Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > Why Don't Shameless Release...?

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th May 2012, 10:13 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Default More Giallo Goodness, Please....

I'd love to see Shameless tackle some of the lesser known Giallo's as well as the better known ones. It's about time the Giallo came of age in the UK and that UK film fans were introduced to the wonderful world of the Italian Giallo. Titles I'd like to see would be...

Libido
The Third Eye
Murder Clinic
Deadly Sweet
Death Laid an Egg
The Sweet Body of Deborah
A Black Veil for Lisa
Paranoia
So Sweet ....So Perverse
Interrabang
A Quiet Place to Kill
The Man with Icy Eyes
Cross Current
The Bloodstained Butterfly
Amuck
The Slasher ....Is The Sex Maniac!
Knife of Ice
Crimes of the Black Cat
Death Carries a Cane
Blue Eyes of the Broken Doll
Sex of the Witch
The Killer Resrved Nine Seats

And the list goes on and on of films that still remain unreleased. There's a literal treasure mine of films to be unearthed and Shameless seem to be the guys to do it.

So how about it?
Old 7th May 2012, 10:35 AM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I'm not much of a Giallo fan these days but I'd double dip on "Deadly Sweet" as it's such a compact, near perfect film for me.
Daemonia likes this.
Old 7th May 2012, 11:02 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Cecchi Gori seem to have remastered a lot of gialli catalogue titles and Cinekult is releasing these in Italy (not English friendly),would be nice if Shameless went after some of those...

Libido is coming shortly from Cinekult btw as is Interrabang and they've already released lots of great titles...
Daemonia likes this.
Old 7th May 2012, 11:37 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

A lot of the titles you mention Daemonia have been released on DVD in Europe or Japan but may be out of print now.

For instance, I have Bloodstained Butterfly, Crimes of the Black Cat, Sweet Body of Deborah, Death Carries a Cane, Knife of Ice and Death Laid an Egg. Admittedly the latter two were issued in Japan nine or ten years ago and are long out of print. I do seem to remember something about Knife of Ice getting reissued fairly recently It's still worth bearing in mind their availability in the event that they appear ridiculously cheap on eBay.

Deadly Sweet and Blue Eyes of a Broken Doll both came out in the US, the latter was issued by BCI/Eclipse but is out of print.
Old 7th May 2012, 11:47 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I'm aware that a few have had Euro or Japanese releases, but they're pretty inaccessible for many fans - and Japanese releases do seem to be ridiculously expensive sometimes.

If they were to get UK releases via Shameless (or even Arrow) I think they would do well due to the inaccessibility of the other releases. But I do take your point, Paul, and I can often be found scouring the likes of eBay looking for hard-to-find titles. I just think it's about time the Giallo gained a wider audience and that fans new (and old) to the genre can readily get hold of titles.

For instance, when Shameless released The Designated Victim, it was a title I wasn't familiar with (hadn't even really heard of it, to be honest) and so I got a copy. I was knocked out by it, truly one of the greatest films I'd ever seen. I just couldn't understand why it was so little known. A real gem. Which leads me to wonder how many 'hidden gems' are waiting just to be (re-)discovered.
Old 7th May 2012, 11:58 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Designated Victim is amazing, I love it! The Shameless disc I'd much better than the German release from NEW, btw.

Last time I saw Garwin (owner of Shameless and Argent) I mentioned that Black Veil for Lisa would be a good title for him to release.
Old 7th May 2012, 12:30 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

A Black Veil for Lisa would be a great title to release. It'd also be nice to see a UK release of The Perfume of the Lady in Black. I know it's had a decent Italian and R1 release, but it's a film UK audiences should be introduced to.
Old 7th May 2012, 12:37 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Every day that goes by without a remastered release of Death Laid An Egg God kills a puppy and a kitten.
Daemonia, Pete and Demoncrat like this.
Old 7th May 2012, 12:51 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post

For instance, when Shameless released The Designated Victim, it was a title I wasn't familiar with (hadn't even really heard of it, to be honest) and so I got a copy. I was knocked out by it, truly one of the greatest films I'd ever seen. I just couldn't understand why it was so little known. A real gem. Which leads me to wonder how many 'hidden gems' are waiting just to be (re-)discovered.
I had a very similar experience with The Designated Victim and also Watch me When I Kill. As good as Shameless' recent releases have been, they have been a little on the 'safe' side or have previously been available elsewhere. I'd love to see something a little more leftfield and any of Daemonia's list would be great . I suppose, at the end of the day, it has to come down to the bottom line and these sort titles must present something of a financial risk.
Daemonia likes this.
Old 7th May 2012, 01:43 PM
Cult Addict

Eyeball. Get it released now.

DVD and BD collection

Like this? Share it using the links below!