Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Your Prisoner Memories (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Where did you first discover Prisoner? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/your-prisoner-memories/4653-where-did-you-first-discover-prisoner.html)

mr 420 15th February 2011 11:31 AM

Where did you first discover Prisoner?

For me, it was at a first something that was on to fill up the new all-night slot that ITV was had started running (Remember when the channels went off in the wee hours?). I'm ashamed to admit it, but it took me a good few months to get into it as I was told that it wasn't (went)worth the effort. However when I actually sat down and watched an episode I was hooked. The grittiness of it grabbed me and most of the vast array of characters who moved in and out were, well 'characters!' Some good, some mad and most of them bad. The storylines too were a revelation compared to the usual drama that I was used to seeing on T.V. All of this combined had me enthralled and I never again missed an episode. I did have to wait until it came back on Ch.5 to catch the beginning that I had missed. What other shows have an explosion in the first episode?:eek:

If you have only heard the stories and rumors about Prisoner being rubbish, forget them! You don't get to have 692 episodes by being awful. Prisoner is quality drama, plain and simple. Give it a chance and you too will be hooked. Yes, it really is THAT good.

Sundayboy 15th February 2011 11:55 AM

I remember my mum being a fan and watching the original run on TVS. I was only young but remember being allowed to watch it if I promised to go to bed immediately after. :)

Scott@OnTheInside 15th February 2011 05:23 PM

I first discovered Prisoner on ITV Tyne Tees at about 11.10pm twice a week when I was meant to be doing my homework from school. I totally loved it but because it was always shifted around the schedules, I tended to miss it but it was always easy to catch up.

I watched the series from start to end for the first time when it was broadcast on Channel 5 as part of their launch... and since then it has been a part of my life for probably every single day!

Stephen@Cult Labs 15th February 2011 05:30 PM

I'm another one of those who caught Prisoner during its ITV screening during the 80's. And very true mr 420, if a tv series manages an incredible run of 692 episodes, it must be doing something right.

Sam@Cult Labs 15th February 2011 05:35 PM

Late night, post-pub, worse the wear, a little over emotional and suitably refreshed. Alone and weakened by alcohol.

I stumbled fuzzily towards the TV in the corner of my room, looking for something to fill the wee small hours and there you were...

DJPaulBee 16th February 2011 12:38 PM

For me, it was around episode 15 or so when it started on Border TV, a few of my mates were going on about it, I watched it and became HOOKED!!

Many many times I fell asleep when the credits were rolling ony to wake up with 'Quiz Night' or some other mince still on the TV. I also loved going on holiday to Blackpool 'cos at the time Granada were ahead of us, and seeing how things were SO different!

It still remains the ONLY TV show to have me in tears (all your fault Maxine!!) and will always be my FAVE tv show ever, even if Border did miss out a few episodes when they were taken over by Granada...

Still love it - and LOVING the DVD releases. :D

Almar@Cult Labs 16th February 2011 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJPaulBee (Post 128598)
For me, it was around episode 15 or so when it started on Border TV, a few of my mates were going on about it, I watched it and became HOOKED!!

Many many times I fell asleep when the credits were rolling ony to wake up with 'Quiz Night' or some other mince still on the TV. I also loved going on holiday to Blackpool 'cos at the time Granada were ahead of us, and seeing how things were SO different!

It still remains the ONLY TV show to have me in tears (all your fault Maxine!!) and will always be my FAVE tv show ever, even if Border did miss out a few episodes when they were taken over by Granada...

Still love it - and LOVING the DVD releases. :D

STV were buggers at how they put out Prisoner - used to be twice a week, then once, then the time started getting later and later - was a real pain!

dream demon 22nd February 2011 10:02 PM

The strange thing is, I don't remember a time when I didn't know about Prisoner :lol: . Even before I was old enough to stay up and watch it myself (about 12 years old) there was always some reference - usually, it has to be said, less than flattering - in the media, or a joke or a sketch, or just people talking about it. Once I actually got to see it on ITV on a late Sunday night I was addicted!

mr 420 23rd February 2011 10:31 AM

It's funny how the people who slag off PCBH are the ones who haven't really seen it and given a chance. Everyone I know who actually sat down and watched it soon became fans.

Stephen@Cult Labs 23rd February 2011 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 130502)
It's funny how the people who slag off PCBH are the ones who haven't really seen it and given a chance.

That seems to the case for most things people slag off. Need to give things a chance beore dismissing them.

ChrissyJM 23rd February 2011 09:19 PM

I used to stay with an old family friend to keep her company when her husband died and her next door neighbour used to come in and we would watch prisoner on Tyne Tees at 11.10 on Mondays and Thursdays! I started watching it just after the women returned from woodridge after the fire. I loved it from the off and would try and stay up to watch it when I was at home and if I couldn't would tape it and get up early to watch it before I went to school. One thing I do remember is that as soon as the music started for the end credits the old ladies little dog would wake up and go to bed.. It was as though he knew is was PCBH and then bed time.

