Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Why Don't Shameless Release...? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   What about the Mondo Cane series box set? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/why-dont-shameless-release/4459-what-about-mondo-cane-series-box-set.html)

floyd75dylan 23rd January 2011 01:14 PM

What about the Mondo Cane series box set?

Shouldn't be any problem with the BBFC, unless animal cruelty is in the pseudo-documentaries.

Inspector Tanzi 23rd January 2011 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floyd75dylan (Post 123703)
Shouldn't be any problem with the BBFC, unless animal cruelty is in the pseudo-documentaries.

They would get slaughtered by the BBFC, a lot of that stuff is staged.

nekromantik 23rd January 2011 02:49 PM

I would rather not see any Mondo movies on Arrow, fake or real.
Imo rather morbid people would enjoy watching them. But thats another arguement :)

I did hear one of the Mondo Cane movies was all real but I do know that Traces of Death was 100% real.

Jonny 24th January 2011 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 123713)

I did hear one of the Mondo Cane movies was all real but I do know that Traces of Death was 100% real.

Would you say that the original two Mondo Cane films (the ones featured in the BU box set) should be put in the same category as the Traces of Death films?

I'd say the Traces films were an exteme evolution of the idea first put forward in the Mondo Cane films but I'd also say that the original films are no where near as graphic or as crass as the modern day counterparts.

nekromantik 24th January 2011 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonny (Post 123821)
Would you say that the original two Mondo Cane films (the ones featured in the BU box set) should be put in the same category as the Traces of Death films?

I'd say the Traces films were an exteme evolution of the idea first put forward in the Mondo Cane films but I'd also say that the original films are no where near as graphic or as crass as the modern day counterparts.

I have no idea as I have not seen either :lol:

Jonny 24th January 2011 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 123824)
I have no idea as I have not seen either :lol:

What's this comment all about then? :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 123713)
Imo rather morbid people would enjoy watching them.

Mondo Cane (1962) is a pretty good film and isn't graphic or disturbing at all.
Riz Ortalani's song from the film, 'More' was nominated for and Oscar in 1963.

You should check it out.

nekromantik 24th January 2011 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonny (Post 123834)
What's this comment all about then? :)

Mondo Cane (1962) is a pretty good film and isn't graphic or disturbing at all.
Riz Ortalani's song from the film, 'More' was nominated for and Oscar in 1963.

You should check it out.

Oh my bad :lol:
sorry the word Mondo makes me think about movies such as Trances of death etc or any movie that is just a load of clips that show people/animals dead or dying. Imo its morbid if its like what I just said.

Paul@TheOverlook 24th January 2011 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonny (Post 123821)

Very well said, sir.

Jonny 24th January 2011 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 123836)
Oh my bad :lol:
sorry the word Mondo makes me think about movies such as Trances of death etc or any movie that is just a load of clips that show people/animals dead or dying. Imo its morbid if its like what I just said.

Absolutely, the word Mondo certainly does conjure up the shocking clips you see in those Traces and Faces films. Those later films that featured real deaths and gruesome footage of people getting injured etc are more akin to a 'mixtape' of scenes aimed purely to shock.

The original Mondo Cane films are basically 'travelogue' films showing different cultures around the world, at the time most folks hadn't left their home town let alone visited another country so they were extremely popular as they showed what life was like in other countries and highlighted some of the peculiar differences in those cultures. The first film even has a long scene showing girls in bikinis exercising on the beach. No decaptiations of prisoners being exectued in any of them!

There is a slant to the darker side of life, hence the title Mondo cane (A Dog's World), but it's nothing that shocking. A turtle can't find it's way to the sea and dies in the desert being possibly the grimmest thing in the first film.

nekromantik 24th January 2011 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonny (Post 123839)
Absolutely, the word Mondo certainly does conjure up the shocking clips you see in those Traces and Faces films. Those later films that featured real deaths and gruesome footage of people getting injured etc are more akin to a 'mixtape' of scenes aimed purely to shock.

The original Mondo Cane films are basically 'travelogue' films showing different cultures around the world, at the time most folks hadn't left their home town let alone visited another country so they were extremely popular as they showed what life was like in other countries and highlighted some of the peculiar differences in those cultures. The first film even has a long scene showing girls in bikinis exercising on the beach. No decaptiations of prisoners being exectued in any of them!

There is a slant to the darker side of life, hence the title Mondo cane (A Dog's World), but it's nothing that shocking. A turtle can't find it's way to the sea and dies in the desert being possibly the grimmest thing in the first film.

Yeah I just looked it up and it seems its not like Traces but more of a tribal type flick. :)
I did not mean to say your morbid btw was just saying people who enjoy mondo flicks such as traces are. :lol:
I seen clips of traces and its not entertaining at all, plus the over the top "voice over" which tries to be funny does not work at all and just comes across as a douche ha ha