Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1970's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=552)
-   -   Your Favourite Horror Film from 1972 (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1970s/5240-your-favourite-horror-film-1972-a.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th April 2011 04:55 PM

Your Favourite Horror Film from 1972

3 Attachment(s)
1972 was a year for some brilliant horror films, but which one is your favourite? What makes it special to you? When did you first see it? Would you recommend it to the uninitiated?

Sometimes it's a hard decision to just pick one film (even when you're limiting it to a single year!), but my favourite film of 1972 is...

Horror Express - Eugenio Martin

Another classic, starring the irreplaceable Cushing and Lee pairing up to tackle a recently unthawed monster believed to be the 'missing link' running amok on a train.

Trailer:

Runners Up:
All the Colors of the Dark
Delirium
Don't Torture a Duckling
Dracula A.D. 1972
Pink Flamingos
Seven Bloodstained Orchids
Vampire Circus
What Have You Done to Solange?
Who Saw Her Die?
Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th April 2011 08:13 PM

I'm not familiar with all of these films and have only seen most of them once so my vote would have to go with Who Saw Her Die? simply because of its link to Don't Look Now and the excellent direction. I really must make an effort to watch the other ones on that list again!

Pete 8th April 2011 08:33 PM

DELIRIUM is an interesting experience to say the least. Apparently there is a XXX version.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th April 2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 141645)
I'm not familiar with all of these films and have only seen most of them once so my vote would have to go with Who Saw Her Die? simply because of its link to Don't Look Now and the excellent direction. I really must make an effort to watch the other ones on that list again!

Even though Who Saw Her Die? is a brilliant little giallo, for me it is the weakest of all the gialli I posted on my Runners Up list. Duckling, Orchids, and Solange would be my favourite gialli from 1972.

You seen Horror Express, Nos?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 141651)
DELIRIUM is an interesting experience to say the least. Apparently there is a XXX version.

I'd heard that too - was there ever a DVD release? I think I'd heard that maybe a Dutch or Austrian company had released a version, but I'm not sure whether there was any truth to it.

I first saw this a couple of years ago courtesy of Blue Underground's fine DVD (a re-release of the old ABUS version). I immediately liked it, bizarre though it may be.

Pete 8th April 2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 141655)

I'd heard that too - was there ever a DVD release? I think I'd heard that maybe a Dutch or Austrian company had released a version, but I'm not sure whether there was any truth to it.

I first saw this a couple of years ago courtesy of Blue Underground's fine DVD (a re-release of the old ABUS version). I immediately liked it, bizarre though it may be.

Not sure but I wouldn't be surprised if it had been released in Austria or Germany.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th April 2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 141655)
Even though Who Saw Her Die? is a brilliant little giallo, for me it is the weakest of all the gialli I posted on my Runners Up list. Duckling, Orchids, and Solange would be my favourite gialli from 1972.

You seen Horror Express, Nos?

Not yet -- I told you this thread would end up costing me money! I'm desperate for someone to re-release Your Vice is a Locked Room and I Have the Key (wrong year, I know), but the prices on eBay and Amazon Marketplace are ridiculous.

Pete 8th April 2011 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 141661)
Not yet -- I told you this thread would end up costing me money! I'm desperate for someone to re-release Your Vice is a Locked Room and I Have the Key (wrong year, I know), but the prices on eBay and Amazon Marketplace are ridiculous.

HORROR EXPRESS is great but it goes off the rails slightly (:P) when Telly Savallas shows up.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th April 2011 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 141661)

Horror Express is excellent - Cushing and Lee have a great dynamic going in this one, plus it's great to see them out of their usual Dracula/Van Helsing pairing.

Apparently (and I will post this in the Upcoming Non-UK Blu-Ray Releases thread too), Horror Express will be getting a Blu-Ray release courtesy of Severin this year - I only found this out when looking for the trailer on Youtube (it is the Severin trailer that I posted).

Also, you have the correct year thread for Your Vice. ;)

The NoShame release is very good, although MYA plan a re-release (I'm hoping Shameless release this one too though!)

Pete 8th April 2011 09:02 PM

Severin announced that a while ago, shame it's taking them so long to release it.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th April 2011 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 141665)
Severin announced that a while ago, shame it's taking them so long to release it.

I thought they may have done - the Youtube trailer was 7 months old. I've posted a note in the thread about it anyway, though. As you say, hopefully there won't be a big delay in them releasing it.