Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > Why Don't Shameless Release...?
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st February 2008, 08:42 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default UK rights?

I just had a thought, now that Vipco are dead and buried does that mean that they no longer own the rights to everything? They did have some gems in their catalogue and some titles are crying out for decent UK release like House By The Cemetery and City Of The Living Dead. I think the latter is the only release that has a commentary by Katriona MacColl, I know the Italian DVD has a commentary by some of the production crew.
Old 1st February 2008, 08:59 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

As time goes on rights will start to become available. City of the Living Dead could be my favourite Fulci so I'd love to do it. Of course it boils down to price and quality of materials.
Old 1st February 2008, 09:18 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Toolbox Murders and (of course) Night Of The Demon spring immediately to mind. Definitely ditto for House By The Cemetery too.

All previously cut but shouldn't have any probs at all with the BBFC now.
Old 1st February 2008, 09:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I've never understood why the 'poker' scene in Cemetery was cut anyway, far worse and more graphic things have passed the BBFC uncut. I can understand them not liking the 'nipple cutting' scene in New York Ripper. I would love to see House By The Cemetery get a Shameless makeover. I have the EC Ultrabit Edition but a better transfer must be available by now.
Old 2nd February 2008, 08:19 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Cuts like the "poker" scene murder in Cemetery were so common back in the 80's so it didn't surprise me that they cut it especially as the violence was directed at a woman. They might have considered passing a single shot of her being stabbed with a poker but 3 times and with the poker being embedded into her breast (or close to it) and all the blood gushing out etc there was no way it was going to pass. Quite a lengthy scene as well going on for over a minute. And the fact that it was a Fulci film didn't help either as all his films were being cut at the time. The BBFC's guidelines at the time were much stricter. Today it's all about nudity mixed with violence. There's no way they would cut the scene today though. It was last cut in 2001 because the BBFC were concerned about a conviction that supposedly took place in the 90's. I don't think there ever was one but they were playing it safe by cutting it again.

Last edited by Angel; 2nd February 2008 at 09:57 AM.
Old 4th February 2008, 08:54 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Shameless View Post
As time goes on rights will start to become available. City of the Living Dead could be my favourite Fulci so I'd love to do it. Of course it boils down to price and quality of materials.
Do it almar.....a definite coup for shameless this would be.....
Old 5th February 2008, 07:18 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

They're popular titles indeed, so materials shouldn't prove too problematic; in theory that is

As for the price, I can see it having a high asking price; the fact that it's a Fulci movie, one of the more popular of his oeuvre to boot AND gained a lot of attention over the last ten years from foreign buyers will all factor in the price drive.

Maybe we can get a donation going? ha.

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 7th February 2008, 07:53 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Gladly donate to see fulci's titles getting the shameless makeoverHow much do ya want?
Old 7th February 2008, 10:58 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Well funnily enough we are sitting on White Fang but can't really imagine anyone wanting it... or am I wrong?
Old 8th February 2008, 06:36 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Haven't seen White Fang but Brad Stevens said in the last DARKSIDE that the BBFC would cut the staged dog fight if it was ever submitted.

Like this? Share it using the links below!