Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > Why Don't Shameless Release...?
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st January 2010, 12:09 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
What version is the best to get of Night Hair Child?
None, to be honest. It's pretty awful!!!

No way in Hell the BBFC would pass it uncut. You might not see anything too outré but it is a thematic nightmare!

It's possibly worth watching as a curio if you can find a really, really cheap copy of it anywhere, but I doubt you'd want to watch it twice, so a VHS quality thing is as good as anything in this case.
Old 31st January 2010, 12:36 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

yeah not heard too many good things but its made me curious.
Might look around for a cheap bootleg...even though its naughty

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 31st January 2010, 07:08 AM
Cult Rookie

I really enjoyed it, it's quirky enough to be of interest. There's no way it could be called 'awful'. Especially when movies like Murder Set Pieces, Monster High and Anthropophagous 2000 are in the world.

Last edited by Schramm; 31st January 2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 31st January 2010, 11:41 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

The BBFC heavily cut it for cinema, then cut it further when it was reissued. It wouldn't be rejected today but, as with Private Lessons, it stands no chance of an uncut release under the Protection of Children Act.

I watched it again recently. It's not a bad film but definitely more for the curious. Britt completely dismisses it in her autobiography and admits she only did it for the money. No idea what Lester thinks of it now. The lucky little bastard charming little fellow.
Old 31st January 2010, 11:47 AM
Cult Rookie

Ha ha, Mark Lester has a lot to answer for....and lots of gossip to tell!
Lucky SOAB.
Old 31st January 2010, 11:54 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Not that I'm jealous or anything of course.
Old 31st January 2010, 03:33 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schramm View Post
There's no way it could be called 'awful'.
Fair enough, but I think it can quite easily be called "awful". It's really badly made, the plotting is confused and erratically paced and the performances - especially Ekland and Lester - are simply abominable. I haven't seen any of the films you mention as worse, but I am sure they are worse...they sound it from thee titles alone!

I agree that there is enough quirkiness to intrigue though, and it is a fascinating curiosity.

But it is a bad film, if an interesting one.
Old 31st January 2010, 04:34 PM
Cult Rookie

I see where your coming from certainly. Night Hair Child and movies alike are always a bit slow but once you've seen a few it becomes such common practice that you know what you are getting in to before you even press play. Our Mothers House, Girly and The Strange Affair all spring to mind.
I thought Britt was as good as ever, however I'm one of the few people who doesn't think that much to The Wicker Man so maybe my comparisons are all wrong.
I've seen so many of these kinds of films that the acting is kind of taken as a given. I don't expect a film about child abuse starring Oliver to be up there with Hamlet.
I guess what I'm driving at is I've seen a lotta shit. Night Hair Child is far from the bottom of the pile.
I don't think it's any worse than say, some of the Shameless titles to be honest.
Obviously this is all opinion, not gospel.
Old 31st January 2010, 04:36 PM
Cult Rookie

On a different but yet slightly linked tip, what are your thoughts on In A Glass Cage?
Old 31st January 2010, 05:07 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I loved Girly - thought everything that was wrong with Night Hair Child was right with Girly!

And yes, there certainly are many films a lot worse than Night Hair Child, but it just didn't agree with me, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schramm View Post
On a different but yet slightly linked tip, what are your thoughts on In A Glass Cage?
I have never gotten around to seeing it, would you recommend it? It's on my "do obtain" list!

Like this? Share it using the links below!