Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > Why Don't Shameless Release...?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th January 2011, 04:54 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Tanzi View Post
Did you have both VTC releases? The stand alone one and the one on a double bill with nightmare City? I was always under the impression that the stand alone one was uncut and the double bill one was cut.

Also VTC has completists who want to collect the whole label (as with a lot of pre-cert labels) and some people collect pre-certs and don't even watch them and just collect for the packaging etc. So I reckon it sold that high on the strength of it being on VTC and a pre-cert myself.

I'm not sure exactly how it worked but in short I had two Alien Terror VHS's both looked exactly the same externally. However in one print you see the little girls face that comes into contact with the crystal/rock.. In the other you dont. Interestingly the one that you do, I had still from my Video Shop days, and had one of those fake BBFC stickers on it that they issued until you could get the tapes replaced/returned for certification.

But still my point remains, why would there be any less reason for release than the likes of Mrs Wardh, or Almost Human. While Alien Terror is sci-fi horror granted unlike the others I still believe there is as much of a market for Alien Terror as there is for other releases.
Old 28th January 2011, 04:55 PM
Ex-member

My Dear Killer (2003)
Night Train Murders (2004)
The Black Cat (2001)
Killer Nun (2004)
No Shame (all OOP)

And I could go on...the point I was trying to make is there will be a perfectly serviceable new region free release of Alien 2 & the costs v sales would probably not be worth it...most other titles Shameless have released came out on other labels years ago (in some cases 10) & transfers can be bettered...multi region should be a no-brainer surely everyone who collects DVD should be by now? (it's not exactly cost prohibitive)...
Old 28th January 2011, 05:07 PM
Ex-member
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbarr View Post
multi region should be a no-brainer surely everyone who collects DVD should be by now? (it's not exactly cost prohibitive)...
Indeed, personally It annoys me when people complain when something is region encoded, in my eyes you can't be a truly serious film fan and collector of films with out being able to play other regions.

It's ok to be stuck in region purgatory if your a "mainstream head" who only buys the latest Hollywood movies but if your into Euocult and the like a multi-region player is as essential as food and water!
Old 28th January 2011, 05:16 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
My Dear Killer (2003)
Night Train Murders (2004)
The Black Cat (2001)
Killer Nun (2004)
No Shame (all OOP)

And I could go on...the point I was trying to make is there will be a perfectly serviceable new region free release of Alien 2 & the costs v sales would probably not be worth it...most other titles Shameless have released came out on other labels years ago (in some cases 10) & transfers can be bettered...multi region should be a no-brainer surely everyone who collects DVD should be by now? (it's not exactly cost prohibitive)...

Alien Terror 1982

I could go on myself....

If your telling me that there would not globally be a market for two DVDS of the same movie, one that has not been seen in nearly 30 years, then the whole DVD market rare or mainstream should shut down immediately. There is a big difference between a couple of years, and three decades!

Previous Shameless titles have followed other more recent releases and been successful, pretty much every Arrow releases has followed a US disc.

As for Multi-region, personally I'm with you, however people with superfunky gear that dont want to have their equipment stuffed when trying to make it multi-region will undoubtedly disagree with you. Not every multi-region hack is as simple as a couple of codes. What if they want to hear it on their Sony cinema surround system without having two DVD players plugged in at the same time?
Old 28th January 2011, 05:21 PM
Cultist in Training

I'd like to add, I'm a serious movie collector and buy from across the world. But FF Sake, if you can get something in your own region code why not do it?
Old 28th January 2011, 05:27 PM
Ex-member

Midnight Legacy @ their own (expensive) cost struck & transferred Alien 2...do you think Arrow would just be able to go in & use that print? of course not ML will protect the investment they made...Arrow would need to go in & strike a brand new transfer at high cost (the materials according to ML were in a terrible state)...and for what? a few dozen sales from people who have not picked up the ML disc?...Arrow shared transfer costs on some discs & in those cases it's more do-able (from a financial standpoint)
Old 28th January 2011, 05:36 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Midnight Legacy @ their own (expensive) cost struck & transferred Alien 2...do you think Arrow would just be able to go in & use that print? of course not ML will protect the investment they made...Arrow would need to go in & strike a brand new transfer at high cost (the materials according to ML were in a terrible state)...and for what? a few dozen sales from people who have not picked up the ML disc?...Arrow shared transfer costs on some discs & in those cases it's more do-able (from a financial standpoint)

There is a deal to be done... Their always is! And you honestly don't think they would cut a deal to cut their overheads... Which also brings me onto the point, if they are spending all this money to release it, what do they know that you don't! A proven market by the sound of it!

And as for a few dozen sales! Pah

Again your forgetting the European market, which in some countries its impossible to purchase a multi-region player cost effectively. We send Multi-regions out all the time, but some countries in Europe you just dont bother with, however DVDs they get fine.
Old 27th February 2011, 10:58 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Tanzi View Post
In my eyes you can't be a truly serious film fan and collector of films with out being able to play other regions.

It's ok to be stuck in region purgatory if your a "mainstream head" who only buys the latest Hollywood movies but if your into Euocult and the like a multi-region player is as essential as food and water!
Damn right and well said. I couldn't agree more.

Sticking with U.K. R2 output only gives the collector a very small piece of the DVD and BR pie. Whereas multi-region playability let's the film fan have every mouth-watering morsel!
Old 27th February 2011, 11:06 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Uhm,the "old" bd of Alien Terror was region free,I suppose the dvd will be as well...

Like this? Share it using the links below!