already got it on UK dvd and import vhs.
I only got the dvd to complete my collection of the cannibal films on dvd.

vincenzo 9th March 2008 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipco (Post 1669)
Vvncenzo, you mentioned Zombie films, do you like the Italian Zombie films, like Fulci's Zombie Flesh Eaters or the recent American Zombie films. I prefer the 80's Italian stuf, far more fun than todays efforts IMO.

I grew up through the video nasty era and the old Italian zombie films still hold a special place for me. I quite enjoyed the Resident Evil films (except for the 3rd) but they can't hold a candle to nonsensical fun like Nightmare City or Burial Ground. :)

vipco 9th March 2008 11:55 AM

Same here, I grew up during the 'nasty' era and still love the Zombie films of that time .
Great films.

Angel 9th March 2008 02:30 PM

Dawn of the Dead is my favourite followed by Zombie Flesh Eaters. For the worst try Zombie Chef from Hell.

vipco 9th March 2008 02:37 PM

They would rank as my top 2 zombie films as well.

JAMIOUSE 9th March 2008 04:00 PM

I have to go along with Dawn Of The Dead and Zombi 2 as well. I've often thought about buying the Mondo Cane dvds purely out of curiosity. How nasty in terms of animal violence are they Vincenzo?

vipco 9th March 2008 05:26 PM

If I may comment on this, I'd like to say that some MONDO films teature some very nasty animal cruelty, though IMO, MONDO CANE is one of the milder ones.
Addio Africa, Savage Man Savage Beast and Africa Ama are far far worse for animal cruelty.

Angel 9th March 2008 05:35 PM

Both Savage Man, Savage Beast & Africa Addio suffered huge cuts in the 60's and 70's. I suspect the cuts would be reduced now. One Mondo film the BBFC haven't seen is Brutes and Savages which was uncut on pre cert. Can't say I'm a fan of these films.

Angel 9th March 2008 05:42 PM

All the mondo films submitted to the BBFC were passed with cuts, this includes Mondo Cane but strangely a film called Mondo Cane No 1 was banned in 1963. Strange they couldn't have passed it with cuts.

vipco 9th March 2008 05:54 PM

Im not a fan of MONDO either, but saw alot of titles in the 90s.
In one MONDO movie film a crocodile attacked a wounded animal in a shallow river but its alleged the animal in the river was wounded and placed on a teather by the film makers, so it could move but not escape and they could get the footage they wanted.
Rumors of footage of 'wildlife kills' being filmed using techniques similar to this are rife concerning MONDO films.

vincenzo 9th March 2008 06:46 PM

I was prepared to give Mountain Of The Cannibal God the benefit of the doubt during the snake/monkey scene until the DVD revealed that the monkey was forced in front of it. http://shameless-films.com/forums/im...milies/mad.gif

Mondo Cane is definitely one of the milder ones. Africa Addio is absolutely vile and totally unwatchable at times. The gorgeous music makes the footage seem even worse. Incidentally Riz Ortolani composed the scores for both and would later score Cannibal Holocaust (and the equally animal-and-Candice Bergen-unfriendly The Hunting Party).

Haven't seen Brutes & Savages but Savage Man, Savage Beast is similarly revolting in parts (though the goat sucking the hippy girl's breasts is just bizarre). I've got Goodbye Uncle Tom but haven't got round to warching it yet. Not an animal snuff movie but not exactly a glowing light on Political Correctness either.

Angel 9th March 2008 08:03 PM

Let us know how you think Uncle Tom would fare with the BBFC today, Vince, when you get around to watching it. Last time it was only passed after about 40m of cuts for the X rating. Somehow I can't see anyone submitting it in the near future though.

That snake/monkey scene in MOUNTAIN was completely sick. I saw the Brentwood DVD of this.

By the way the re-make of Cannibal Holocaust is out next year. More animal killings like the first? It will be interesting to see.

vipco 9th March 2008 10:25 PM

Deodato said on a US dvd Special Ed. disc of Cannibal Holocaust that he regretted shooting the animal footage though claimed that all animals killed were eaten by the natives. He also said he just filmed the natives hunting and killing the monkeys in Holocaust as it happened and only one monkey had to be killed on his request as the original film shot of the monkey getting killed wasn't suitable.

