Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Why Don't Shameless Release...? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Anthropophagus the beast And Absurd 2 disc boxset (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/why-dont-shameless-release/8951-anthropophagus-beast-absurd-2-disc-boxset.html)

Gothmogxx 16th June 2012 07:46 PM

Anthropophagus the beast And Absurd 2 disc boxset

I know a few similar threads have already been posted regarding Anthropophagus And Absurd, but I would like to see both of these films given a Shameless make-over on a two disc boxset:pop2::pop2::pop2:.

Vampix 16th June 2012 08:12 PM

Whether packaged together or separately, I'd like to see both released by Shameless, especially Anthropophagus.I'm sure they would pass uncut nowadays.I've currently got the Shriek Show 2-DVD set of Anthro and mya's Absurd DVD.

Koukol 25th June 2012 12:45 AM

I have the Shreik Show DVD as well.
What would be great is having a BD release like the German DVD set which includes the Italian music AND the American music (something the SS doesn't have)

GangsterQ 28th June 2012 02:53 PM

The shriek show Anthropophagous dvd is great, so a new release would not be necessary for me. However it will be interesting to see how the cover artwork turns out.

As for Absurd: yeah it was released by Mya, so you know what to expect. The pic quality was not bad though (except for the inserted footage of horrible quality). I don't know a lot about this movie, but I doubt Shameless can get it much better (though I would hope so), unless another source was used than mya did, esp talking about the inserts.

Anyway, for people who don't even know "Anthropophagous" yet, I think it is a good idea. With 'Absurd' added, you get a nice combo and the package could look very nice. A Blu-Ray release would be so much better though.

saw 30th June 2012 08:52 AM

I think MGM might own the UK rights to these films. Shameless would have to sub-license them, which may be prohibitive cost-wise.

Decent films though, and "Anthropophagus" could do with an upgrade from the dodgy SS and Astro transfers.

I'm surprised "Absurd" hasn't had a decent release in France, where it was a box office hit theatrically.

Splatterdragon73 5th July 2012 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saw (Post 254243)
I think MGM might own the UK rights to these films. Shameless would have to sub-license them, which may be prohibitive cost-wise.

I'm guessing Second Sight may be liasing with MGM, what with the former company recently releasing an improved ROTLD in the U.K. and also From Beyond in the pipeline on the same label. Both of these titles issued by MGM in The States. So, maybe Joe D'Amato's carnage-crammed capers could find a British lease of life via SS if Shameless can't work their magic.:)

Gothmogxx 27th September 2012 02:55 PM

Just to bring this thread back to attention... WE NEED THESE MOVIES SHAMELESS!

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th September 2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gothmogxx (Post 276169)
Just to bring this thread back to attention... WE NEED THESE MOVIES SHAMELESS!

The Shriek Show release would still be the one to have as Shameless don't really do extras.

Rik 27th September 2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 276185)
The Shriek Show release would still be the one to have as Shameless don't really do extras.

Or decent artwork these days :rolleyes:

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th September 2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 276188)

:lol:

Gothmogxx 27th September 2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 276185)

True, although Cannibal Holocaust and House on the Edge of the Park had really good extras. Actually I was wondering, do any of the Shameless releases have directors commentaries?

Gothmogxx 27th September 2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 276188)

Hopefully the artwork for The House With the Laughing Windows will be an improvement over Amsterdamned:)

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th September 2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gothmogxx (Post 276194)
True, although Cannibal Holocaust and House on the Edge of the Park had really good extras. Actually I was wondering, do any of the Shameless releases have directors commentaries?

I think the main problem is that Athropophagus is a bit crap. :lol:

Rik 27th September 2012 04:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 276196)

For that comment you can have one of these!

Attachment 81915

:lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th September 2012 04:36 PM

Its very dull.

James Morton 27th September 2012 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 276196)

agree
bought the R1 Shriek Show 2xdisc dvd a long time ago
and Mya's ABSURD
didn't think much of both and sold them

Rik 27th September 2012 04:41 PM

Yep, they're both very dull, I agree but they're still enjoyable in a so bad they're good kinda way, much like half of the Shameless back catalogue tbh

Hawkmonger 27th September 2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gothmogxx (Post 276194)

The Designated Victim has some astounding extra's, including a Lucidi commentary. Also, Baba Yaga has 2 great documentary's on Carido Crepax.

JAMIOUSE 27th September 2012 05:48 PM

There both very dull films but Absurd has a sightly faster pace. Anthro really is tedious and mostly makes no sense, still the location work is lovely to look at.

davcol 27th September 2012 06:41 PM

anthropophagus is just a dull watch from start to finish and if its already available from shriek show the whats the point anyway ?
thers lots of poliziotteschi and spaghetti westerns that could be released instead.

Mojo 27th September 2012 06:50 PM

I like Absurd - it lives up to its title!

Vampix 27th September 2012 11:34 PM

I don't find Anthropophagus dull at all, I think it's great! I've got the Shriek Show double discer but if Shameless were to release it I'd buy it again for sure.I like Absurd too.I still wince when watching that poor guy get his head sawn down the middle.

Crimson Blade 28th September 2012 04:45 AM

Never seen Absurd, but i absolutely love Anthropophagus as well.
Sure, it does drag at times, but it's extremely atmospheric and stars some of my Euro favourites too.
Highly recommended.
And a film i'd love to see get released on Blu-ray.

