Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > Why Don't Shameless Release...?
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th November 2008, 12:29 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Nah green is boring. Come on, red looks great on the shelf. Who's with me?
Old 7th November 2008, 09:29 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

You know if having green and white striped editions and red ones and blue ones is what it takes to make some money then hell yeah!

Some re-sleeves are certainly something we'd like to look into - again once we start looking into this you guys will be the first to know.
Old 7th November 2008, 10:16 AM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Shameless View Post
Added to that we've been having some long meetings to determine if there will be a DVD industry in the UK in 2009 (a bit overdramatic but for indies it's just nuts at the moment) and whether Shameless would continue.
Is the fall in DVD sales really that dramatic? I know hardly anyone (including myself) who's actually made that switch. DVDs are just much better value for money compared to BluRay - particularly when you're on a budget. I mean, when I walk into Zavvi and see 2 BluRay for £30 or 5 DVDs for the same amount I know straight away which way I'm heading!
Old 7th November 2008, 10:18 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

I'm referring there to indies getting stocked in the few stores left that will carry them. There's really only one that counts and that makes all of us very vulnerable and plenty have gone bust or are on their way out. As for majors product in supermarkets etc no worries there - sales are as hearty as ever!
Old 7th November 2008, 11:15 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

A stupid question perhaps, but do you even need brick and mortar stores now to break even? Personally I do most of my shopping online because for a start it's more convenient and it's where all the best deals are. In HMV they're selling the Diary Of The Dead tin for £10 but on their website it's £7. It seems that I'm coming back from Birmingham city with fewer and fewer DVDs and CDs because it's hard to find good deals in the shops there. And judging by things I read on forums most people are in the same boat and mostly use Amazon and that now.

It's just a shame Play don't get their stock sorted out because that must be costing you a lot of money. Even their marketplace section was quiet last time I checked regarding Shameless DVDs.
Old 7th November 2008, 11:28 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

This is the thing that surprises people and certainly did me. A good two-thirds plus of our sales are done through bricks and mortar. The thing is hardcore fans know the films, know all the versions and where to order etc. That's not enough trade to support a label hence why we put out films available elsewhere because a lot of our sales (we reckon) some from casual browsers - to lose that trade would kill us for sure.

That said it is WAY to hard to order our titles online - it drives us into the depths of despair but this is in hand to change for 2009. Certainly we appreciate everyone who makes the effort to buy every title - it ain't easy!
Old 7th November 2008, 06:09 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

You should set yourself up an eBay shop, it may land you (or a lackey if you have one) a bit more work, but it could work out at the right price.
Old 7th November 2008, 06:42 PM
Cult Rookie

There is of course the unavoidable fact that the DVD's for under a fiver each and 3 for £20 style promotions, whilst good brick and mortar money-spinners for the major studio's are unsustainable here in UK for smaller indie labels who are generally considered fortunate to shift a couple of thousand units of more niche orientated genre titles.
Old 8th November 2008, 06:01 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Brick and mortar places are a must-I wouldn't have a business if everything was done online-EVERY supplier NEEDS brick and mortar outlets.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 8th November 2008, 10:50 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I got the majority of my Shamless disc's in HMV.

Like this? Share it using the links below!