Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > Why Don't Shameless Release...?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th March 2011, 06:15 AM
Cult Rookie

Default Love Letters of a Portuguese Nun

Hi everyone. I'm not sure if anyone else on here has suggested this Jess Franco sleazefest from 1977. I am suggesting this film because i believe it has all the qualities of a great Shameless release.

I realise it already has a UK release, but just think what Shameless could do with the cover art? Would be a vast improvement on the Anchor Bay cover. Plus, Shameless needs more Nunsploitation titles in their collection. At the moment there is Flavia the Heretic and Killer Nun, which are both great films but in lonely company.

This film has alot going for it. It stars Susan Hemingway (who starred in another 1977 possible Shameless release "Women in Cell Block 9") and directed by sleazeking Jess Franco, and in German language.

I don't know if there is any following out there for this film, but judging how many of us love Nunsploitation films, i believe this film has alot going for it as a possible Shameless release.

What does everyone else think?
Old 16th March 2011, 06:47 AM
Ex-member

Great choice Maladetto!...of a great film (IMO one of Franco's best most cohesive works along with Venus In Furs)...for it to work with Shameless though?...I doubt it (the previous UK release by Anchor Bay in 2004 was cut by 6mins + )...it would be VERY unlikely any of these cuts would pass now (due to the age of lead actress Susan Hemingway)
Old 16th March 2011, 07:01 AM
Cult Rookie

Thanks Mbarr. I think it's a great film too, hits all the right spots.

The BBFC sounds alot like the OFLC here in Australia. An uncut print would be out of this world. If Cannibal Holocaust and Salo' are starting to get legitimate releases, one would think that lesser known euro trash cinema from the 1970's would be a cinch to get released uncut.

I guess we can just wait and pray.
Old 12th April 2011, 03:44 PM
Ex-member

Flavia is cool, yes. and Loveletters... is probably the best franco movie ive seen so far (which have been way too many).
Old 13th April 2011, 01:48 AM
Cultist

As good as it is to get Cannibal Holocaust through the BBFC nearly unscathed, I don't think you're going to see those films getting through without the same cuts being made. They've been cut/rejected under an actual UK law, which means the BBFC are obliged to cut/reject them, as they would be illegal to own otherwise. So basically if the sexual violence wasn't in breach by today's standards, they'd simply have to cut it anyway because of Susan Hemingway being underage.
Old 16th April 2011, 09:10 AM
Active Cultist

Not too sure about LLOAPN, but I for one would love a release of WICB9!
Old 16th April 2011, 11:21 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Women in Cell Block 9 is banned in the uk, the bbfc rejected it in 2004.

Like this? Share it using the links below!