Wes 28th September 2012 07:01 PM

Yeah, I think Anthropophagous gets shit on too much, sure it's a bit dull, but I think the film has some creepy atmosphere, and George Eastman's monster is pretty great, I wonder did D'Amato and Eastman have Gary Sherman's subterranean horror Death Line in mind during the production of the film - not only does George Eastman's monster share a certain resemblance to the cannibal in Death Line, there's a sequence in Anthropophagous, set in a catacomb littered with chewed up, rotting corpses, which looks like it was inspired by the marvellous tracking shot inside the cannibal's lair in the Sherman film...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-10w8JRr792...pophagous6.jpg

Daemonia 29th September 2012 01:31 AM

I agree. I think people go into Anthro expecting buckets of gore. I find it creepy and unsettling. I think it's great.

Hawkmonger 29th September 2012 09:11 AM

Love Anthropophagus. It's almost Amicus in it's use of creepy caticumb's and what gore there is is really effctive.

Wes 29th September 2012 07:12 PM

Anthropophagous has a nice Hitchcockian cameo by Joe D'Amato early on in the film... this may be the first and last time Hitchcockian and Joe D'Amato are spoken in the same breath... I do like his films though, he could turn on the good stuff when required...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-OQPi5JVQDH...pophagous2.jpg

Vampix 29th September 2012 09:49 PM

I'd love to see Shameless release D'Amato's Beyond the Darkness.It's probably my favourite film of his, with Anthropophagus running it a very close second.

Gothmogxx 3rd December 2012 03:32 PM

Shameless... Here is a reminder for how successful these two titles would be if released! We need these!!

davcol 3rd December 2012 05:40 PM

Anthropophagus is a really boring film, never seen Absurd theres a version floating about called Horrible by Mya, meant to be crap also.

Vampix 4th December 2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davcol (Post 298152)
Anthropophagus is a really boring film, never seen Absurd theres a version floating about called Horrible by Mya, meant to be crap also.

I've noticed Anthropophagus does divide fans opinions in that there are those who love it (like me) and those who think it's boring rubbish.There are quite a few who prefer the follow-up Absurd to Anthro too.I personally don't.I've got both flicks on DVD already, but I'd love to see them released uncut by Shameless.I'd definitely buy both. :nod:

Wes 5th December 2012 07:55 PM

At this point can I just ask if anyone from the label actually hang around this forum ? Because I'm thinking MGM own Absurd and I imagine Shameless would not have the funds to license this title. It would be great if someone on the label came on just to tell me I'm dead wrong...

Daemonia 10th December 2012 10:11 AM

I think both Anthro and Absurd are great films. I can understand, though, why Anthro might not appeal to some people. On the face of it not a lot happens, but I find the brooding atmosphere really menacing and the first reveal of the beast in the flashes of lightning are very effective and creepy. I like it a lot. Absurd is completely different and has faster pacing and more gore and grue and I like that too.

So yes, I'd buy both if Shameless (or even Arrow) put this pair out.

hallo37 10th December 2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 299104)
At this point can I just ask if anyone from the label actually hang around this forum ? Because I'm thinking MGM own Absurd and I imagine Shameless would not have the funds to license this title. It would be great if someone on the label came on just to tell me I'm dead wrong...

I think I read somewhere that MGM hold the rights for these two. If there was a fitting label to release these it would be Shameless, although Second Sight have been churning out the MGM titles lately. I think these two would get through the BBFC unscathed these days as well, but they do seem to even now make baffling decisions.

Daemonia 11th December 2012 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hallo37 (Post 300559)
I think I read somewhere that MGM hold the rights for these two. If there was a fitting label to release these it would be Shameless, although Second Sight have been churning out the MGM titles lately. I think these two would get through the BBFC unscathed these days as well, but they do seem to even now make baffling decisions.

MGM hold the rights to the edited version entitled The Grim Reaper. This might actually be considered a completely different film to Anthropophagous. Not sure how copyright law would work in that regard.

davcol 11th December 2012 08:39 AM

You also have to bear in mind that theres no guarantee that it would pass uncut, it should do as the scene in question looks plain silly but it may offend the censores due to bad taste.
Absurd would be the safer bet of the two.

Vampix 11th December 2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davcol (Post 300740)
You also have to bear in mind that theres no guarantee that it would pass uncut, it should do as the scene in question looks plain silly but it may offend the censores due to bad taste.
Absurd would be the safer bet of the two.

The fetus-munching scene in Anthro may have trouble being passed completely uncut as the concept is highly offensive.The actual scene with its crude FX work is very phoney looking though.

PaulD 11th December 2012 10:20 AM

I'd have thought the fetus but would pass uncut easily to be honest. Doesn't seem to be in contravention of current BBFC policy. Bad taste isn't really an issue these days

Wes 11th December 2012 10:23 AM

A few days ago I might have said that Anthropophagus would have sailed past the Board, but reading the article below I'm not so sure. In fact, I'm not so sure of a lot of films now...

BBFC tighten up policy on sexual violence

PaulD 11th December 2012 10:24 AM

It's been a while since I saw it but its me exactly sexual violence is it? There's nothing sexualised in that scene at all is there?