Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Why Don't Shameless Release...? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Films from the US of A! (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/why-dont-shameless-release/361-films-us.html)

Almar@Cult Labs 13th May 2008 10:04 AM

Films from the US of A!

This recommendations section of the site is heaving with films we'd love to put out but it's a slow process tracking down rights. Cannes is coming up though and that would offer a potential chance to start looking at films from the US of A because the idea was never to exclusively release Italian product - it was just a good place to start and as time goes on we need to look elsewhere to keep the quality and interest up. I certainly can recall many a good video renter from the 80s I'd love to see again - like a pile of those Charles Band Empire Pictures movies right through to little obscurities like The Video Dead.

Anyone out there got some forgotten US classics they'd like to see again - I'm thinking mainly from the 70s and 80s - everything seemed to turn to shit from the 90s onwards but then I'm a grumbly old git!

vincenzo 13th May 2008 11:27 AM

How about the cheesy but irresistable Slaughter High. http://shameless-films.com/forums/im...coolgleamA.gif

smileysmile18 13th May 2008 11:28 AM

I'd love to see a good release of Tibor Takacs' 1987 horror THE GATE! Starring a young Stephen Dorff and packed with brilliant 80's stop motion effects, the old R2 release looks like a vhs transfer. I've got a European copy but it's got non removeable subs. Kinda mainstream for Shameless, but I love it.

Almar@Cult Labs 13th May 2008 11:30 AM

See this is what I mean! I've been racking my brain trying to picture my old video collection and the old stores I used to frequent and those two had slipped off my radar - Slaughter High - Vestron - maroon box!

Scary!

smileysmile18 13th May 2008 11:31 AM

How about The Kindred then? Just cos I've always wanted to see it!

Almar@Cult Labs 13th May 2008 11:34 AM

Entertainment in Video - nasty little sleeve!

This was entertaining but not seen it in years - I remember it was uber-goopy rather than scary - had a few moments of tension though. Anyone revisited this one of late?

smileysmile18 13th May 2008 11:36 AM

Any Jeff Leiberman movie too, like Blue Sunshine, Squirm or Just Before Dawn? I don't think any of them are out over here, and the Shriek Show SE DVD of Just Before Dawn has come under criticism for being a cut version. Or hell, what about Pumpkinhead, or is that owned by a major?

smileysmile18 13th May 2008 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almar@Shameless (Post 5463)
Entertainment in Video - nasty little sleeve!

It looks like it was done by the guy who did those Palace releases, like Evil Dead 2, Creepers, Hills Have Eyes and Edge of Sanity.

Almar@Cult Labs 13th May 2008 11:40 AM

I think Pumpkinhead rights are with Contender - I'm pretty sure it's sold all the copies it ever will. Right little timewarp this thread!

vincenzo 13th May 2008 11:50 AM

I still have the old Vestron vid of Slaughter High. Cut alas (32 secs) but would easily fly through the BBFC now.

smileysmile18 13th May 2008 11:53 AM

What about classic Canadian horror? The marvellous Rituals, for example, or Spasms?

Almar@Cult Labs 13th May 2008 12:28 PM

Sorry Canada! Good point :blush:

Anyone remember the Assault on Precinct 13 style Siege that came out on the Thorn EMI label? Wasn't that a Canadian film?

gax 13th May 2008 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 5467)
I still have the old Vestron vid of Slaughter High. Cut alas (32 secs) but would easily fly through the BBFC now.

it might get a few secs cut.I've got a bootleg of the uncut print the part where frank and stella get electrocuted you get to see her boobs smoking a bit (4/5 secs) i no its not much but you no what the BBFC are like, they cut deranged because of blood on boobs and that's not graphic at all

vipco 13th May 2008 02:37 PM

Deadbeat At Dawn and Combat Shock are 2 US films that could do with a good UK release.

vincenzo 13th May 2008 03:57 PM

The BBFC's bloodstained breasts policy was heavily modernised a while back. Many films which were once cut for this are now fully uncut (ie Bogey Man, Nightmare City, Burial Ground etc). On the odd occasion that shots of bloodstained breasts are cut from a film it's normally because the woman is bound and/or tortured.

Deranged was last submitted in 1998 during the Ferman era. It would pass uncut today.

Slaughter High wouldn't have problems with the BBFC now either. Incidentally the previous cuts were to the acid bath and bed electrocution scenes.

dougal 13th May 2008 04:44 PM

Shall we mention Night of the Demon again ;)

How about The Exterminator or Vigilante Never seen either but I don't think they've had uncut UK releases have they?

vincenzo 13th May 2008 05:01 PM

Vigilante has never been cut by the BBFC (even the VHS releases were intact) though it has yet to find a UK DVD release.

