Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Why Don't Shameless Release...? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Mark of the Devil (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/why-dont-shameless-release/190-mark-devil.html)

vipco 24th March 2008 06:16 PM

Mark of the Devil

Does anyone know if ' Mark of the Devil ' is available on DVD in the UK.

Angel 24th March 2008 06:38 PM

Yes it is. It's available on the Anchorbay label but it's cut by the 38s to remove a scene of sexualised torture. Still it's much more complete than the old Redemption video from the 90's which lost well over 4m. Difficult to say if it would pass uncut today. I think it has a chance.

vincenzo 24th March 2008 11:04 PM

Mark Of The Devil at Amazon
Mark Of The Devil at Play (vanilla release)

I didn't find the cuts to the ABUK release detracted too much from the movie (it's a few bare-breasted shots during the rack scene), and the violence & rape scene are completely intact. I used to have the Redemption VHS which was absolutely massacred.

I think it could well pass uncut now too. The sequel definitely would.

Redemption had a nightmarish time with the BBFC (or simply Ferman) back in the 90's. Although Witchfinder General made it through fully uncut, plus a couple of Pete Walker films, many of the others ended up scalped. Tombs Of The Blind Dead took a bit of a walloping too and is still cut today (16 secs from the rape scene), though again this also may well make it intact now.

Angel 25th March 2008 07:11 AM

Surprisingly the BBFC passed Tombs of the Blind Dead uncut in 1973, methinks however that it must have been the heavily cut R rated version that played in the US.

vincenzo 25th March 2008 11:14 AM

Yes I think it was. The running time was less than 90 mins. It looks as if the first VHS release in 1988 was the same print only with cuts (2 mins), as it was less than 80 mins long and the spoken language was dubbed English.

The Redemption & Anchor Bay releases were both the longer Spanish language print.

vipco 26th March 2008 12:14 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I too had the redemption tape of Mark of the Devil and Witchfinder. You knew the previously cut pieces of Witchfinder as they were of a different print.
Another film I was wondering about was The Female Vampire. Is it on current release.?

vincenzo 26th March 2008 12:47 AM

It certainly is.....

The Female Vampire at Amazon

Another former Redemption release that lost an un-vampiric 6 minutes to the BBFC back in 94 (the entire S&M scene was basically missing, as were the female masturbation and the hand-between-the-dead-girl's-legs shots).

The Arrow DVD restores much of the above though it's still missing 2 mins from the lesbian sex scene.

Angel 26th March 2008 07:09 AM

I think it was more of a sexual assault than a sex scene as the BBFC put it. Never seen the uncut version but it probably has a chance of getting through uncut today. The BBFC tend not to take women on women violence quite so seriously. Zone Horror showed it uncut.

vipco 26th March 2008 09:53 AM

Thanks again guy's. I love the music in that film.

vincenzo 26th March 2008 11:35 AM

The girl is stripped and then forced to have sex with 2 other girls, so yes I suppose it is more of a sexual assault scene really.

I've got the Zone Horror recording of the film and it would probably pass uncut now. Most of the sex closeups were removed from the Redemption video too though they've been reinstated in the DVD.