Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Why Don't Shameless Release...? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Films I would love to see released by Shameless (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/why-dont-shameless-release/793-films-i-would-love-see-released-shameless.html)

g053584398 9th June 2010 10:31 PM

It is kind of frustrating to hear that Marc. Whilst I don't condemn any business or individual who wishes to make the most of their assets financially, it is rather perplexing. I mean do they honestly think that someone else is going to come along at some point and pay a fortune for a title that only has a limited niche audience, with a correspondingly small anticipated sales yield?

I remember rumours of a deluxe German release a couple of years ago, but all has gone very quiet on that front.

Marc Morris 9th June 2010 11:13 PM

Sadly a lot of Italian licensors are the same. That's why so many niche titles remain unreleased on DVD.

g053584398 9th June 2010 11:19 PM

It is a crying shame Marc, especially since there is nothing any of us can do to alter the situation.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 10th June 2010 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Morris (Post 85367)
Sadly the licensor wants way too much money - I've already asked, as have numerous other companies, I'm sure.

That's a shame. I may have to pick up one of the US theatrical cut releases instead. :(

Tombsy666 28th June 2010 04:21 PM

I would love to see MICROWAVE MASSACRE and ALIEN TERROR get a Shameless release, these are certainly two titles that have long been overdue for a dvd incarnation... how about it :clap::rockon:

g053584398 28th June 2010 05:37 PM

Do SHAMELESS have a list of possible releases that we might see as some of the next titles on the label?

James Morton 30th June 2010 01:10 PM

Films I would love to see released by Shameless

Quote:

Originally Posted by g053584398 (Post 85371)
It is kind of frustrating to hear that Marc. Whilst I don't condemn any business or individual who wishes to make the most of their assets financially, it is rather perplexing. I mean do they honestly think that someone else is going to come along at some point and pay a fortune for a title that only has a limited niche audience, with a correspondingly small anticipated sales yield?

I remember rumours of a deluxe German release a couple of years ago, but all has gone very quiet on that front.

I agree with you there.
I know of so many films that I wish would be released in the UK but no.
The brillliant French supernatural horror VIDOCQ and the excellent Spanish slasher TUNO NEGRO to name just two.
I have the French dvd of the former and the US dvd of the latter.
But I read that Tartan were supposed to release TUNO NEGRO but declined to do so, a few years ago I think.
These films are not arty farty but have an audience for horror fans in the UK.
Alas no to the distributors.
Whoever the distributors are, sometimes or most times, they will release films onto dvd which THEY think are good for them, forgetting about the horror fans.
These films have a cult following and you only have to search the net for the proof of that.
The distributors DO have the money to release these films,
I disagree otherwise.

Marc Morris 30th June 2010 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 89653)
The distributors DO have the money to release these films, I disagree otherwise.

For a distributor to issue a film on DVD the asking price has to be an amount that will be recoupable on sales of the DVD release. Sadly, In many cases the asking price is way too high, and the amount of copies sold low so it would be a loss making exercise.

g053584398 30th June 2010 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Morris (Post 89655)
For a distributor to issue a film on DVD the asking price has to be an amount that will be recoupable on sales of the DVD release. Sadly, In many cases the asking price is way too high, and the amount of copies sold low so it would be a loss making exercise.

And that is the crux of the matter. You can't expect a label to license a title at a high cost that they wouldn't be able to cover in terms of sales. I mean we are talking about niche titles after all and such titles have a small target market. There are excpetions, of course, such as the UK DVD release of Castellari's Inglorious Bastards that sold over 300,000 units I believe. But, of course, that only happened due to the publicity of the Tarantino film with a similar title.

I know that you Marc have enquired about many titles that we would love to see released but the sums just didn't add up unfortunately.

In some ways it is a shame that a greater percentage of the general population don't have an interest in cult, sleaze and cinefantastique, because then labels could justify higher licensing costs.

Almar@Cult Labs 30th June 2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Morris (Post 89655)

And then you have the fact that even if you could set a decent price the retailers simply won't accept it and expect a small company putting niche films out to match the terms of a big studio.