The current Optimum DVD of The Exterminator is fully uncut (first time in the UK). The previous Synergy DVD was widescreen but cut by the BBFC.

VideoFluffyBunny 13th May 2008 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 5474)
The BBFC's [B]bloodstained breasts policy was heavily modernised a while back. Many films which were once cut for this are now fully uncut (ie Bogey Man, Nightmare City, Burial Ground etc). On the odd occasion that shots of bloodstained breasts are cut from a film it's normally because the woman is bound and/or tortured.

Which version of The Boogeyman are you on about as all the ones I know of are cut!!

Which Region exactly ?

Angel 13th May 2008 05:44 PM

Yes Deranged would definitely pass uncut today.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 13th May 2008 06:33 PM

MGM own the rights to deranged I'm sure......Four words Almar......NIGHT OF THE DEMON.....have you had a look at the Technically minded people thread yet?;)

FINAL TERROR definetly needs a decent release,.....USA releases?How about...
MARDI GRAS MASSACRE
NIGHT OF THE CREEPS
VAMPIRE AT MIDNIGHT
HONEYMOON HORROR
THE NESTING
NIGHTBEAST
SHOCKWAVES*
BERSERKER
BLOOD BEACH
BLOODY NEW YEAR
DEMENTED
DEVONSVILLE TERROR
FADE TO BLACK*
FINAL EXAM
GALAXINA
GRADUATION DAY*
THE LOVE BUTCHER
HUMANOIDS FROM THE DEEP
JUST BEFORE DAWN*
MANIAC
MOTEL HELL**
GALAXY OF TERROR**
NAIL GUN MASSACRE
NEW YEARS EVIL
NIGHTMARES
NIGHTMARE IN A DAMGED BRAIN*
SEWAGE BABY
POSSESSION
PREY
THE SENDER
RIPPER
SCARED TO DEATH
SCHIZOID
SILENT NIGHT DEADLY NIGHT
THE SLAYER*
SORORITY BABES IN THE SLIMEBALL BOWL-O-RAMA
SPOOKIES*
TERROR AT TENKILLER
TERROR IN THE AISLES
TRICK OR TREAT
VISITING HOURS
ZONE TROOPERS
THE TOOLBOX MURDERS*
SHOGUN ASSASIN*

*-Needs an uncut/decent release
**-owned by mgm but were licensed out to some cheapskate mob a few years ago.....

Peter Neal 13th May 2008 07:14 PM

"Forgotten Slashers box set"! "Forgotten Slashers box set"!

:cool::cool::cool:

There must be hundreds of as-of-yet unreleased on (proper/official) DVD US independent slashers made between 1979-1984.

I'd buy them in a flash - even if it would mean eating bread and water for two months.:p

Almar@Cult Labs 13th May 2008 07:57 PM

Yup - Night of the Demon has been noted! It's on the list to have a look-see. Nice reminder for Scared to Death there as well Reap!

dougal 13th May 2008 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 5477)
Vigilante has never been cut by the BBFC (even the VHS releases were intact) though it has yet to find a UK DVD release.

The current Optimum DVD of The Exterminator is fully uncut (first time in the UK). The previous Synergy DVD was widescreen but cut by the BBFC.

Yep - too true (note to self - check the BBFC website). Exterminator would look good in a nice yellow sleeve though wouldn't it? It always used to catch the eye in the video shop - the cover reeked of violence.

dougal 13th May 2008 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 5483)

MARDI GRAS MASSACRE
NIGHT OF THE CREEPS
VAMPIRE AT MIDNIGHT
HONEYMOON HORROR
THE NESTING
NIGHTBEAST
SHOCKWAVES*
BERSERKER
BLOOD BEACH
BLOODY NEW YEAR
DEMENTED
DEVONSVILLE TERROR
FADE TO BLACK*
FINAL EXAM
GALAXINA
GRADUATION DAY*
THE LOVE BUTCHER
HUMANOIDS FROM THE DEEP
JUST BEFORE DAWN*
MANIAC
MOTEL HELL**
GALAXY OF TERROR**
NAIL GUN MASSACRE
NEW YEARS EVIL
NIGHTMARES
NIGHTMARE IN A DAMGED BRAIN*
SEWAGE BABY
POSSESSION
PREY
THE SENDER
RIPPER
SCARED TO DEATH
SCHIZOID
SILENT NIGHT DEADLY NIGHT
THE SLAYER*
SORORITY BABES IN THE SLIMEBALL BOWL-O-RAMA
SPOOKIES*
TERROR AT TENKILLER
TERROR IN THE AISLES
TRICK OR TREAT
VISITING HOURS
ZONE TROOPERS
THE TOOLBOX MURDERS*
SHOGUN ASSASIN*

*-Needs an uncut/decent release
**-owned by mgm but were licensed out to some cheapskate mob a few years ago.....