In an interview after meeting Eli Roth, Deodato said that production had started on the Holocaust remake and it would definitely NOT contain any scenes of actual animal cruelty at all.
As Angel says the film is due out 2009.

vincenzo 9th March 2008 11:35 PM

Am I alone in not seeing the point of a remake of Cannibal Holocaust? http://shameless-films.com/forums/im...s/confused.gif

If the animal footage is stock footage culled from nature/wildlife documentaries (as I wrongly thought the snake/monkey scene in Mountain was) then so be it. I don't have a problem with this being in the film (though I still blanch a bit). When it's done for the movie itself (a la Holocaust) then I find it repellent and somewhat pointless too.

To their credit Vipco steered most of the zombie films - bar House By The Cemetery - through the BBFC uncut, and that was only cut due to a then-recent prosecution. They also got The Bogey Man through intact which I always thought was one of the best and most original of the video nasties.

Angel 10th March 2008 06:27 AM

Yeah Vipco finally got Zombie Creeping Flesh through uncut. They were going to submit the film to the BBFC in the 90's but James Ferman refused to view it claiming it wasn't time. It was very annoying that the BBFC at times refused to allow a film to be submitted, same thing happened with Death Wish and The Exorcist.

So no animal cruelty in the Cannibal Holocaust remake. Can only be good news. Fortunately films containing real scenes of animal cruelty are much rarer thse days. Remains to be seen if the sexual violence in the re-make will be as hard hitting but somehow I think even here the film will be toned down.

vipco 10th March 2008 11:27 AM

Apparently it wasn't till after Deodato saw Hostel during his cameo in Hostel 2 and showed Roth 2 scripts that the project was taken outta the pre production stage and given the green light.
He had long talks with Roth about the current level of acceptable violence in film in the US and this encouraged him to continue with the project.

As a collector of horror film, including the cannibal genre, and a fan of these films from the pre cert days I personally don't see the point of a remake of Holocaust as I see it as a 'one of film' that couldn't be copied.
Deodato refered to it as a 'companion' to the original in a recent interview so I dont know if he has a direct remake or a sequel of sorts in mind.

I'd love to see Shamless release a fuller version of Lenzi's Cannibal Ferox or Eaten Alive on dvd as mine is a Dutch U/C print of Ferox on VHS backed up on CDR plus the VIPCO cut versions of both and dont want to buy imports on dvd as well.
Importing into N.I. dosent have a high success rate as all packages are checked at Customs.
I prefer to support the UK labels and will be fully supporting any and all Shamless release's, wether I have a version of any future releases or not.

vipco 9th April 2008 05:18 PM

Just payed £20 for Ferox copy taken from VHS.
Downside, it'll take a week till be ready.
The VIPCO release is still selling at £17.99 to £19.99 in any stores that still have it in stock.
If Shameless got a version past the bbfc minus the animal cruelty and with minor trimming to the impalment scene , with everything else left intact then I recon it would definitely sell.
Look how well NY Ripper is doing and its missing its most talked scene.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th April 2008 06:10 PM

Vipco mate,you not got a multi region player?FEROX is easily available in a deluxe uncut version.........:confused:

vipco 9th April 2008 10:41 PM

I got a multi region DVD player and a PS3 for Blu Ray but the only shop that sells imports charge £50 for the Grindhouse edition of Ferox.

Because of the situation in Northern Ireland you've a slim chance of getting any films in from Europe or the States as all parcels are checked at Customs.

DVD's are usually seized and my neighbour had his house searched by Customs & the Police for importing to see if he was copying and selling as the Police crackdown big time on illegal DVD's here.
I wouldn't risk importing as the chances of it passing through customs are slim.

vipco 9th April 2008 11:18 PM

Sorry for 2 posts but i've spent the ages trying to edit my 1st post but it wont save, anyway.
I've got most of the nasties uncut but I haven't got a uncut DVD of FEROX, only a VHS of Make Them Die Slowly, so when a mate told me he knew a fella was selling DVD's I asked if he could get me FEROX, and he could, so I ordered & payed for it.
Thats why i'd like to see a good UK version of FEROX, and Eaten Alive as i've only DVDR's or VHS for these films.

Angel 10th April 2008 05:47 AM

With only the animal killings removed in FEROX the cuts are still going to be quite heavy about 3/4m. The killing of the Muskrat itself goes on for nearly 2m. I saw Deep River Savages (UK cut DVD) the other day, which only removes the animal cruelty. Can't say I liked the film, though I would have liked the uncut version even less.

vipco 10th April 2008 10:54 AM

I still dont see the animal cruelty in Ferox being as vicious as that in holocaust.
The muskrat/ coati mondi thing getting eat by the snake could be left in as i've seen worse in nature programmes, though they'd probably have to tone down the squealing noise , plus it looks like its an insert from some other film, something dosent look right. There's also the scene were Morgan knifes the boar/pig in the pit., its still partly allowed in the VIPCO and Replay UK releases, so that would stay.
Even with all the animal cruelty cut out Ferox would still remain a good film especially with the only scene of animal cruelty nessary to the story being allowed anyway (Morgan & the pig) as this scene establishes what Morgan is'nt maybe as nice a guy as he says.

