Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > Why Don't Shameless Release...?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th April 2008, 05:40 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Shameless' own DVD section?

I remember when Redemption were releasing their videos in the UK during the 90s, their video sleeves were stored together within the horror section. I don't know whether this was a policy encouraged by Redemption themselves, or it just evolved, but those black and white covers and white spines were certainly eye - catching and stood out as something different.

How about Shameless persuading the likes of HMV etc to do the same with their DVDs?

Those eye - popping yellow covers do stand out already, but having them all together in one section ( rather than being scattered about ) would surely attract even more attention? Plus, it would alert the casual browser / shopper as to all the other goodies you have released. Just an idea - but any thoughts?
Old 16th April 2008, 06:55 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I know what you're talking about mate,TERROR VISION by warner were also stacked the same,as were vipco,sattanica Tower Records had the right idea....good idea eh Almar?
Old 16th April 2008, 07:52 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

It's a great idea Mojo and the Shameless look as regulars know has borrowed from many old video elements. One of these is exactly as you say - I used to walk into the Tower in Glasgow and they had all the Redemptions nicely lined up which really made you want to own them.

The key reason why we have the spinebuilder logo on the side is to try and encourage stores to stock the range but the problem with that is that these days you pay for your shelf space - a lot! We can't afford to do what you'd suggest - it would cost a fortune and anything you see on display in a store has been paid for - it's got nothing to do with staff picks or stuff like that. We get less than £3 for each DVD sold which leaves sod all to even get stocked outside a horror section - hence why we're yellow so at least we scream from the shelves.

All that said though we have just concluded a deal - taken quite a risk to get better space and I'll reveal this in another thread I'm about to start typing.

But in answer to your original question Mojo it's a top idea if only it could happen. Never say never though and I really appreciate anyone putting forward ideas to help the label.
Old 16th April 2008, 08:37 PM
Cult Acolyte

Thanks for the reply, Almar.

It's a pity shelf space is so bloody expensive - but I've just noticed your Zavvi thread, which is great news!
Old 16th April 2008, 09:45 PM
Cultist

Send a message via AIM to snipsmovies Send a message via MSN to snipsmovies Send a message via Yahoo to snipsmovies

I must post a picture on here of how all the Shameless titles look in my rental store. I know its not from a retail point of view - but at least it will show how they positively glow on the shelf within my Grindhouse / Giallo section.

I'm stocking them in a slight blind spot - but despite that they really catch peoples eye, and bring on a whole slew of remarks - not all positive needless to say...... upon which there membership card is destroyed and they are asked to leave the premises
Old 16th April 2008, 09:49 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipsmovies View Post
upon which there membership card is destroyed and they are asked to leave the premises
Love it! Please do post up a picture of the section - sounds great. Also bug me to get a page set up on the site for information where people can rent Shameless titles. You'll be the only place on it but that's just dandy!
Old 16th April 2008, 09:51 PM
Cultist

Send a message via AIM to snipsmovies Send a message via MSN to snipsmovies Send a message via Yahoo to snipsmovies

.....forgot to ask about the Indie retailers. Are 'Forbidden Planet' still going ? How about 'World's Apart'. I know these guys can pretty much dictate shelf space on their own terms - contrary to HMV & Virg.. sorry Zavvi.

Are the bigger branches of WHSmith and Woolworths ever likely to sell Shameless films or are these retailers way off the beaten path of achievable goals ?
Old 16th April 2008, 09:54 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Yes I believe some Forbidden Planets stock us - not sure about anyone else. We don't get breakdowns of where all the DVDs go. If anyone spots them somewhere unusual let us know plus if any indi shop is selling or renting tell them to get in touch with us because next on the list is to make up a list of outlets to put on the site.
Old 16th April 2008, 10:23 PM
Cultist

Although high street sales are a priority, do you ever think you will get to Internet multi-buy promos - you know, like the ones Tartan sometimes have - 3 for £20 etc etc. I suppose you have to shell out some serious coin to have these prioritised at play, Amazon etc etc.

How are Tartan doing btw - IMHO their release slate has really deteriorated
Old 17th April 2008, 12:44 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

I'm sure one day we'll have some kind of deals but again you gotta pay for them. To get plugged on some sites costs a fortune.

As for Tartan I've not been keeping an eye on what they're up to but I do keep promising to go out to lunch with the PR guy so I'll try and get that sorted first and find out what they've got coming up.

Like this? Share it using the links below!