There some cool sounding stuff in there. The nasties in there would all sell to some extent. Shogun Assassin - a nice uncut print of this would be a seller in the same mould as NOTD - it's a cult film that has transcended the genre thanks to Quentin Tarrantino bigging it up.

Blood beach - is that the one about a worm thing that lives in the sand?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 13th May 2008 08:38 PM

Yeah,it would look fantastic mate,but I don't think optimum who are owned by Studio Canal lease their titles out to anyone....:(....they used to via various labels,but I think that is why they actually bought optimum to release their VAST catalogue themselves....

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 13th May 2008 08:42 PM

GALAXINA would look good is a Shameless sleeve;)as would the superb MONSTER/HUMANOIDS FROM THE DEEP.....anyone know who holds the rights?
The r1 version I have is great but slightly cut and the oop Japanese r2 uncut version would require a mortgage broker to buy now...:mad:

gax 13th May 2008 08:42 PM

the video dead,vamp,society,from a whisper to a scream,Q - The Winged Serpent,freaky fairy tales.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 13th May 2008 08:43 PM

Al,why did MGM lease MOTEL HELL,GALAXY OF TERROR,EMPIRE OF THE ANTS and BURNT OFFERINGS to ILM a few years ago?Is this a route you'd be willing to go?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 13th May 2008 09:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gax (Post 5494)
the video dead,vamp,society,from a whisper to a scream,Q - The Winged Serpent,freaky fairy tales.

Region 4 Australian release.....excellent artwork...;)...as is MOTEL HELL....this is the versions I have...:woot:

vincenzo 13th May 2008 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VideoFluffyBunny (Post 5479)
Which version of The Boogeyman are you on about as all the ones I know of are cut!!

Which Region exactly ?

1. Lommel's The Bogey Man.
2. The Vipco release is uncut.
3. Region 2 (otherwise why would the BBFC cut it?).

VideoFluffyBunny 13th May 2008 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 5499)
1. Lommel's The Bogey Man.
2. The Vipco release is uncut.
3. Region 2 (otherwise why would the BBFC cut it?).

Oh! I thought the Vipco release (DVD ) was taken from the same print as the R1 version which was cut ?

vincenzo 13th May 2008 09:46 PM

Consult the BBFC's website. The cuts were waived in 2000 and the extended version was passed uncut in 2004.

Back on topic.

Q The Winged Serpent had a nice Anchor Bay release a while back. The Video Dead is definitely another title in urgent need of a UK release though. Ditto for Humanoids From The Deep (haven't seen this for years now).

Do I need to mention Night Of The Demon? http://shameless-films.com/forums/im...coolgleamA.gif

siccoyote 13th May 2008 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 5493)
GALAXINA would look good is a Shameless sleeve;)

Only a couple of problems with that
1)it's a sci-fi comedy that's not that funny (but still kind of entertaining)

and more importantly

2)The poundland disc was actually very good, uncut and the correct aspect ratio.

vincenzo 13th May 2008 10:12 PM

Some great titles on that list, Reaper. Toolbox Murders would certainly pass uncut now, and I'd love to see Mardi Gras Massacre & Silent Night Deadly Night get decent UK releases too.

Thought Nail Gun Massacre was absolute pantz though. http://shameless-films.com/forums/im...ilies/ack2.gif

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 13th May 2008 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siccoyote (Post 5503)
Only a couple of problems with that
1)it's a sci-fi comedy that's not that funny (but still kind of entertaining)

and more importantly

2)The poundland disc was actually very good, uncut and the correct aspect ratio.

poundland?what label is this on?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 13th May 2008 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougal (Post 5491)
There some cool sounding stuff in there. The nasties in there would all sell to some extent. Shogun Assassin - a nice uncut print of this would be a seller in the same mould as NOTD - it's a cult film that has transcended the genre thanks to Quentin Tarrantino bigging it up.

Blood beach - is that the one about a worm thing that lives in the sand?

Yeah it is mate.....

vincenzo 13th May 2008 10:50 PM

The Vipco DVD of Shogun Assassin is uncut but it certainly deserves better treatment than this. The widescreen print is one of the worst I've ever seen. http://shameless-films.com/forums/im...ilies/ack2.gif

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 13th May 2008 10:52 PM

Binoculars required....one of the few times fullscreen is better.....so Al,you must have something in mind?What'ya going shopping for?:)

vipco 13th May 2008 11:32 PM

So far I have seen the VIPCO Shogun Ass. WS in 3 slightly different version's of the same picture cover but all retail at 19.99 so Shameless would have a price advantage right away.

siccoyote 14th May 2008 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 5509)
poundland?what label is this on?

Unmarked, so probably Hollywood DVD.