VIPCO released House on the Edge of the Park with 11mins cut out and it sold. They also released the heavly cut version of FEROX, it still sells if you can get it for 19.99.
IMO an 'Extreme' Ferox would be a nice little title to have in any UK horror fans collection.

Angel 10th April 2008 11:54 AM

I would have thought the scene with the Muskrat would be the first scene to go...especially as it is the longest scene of cruelty. This was the scene the BBFC cut in 1983, it's highly unlikely they would consider waiving the cut unless the film makers can provide them with some sort of evidence that the scene was not staged for the film and that it was in fact stock footage taken from wherever. Personally I think the scene was staged for the film ie the animal was deliberately tied to the ground and then set upon by a snake. Obviously wildlife footage of animals fighting one another would be acceptable but a scene of prolonged cruelty that was, or appears to have been staged by the film makers for the film is highly unlikely to pass.

The scene where John Morghen stabs the pig was probably acceptable because the killing was made up of two very brief shots, you really don't see the animal suffering, just a quick stab and it's all over. Apparently Morghen didn't stab the pig himself, a double had to be used after he refused to do it. In the film you only see a close up somebodys hand stab the pig. Apart frrom this I've also read that the scene was faked although I find this hard to believe.

Scrapbook went out with 15m of cuts. Wonder how well it did?

Philleh 10th April 2008 02:09 PM

Scrapbook was also released uncut 'in error' I believe, on it's first pressing! lol

vipco 10th April 2008 02:34 PM

The same happened with Shogun Assasin in the 90's when VIPCO released their pre DVD 'Cult Classics' VHS range.
When I got mine from a small independent horror shop the owner who was friendly with the local horror fans told me the rest had to be returned due to a mistake as the uncut version was released instead of the uncut theatrical version.
It was the blue jacket with the Samurai picture in the middle box art tape.

The muskrat scene in Ferox is not protrayed as man inflicted cruelty but nature at work, its the sound that makes it hard to view. Maybe if the squealing was removed and a quick glance of the scene just to show why the muskrat was given to them would pass.?
The rest of the animal cruelty wouldn't be missed and we would at long last have a version of Ferox that lives up to the claims on the box for sale on UK stores.

What about Bloody Moon, dont you think an uncut version would fit in with what Shameless are doing.?

vincenzo 10th April 2008 05:44 PM

The UK cinema cuts to Shogun Assassin were so small it was silly the BBFC making them. I'm not sure if Ferman would have passed the eye-stabbing in 1992 when Vipco released it but the head cleavings would surely have got through intact.

I agree with Angel that Ferox would still have problems now. The gory violence would get through intact, and I'm pretty sure much of the breast impalement (bar the closeups) would too. The animal stuff would definitely still be removed.

After looking again at the cuts to Cannibal Holocaust I can't see much room for manoeuvre there either. Perhaps some of the rape footage may receive minor waivers if the editing is done well but that's about it really.

Bloody Moon would sail through uncut in terms of violence. Not sure about the snake killing.

Angel 10th April 2008 06:16 PM

Tartan were going to release Bloody Moon in a double bill with LINDA not too long ago but it was cancelled. What a double bill...except LINDA would still be cut today.

vipco 10th April 2008 06:24 PM

Did they give a reason for the cancellation Angel.?

Angel 10th April 2008 06:29 PM

Quote from Marc Morris

"Bloody Moon was cancelled quite some time ago due to a lack of decent film elements".

vipco 10th April 2008 06:36 PM

Almar. I think Angel deserves a promotion as she's definitely more knowledgable than 'Gore Hound' and as the ranking system is due to quality of information not quantity then I recon she's over due.

Marc M should be higher than 'Fiend' too.

steve 10th April 2008 07:27 PM

I think that you can get Ferox uncut from FNAC.com (France) as the film was released a couple of years ago uncut in a special edition.

It's strange because whilst I personally hate the scenes of animal cruelty I was glad to have seen an uncut version because it meant I could make up my own mind. I am not a huge fan of these films but there is a compulsion to see them.

As a teenage lad I was 'desperate' to see video nasties because I wanted to know for myself what the fuss was about. Most of the time I thought the banned films were nonsense.