Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > Why Don't Shameless Release...?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th June 2008, 10:45 AM
Cultist in Training
Good Trader

Default Promo DVD

How about a promo DVD with a magazine, with clips and/or trailers from all Shameless releases to date and maybe a profile of the company? How easy are these to set up? It could be a (yellow) card slip case rather than a plastic box if its cheaper.

DVD World has had promo discs on Jean Rollin and Jess Franco. Bizarre magazine had a Russ Meyer cover mount a couple of years back, which was nice. Maybe Bizarre would be a good place to promote Shameless releases via a freebie?

Not sure of the ins and outs and how these are done, but I can imagine such a disc becoming a bit of a collectors item. Again, has this been mentioned before?
Old 16th June 2008, 01:46 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

It's a nice idea Gore64 and one I'd like to pursue in some form or another if it could be done right. Most of the time you have to pay to get covermounted and that's thousands of bucks I'd rather was spent on sourcing quality film-making like Ratman!

Sometimes mags will pay for it if you give them the content free - talking of which back in the days when DVD World did cover-mounted VCDs with clips you can blame me for the stuff that was on there - I used to have a monthly panic remembering oh shite I need to pick some clips for the disc and quickly whizz through some discs and pick out some stuff.

Anyway... I have been vaguely pondering it but you've been the first to mention it. I do wonder at the value of discs - the likes of DVD Monthly have dropped their monthly DVD because these days people have DVDs coming out of their arses (well I do - ran out of shelf space a long time ago - very sad) - does anyone have time to watch freebie discs anymore? Or put it this way what would induce you to actually go to the effort of putting one in your player in this day and age? I'd be interested to see what Gore and the rest of you reckon.
Old 16th June 2008, 03:52 PM
Cultist in Training

**** yeah! I watch everything! But I guess I have reasons, I earn from it I'll watch it and write about it!

Even when I never wrote though I'd still watch.
Old 16th June 2008, 06:38 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

So you were responsible for the glorious filth that was dvd world Almar?
Is it still on the go by the way?
A fantastic read........
Old 16th June 2008, 07:35 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Shameless View Post
Or put it this way what would induce you to actually go to the effort of putting one in your player in this day and age? I'd be interested to see what Gore and the rest of you reckon.
I'd say it'd be a cost to far - the mags presumably charge pretty hefty prices for including a cover disc and then you've got the production, mastering, burning and packaging costs to deal with. I don't buy many mags these days - do they still run these sort of things? Plus what would you put on it? The trailers and some extended clips? Don't people expect full movies these days (I can't really see the Mail on Sunday queuing up to covermount Killer Nun somehow).

A slightly different tac would be to provide a free sampler to distribute in HMV etc - free with every horror DVD purchased. A point of sale sampler would potentially raise a lot of awareness.

Or another option - how about a Shameless magazine complete with covermounted disc. I think there's still room for fanzine style magazines which if they have good production values and with a prevailing wind could get distributed via Smiths, HMV etc. A one shot or even bi annual mag would be a good read - articles about each of the films, some general articles on Giallo and Italian exploitation etc.

But the big issue is that there are only so may hours in the day and I don't think Almar has many of them left - the poor fella seems to be scrambling around on cutting room floors trying to piece together The Designated Victim for us and as Shameless is basically a one man band that doesn't leave much time for the nice to haves.

"I'm saving your soul you ungrateful bitch!"
Night of the Demon
Old 16th June 2008, 07:42 PM
Cultist in Training
Good Trader

Didn't realise it could cost so much to produce a cover mount, I must admit. As I see it, it would be a way of introducing the Shameless 'brand' to a wider audience, but would obviously have to be cost-effective and you're right to say that it wouldn't be worth diverting funds to it that could be used on new releases. I guess most DVD magazine readers will have come across (not literally) a few Shameless discs, which is why I thought of Bizarre as they have something of a niche in the world of the outrageous and might be a good place to have such a freebie. Would stores (HMV, Zavvi etc) stock a sampler disc that could be sold for a quid or two - again would it be cost effective to produce? Once you have the rights for a film do you have to pay again to include a clip on a promo disc?
Old 16th June 2008, 09:08 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
So you were responsible for the glorious filth that was dvd world Almar?
Is it still on the go by the way?
A fantastic read........

Yeah its still on the go,and the only mag to properly give attention to Shameless. This months mag comes complete with a Pervert DVD, thats the movie Pervert and not a DVD about perverts.
Old 17th June 2008, 12:33 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Have Shameless not thought about a ' My Space ' page yet.?
Thats another way of reaching a lot of people as you can post video on your page , which would mean you could post the DVD trailers.
You could also use the rest of the page to list titles and stuff like that.

I don't know if this is similar to Facebook, so if it is please accept my apologies Sarah, as I really do know naff all about the internet and sites like My Space and Facebook,.
I only visit NBZ's My Space page to watch their promo vids and check tour dates , listen to a few tunes etc.

Might be worth looking into unless its the same as Facebook.
If it is then again , please accept my apologies Sarah, as no slight on the excellent work you do with Facebook was ever ment by my post.

Last edited by vipco; 17th June 2008 at 12:36 AM.
Old 17th June 2008, 11:55 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipco View Post
Might be worth looking into unless its the same as Facebook. If it is then again , please accept my apologies Sarah, as no slight on the excellent work you do with Facebook was ever ment by my post.
Nope - facebook and myspace are different beasts. But work in similar ways. Actaully myspace is superior in someways as it allows you to do more with the design etc. But it also has the capacity to look rubbish in the wrong hands!!!

It'd be a useful addition though as it's much more widely used in the US than the UK and has loads of horror groups on there - easy to start networking and promote stuff and a good way into the US market for some of the releases?

"I'm saving your soul you ungrateful bitch!"
Night of the Demon

Last edited by dougal; 17th June 2008 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Failure to know one social networking site from another when typing. Bad boy. Naughty boy.
Old 17th June 2008, 12:47 PM
Blogs Moderator

Default The Shameless Myspace

Hello,

Sam here. I was doing some work for Shameless around the time of the launch before real life came and kicked me in the arse!

I'm back now and I'm running a myspace for Shameless...

Here's the link...

http://www.myspace.com/shameless_screen

272 friends so far, but anyone whose on myspace can

a) Grab the code for a nice little banner to place on their profile

b) Post the banner as a bulletin and spread the word

c) Email their friends via myspace and get them to add the page

If anyone from here adds the page or helps promote it in any way, please message me on Myspace and say hi!

www.dvdisgo.com

Like this? Share it using the links below!