I'm so excited that the DVD's have been released as I can watch it from start to finish!!

Almar@Cult Labs 24th February 2011 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrissyJM (Post 130699)
I used to stay with an old family friend to keep her company when her husband died and her next door neighbour used to come in and we would watch prisoner on Tyne Tees at 11.10 on Mondays and Thursdays! I started watching it just after the women returned from woodridge after the fire. I loved it from the off and would try and stay up to watch it when I was at home and if I couldn't would tape it and get up early to watch it before I went to school. One thing I do remember is that as soon as the music started for the end credits the old ladies little dog would wake up and go to bed.. It was as though he knew is was PCBH and then bed time.

I'm so excited that the DVD's have been released as I can watch it from start to finish!!

It sounds like you're going to re-live some fond associated memories when you watch Prisoner again - especially once you get to where you first got into the series. ;)

Pete 24th February 2011 09:02 AM

I'm not a fan of prisoner but my dad LOVES it! Used to make me and my sisters watch it all the time when we were kids.

mr 420 24th February 2011 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 130625)
That seems to the case for most things people slag off. Need to give things a chance beore dismissing them.

Well said Sir!:clap:

Screwbaiter 24th February 2011 06:17 PM

Pure curiosity.
Every Tuesday/ Thrsday the newspaper had only this to describe it:

'Australian dramaset in awomen's prison'

Never any episodic descriptions until about a year after I got hooked.

I wasso curious about it that I tuned in (ep121) and wwas instantly hooked.

badwolf 14th April 2011 08:05 PM

mine was accidental, i used to record a programme called Video View which was after Prisoner, because it was recorded on VHS i used to set the timer 10 mins each end, and for some reason caught the last 10 minutes of an episode and thought it was really good, and i have been watching it ever since

Megabyte376 5th July 2011 04:50 AM

Prisoner on Thames TV

I used to watch it on Thames Television, then later when I moved i was able to pick up meridian as well so I was able to watch it on thames then on meridian, which was about 3 episodes behind

pestis 28th January 2012 12:27 AM

I used to watch PoCBH when my 2 lads were little. As a single parent, I would often sit with my youngest watching it, mainly because it was the only thing on that time of night... apart from Open University. I went from watching it through weary eyes, praying he'd sleep for more than one hour at a time to finding it fascinating. I've not watched it since. I must re-visit but hope it doen't bring back memories of baby induced sleepless nights.

Cat 15th March 2012 08:03 PM

I grew up with it on TV in Australia it was always on during the 1980s, My cousins and I loved it because we enjoyed the endless brawls. The rest was a bit beyond us because we were only children but we loved the fights and the name calling!

toto691 23rd March 2012 09:10 AM

Cany actually remember discovering it.... was very young though!

YouLilRipper 20th April 2012 03:43 AM

Itv when I was about 15year old my Mum and Dad used to watch it every Thursday night at 11:40 the only time it was ever on and they let me stay up late this one night was the school hols i think and that's it I was hooked every Thursday after that I mithered them to let me stay up:)

ScottishMermaid 26th August 2012 01:03 PM

I was about 6 when I first discovered it but I wasn't allowed to stay up and watch...although when I was about 10, (in the 90s) sometimes my mother would tape it for me and my brothers.

However, I only just completed the entire series after starting on the DVDs 3 years ago...I am now completely obsessed...LOL...I immediately went back to the beginning! (This is terrible, I am supposed to be focusing on my masters degree lol)

My two most prominent memories of it from those early days are of Bea smoking and using the press...and of Nola killing Paddy Lawson...

Seems I have had a Bea obsession since I was 6 years old as I remember playing 'give us a clue' with my family and me doing Bea holding a cigarette whilst using the press...hahaha.

john h 6th January 2013 08:58 AM

I never watched Prisoner until about 3 years ago, I can't get enough of it. Absolutely love it.

mike from usa 9th February 2013 12:07 PM

I first saw PCBH on KYW channel 3 in Philadephia in the US. I used to love the show as a 16 year old. I was really bummed when the show was prempted for coverage of the assasination attempt on President Reagan. I recently rediscovered the show through DVD and youtube. I am in the process of watching the whole series.

DiscoStick12 15th September 2013 07:57 PM

I remember years and years ago my Mother watching Prisoner. I live in Ireland so I'm not sure which ITV we use to watch it on. Only recently rediscovered it and I'm loving it :)

PCBH Fan 6th March 2014 01:01 PM

The earliest memory of watching it was when I was still going to school, it could've been any time from '88 to '91, so my age would've been anything from 12 to 15, it was on Granada and they used to show it at around 11pm on Sundays and Mondays I think.

The episode was where the women were doing a play and then they tried escaping through a tunnel, I think this may have been the first episode I ever saw. I'm not sure exactly what I thought of it, I think that I thought that it was 'okay'.

So if I wasn't hooked at the start I did eventually become hooked.