Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > Why Don't Shameless Release...?
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th November 2008, 05:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Silent Night Deadly Night would be a good release. Never been released in the UK...24 years on. The remake is out next month.
Old 18th November 2008, 12:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
Silent Night Deadly Night would be a good release. Never been released in the UK...24 years on. The remake is out next month.
On the BBFC site it says Silent Night Deadly Night 2 was refused a video cert in 1987.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 18th November 2008, 03:39 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

It certainly was. It was submitted just a few months after the Michael Ryan/Hungerford massacre, which didn't exactly endear it to Mr Ferman.

The original would also have had BBFC problems as well had it been submitted back then. Neither film would raise an eyebrow today.
Old 12th December 2008, 08:16 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

id like to see The Stuff in a yellow box.
Old 12th December 2008, 08:28 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

As I recall the money being asked for was too much - either that or someone else was sitting on UK rights - must revisit that one to double check.
Old 13th December 2008, 12:32 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

A decent Extreme version of Cannibal Ferox and Eaten Alive (Lenzi).

The VIPCO versions were butchered and are now unavailable and even though I have both films uncut by several DVD companies ,I would definetly buy Shameless Extreme versions.
You could even have one of those pre cert style warnings on the jacket.

It would be a shame if 2009 came and passed by and Ferox was still unavailable in the UK.
Old 13th December 2008, 01:35 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I doubt the likes of Ferox will ever get an uncut release in the UK, the animal violence will never be passed by the BBFC. But yeah, why not do an 'Extreme Shameless Continental Version' and we can all buy it from Amsterdam, just like in the good old days of VHS tape collecting.

I've long been a fan of the Italian cannibal sub-genre, so if Shameless dip into these waters, I'll be queuing up for them.
Old 13th December 2008, 04:26 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Shameless could do an Extreme UK version , minus the animal violence for the UK as VIPCO's release was the old cut REPLAY release minus 2 mins .
Almost all human violence was pre cut from both.

It would definetly sell well, as an indie store I use say its his most requested title and sells at 20 a pop.

Im sure the BBFC would have no problem with the human violence now, even the impalement sceen as long as it was pre trimed and well edited .

This really is a ' Nasty' classic, plus its a major title. It would be a sin if it was allowed to fade into obscuerity here for the UK buyer , and it definetly has cross over appeal so it would do well at the till.

NY RIPPER sold well on its 'Nasty' status, even though it was cut, I think an Extreme UK Ferox would do even better for Shameless .
The Ferox title alone would push the Shameless name into a house hold name with DVD buyers as its such a noterious film, and would spark interest in the Shameless back catalogue from those new to Shameless .
Old 13th December 2008, 06:13 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

It's more likely that Blackhorse would re-release them, and even then they'd be the same cut prints (a la Cannibal Holocaust).
Old 13th December 2008, 09:44 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

In spite of the unpleasant animal cruelty, Ferox and Holocaust need to be seen in their uncut entirety for the full, visceral impact. Especially Holocaust, as it's an indictment of the mondo craze and irresponsible reporting that Deodato was commenting on. Maybe a misguided way to do it, but it's what's made the film so notorious. The first time I saw Cannibal Holocaust, it left a HUGE impression on me and was not easily forgotten. It impacted me in a way no other film ever has - it is a haunting and cruelly beautiful film, in spite of much of the on-screen unpleasantness. I don't agree with harming animals, but Holocaust is what it is. A film of its time when filmmakers and audiences had different attitudes - it was a time when Mondo was very popular. Thankfully we live in different times and filmmakers (for the most part) no longer use such methods to shock audiences.

Like this? Share it using the links below!