Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > Why Don't Shameless Release...?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th January 2008, 02:47 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Default Raking through some stuff...

Ok so as Shameless progresses certain things are coming to light... Cut movies sell the best! Slutty covers also appear to do best!

Scary huh? Don't worry though as we're not about to pull the flush chain on taste altogether. Moving forward ideally we'd like to be releasing one well-known quality horror/exploitation film (good for punters in general) and then one rarity or curio that we think might sell per month. Our first release month combo of New York Ripper and Phantom of Death was really how it should be but when licensors suddenly quadruple prices or you discover your materials mirror the quality of a toilet roll you've rescued from the bowl you have to change your plans.

Anyway for you hardcore people in the know let's take a look at some potential stuff! Let's also bear in mind this is not what other distributors do!

As we should have the Short Night of the Glass Dolls coming up it would make sense at some point to put out All the Colours of the Dark perhaps? While we're on Martino how about Craving Desire and The Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh?

Moving away from amy pretensions of quality how about Margheriti's Alien From The Deep or Lamberto Bava's Monster Shark? Indeed should we put together a L Bava collection? I always liked Macabre and A Blade in the Dark is one of his better efforts...

Or why does it seem so hard to get hold of Lenzi's So Sweet So Perverse - does anyone fancy owning a copy?

So let's see what you all fancy. Do bear in mind that it's not worth us putting out obscure titles to fill holes in your collections unless they're likely to sell well. If that were the case there's plenty of shite I'd lilke to own! So let's have good reasons for and against and bear in mind that internet and international sales are a teeny proportion of our sales so far.

Really to date it's people picking up stuff physically in HMV which kind of blows away all the theories of the net ruling all these days. It has done for hardcore fans that would be true but right now we have to make sure what we put out will shift off the shelves. However that doesn't mean we can't be clever about how we push the titles so quality obscurities or uber trash like Ratman can still come out.
Old 20th January 2008, 07:46 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Without doubt the former nasty Night Of The Demon would be an excellent seller.

I mentioned it on the AB forums and the reaction was extremely positive. The full uncut version (which wouldn't be a problem with the BBFC) isn't available anywhere (other than DVD-R copies) and even the horrendously cut Vipco DVD is bizarrely selling well at the moment.

Shameless could really take the lead by releasing this one.
Old 21st January 2008, 11:14 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Totally agree notd would absolutely sell by the bucketload.......as i mentioned elsewhere,VIOLATION OF THE BITCH with the hokushin artwork,inflammatory tagline....what serious horror/exploitation fan could refuse?
Old 22nd January 2008, 01:03 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I like the idea of putting out Lenzi's earlier work - as it's indeed, very good!
I like the Sharksploitation idea too, and Bava is still pretty productive and in the spotlight quite often.

Any Gialli and Poliziotesco movies would be welcomed by me

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 24th January 2008, 01:23 PM
Active Cultist

agree with philleh about the sharksploitation thing, then there are gang flicks, italian rambo rip offs, nazi movies, cannibal flicks/jungle flicks WIP,etc.To be honest there is absolutely tons of this stuff

a few that are not doing the rounds at the mo but maybe worth a look-
death laid an egg
the senator likes women(has US release with Severin I think as Eroticist)
sodoma's ghost
earlier I mentioned last shark, but this is about to get a European release now.

Live Like A Cop (any deodato really)
raiders Of Atlantis
blastfighter

how about Rene Cardona's Cyclone, the disaster movie with probably one of the nastiest scenes I ve ever seen- I don't think that has UK distribution at the moment, and its got max out of hart to hart.

My blog has moved house: Italian Film Review Blog
Old 24th January 2008, 08:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman View Post

how about Rene Cardona's Cyclone, the disaster movie with probably one of the nastiest scenes I ve ever seen
What scene was that?
Old 24th January 2008, 10:27 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

I thought the 'dog dinner' scene was revolting.
Old 25th January 2008, 06:14 AM
Active Cultist

yeah the dog scene- too shocking. apparently not real though or so I have read- looked real enough to me.

angel, i blogged about The scene here-

http://bloodyitaliana.blogspot.com/2...christmas.html

and here

http://bloodyitaliana.blogspot.com/2...mas-is-ok.html

Last edited by herman; 25th January 2008 at 06:58 AM.
Old 25th January 2008, 06:27 AM
Active Cultist

Okay the argument for Cyclone..

Cyclone attempts to walk the fine line between exploitation and mainstream but attempts this while drunk. The results.. the film starts off straight down the line veers in and out of exploitation land then falls down firmly in the exploitation camp. it is not a widely known film over here but given the right exposure could prove as notorious as cannibal holocaust. There were stories that real human bodies were fed to sharks in that film though I am not sure, just when you think you are dealing with mainstream disaster movie (with added cannibalism) a scene at about 1hr 13 will floor you- such scenes build noteriety.

The set up is typical disaster movie in that all classes and walks of life are represented though this has a class struggle undercurrent with upper class dog owner who insists her dog (christmas) should have a ration and the middle class liberal tourists who decide to share then the fishermen who as workers take a practical approach to their situation.

The uestion they seem to be pre occupied with is it oky to eat the flesh of the dead to sustain their life. The priest says no, but its okay to use it as fishing bait apparently - this i the philosophy we are dealing with in Cyclone.

A mexican/italian coproduction it features max out of hart to hart as a wealthy anti union company boss and the bearded dude out of nightmare city.

this film deserves far more recognition than it currently gets ..

rgumnts againt, I am not sure rene carona jr or cylone is a well known title here, but it is reviewed in jay slater's zombie and cannibal book- i think there it is refered to as an exploitation quickie, i disagree - its a modern telling of the ragged trousered philanthropists with dog violence and sharks.

a good revivew of cyclone here:

http://www.epinions.com/content_3593...kin_id=8003929

Last edited by herman; 25th January 2008 at 07:02 AM.
Old 25th January 2008, 11:03 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

I remember seeing Cardona's Tintorera supporting Communion (Alice Sweet Alice) on a cinema reissue double-bill back in the early 80's.

Like this? Share it using the links below!