Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > Prisoner Cell Block H: The Official UK DVD Forum > Your Prisoner Memories

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th February 2011, 11:31 AM
Cult Addict

Default Where did you first discover Prisoner?

For me, it was at a first something that was on to fill up the new all-night slot that ITV was had started running (Remember when the channels went off in the wee hours?). I'm ashamed to admit it, but it took me a good few months to get into it as I was told that it wasn't (went)worth the effort. However when I actually sat down and watched an episode I was hooked. The grittiness of it grabbed me and most of the vast array of characters who moved in and out were, well 'characters!' Some good, some mad and most of them bad. The storylines too were a revelation compared to the usual drama that I was used to seeing on T.V. All of this combined had me enthralled and I never again missed an episode. I did have to wait until it came back on Ch.5 to catch the beginning that I had missed. What other shows have an explosion in the first episode?

If you have only heard the stories and rumors about Prisoner being rubbish, forget them! You don't get to have 692 episodes by being awful. Prisoner is quality drama, plain and simple. Give it a chance and you too will be hooked. Yes, it really is THAT good.
Old 15th February 2011, 11:55 AM
Cult Rookie

I remember my mum being a fan and watching the original run on TVS. I was only young but remember being allowed to watch it if I promised to go to bed immediately after.
Old 15th February 2011, 05:23 PM
Cultist in Training

I first discovered Prisoner on ITV Tyne Tees at about 11.10pm twice a week when I was meant to be doing my homework from school. I totally loved it but because it was always shifted around the schedules, I tended to miss it but it was always easy to catch up.

I watched the series from start to end for the first time when it was broadcast on Channel 5 as part of their launch... and since then it has been a part of my life for probably every single day!
Old 15th February 2011, 05:30 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I'm another one of those who caught Prisoner during its ITV screening during the 80's. And very true mr 420, if a tv series manages an incredible run of 692 episodes, it must be doing something right.
Old 15th February 2011, 05:35 PM
Blogs Moderator

Late night, post-pub, worse the wear, a little over emotional and suitably refreshed. Alone and weakened by alcohol.

I stumbled fuzzily towards the TV in the corner of my room, looking for something to fill the wee small hours and there you were...
Old 16th February 2011, 12:38 PM
Cult Rookie

For me, it was around episode 15 or so when it started on Border TV, a few of my mates were going on about it, I watched it and became HOOKED!!

Many many times I fell asleep when the credits were rolling ony to wake up with 'Quiz Night' or some other mince still on the TV. I also loved going on holiday to Blackpool 'cos at the time Granada were ahead of us, and seeing how things were SO different!

It still remains the ONLY TV show to have me in tears (all your fault Maxine!!) and will always be my FAVE tv show ever, even if Border did miss out a few episodes when they were taken over by Granada...

Still love it - and LOVING the DVD releases.
Old 16th February 2011, 12:52 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPaulBee View Post
For me, it was around episode 15 or so when it started on Border TV, a few of my mates were going on about it, I watched it and became HOOKED!!

Many many times I fell asleep when the credits were rolling ony to wake up with 'Quiz Night' or some other mince still on the TV. I also loved going on holiday to Blackpool 'cos at the time Granada were ahead of us, and seeing how things were SO different!

It still remains the ONLY TV show to have me in tears (all your fault Maxine!!) and will always be my FAVE tv show ever, even if Border did miss out a few episodes when they were taken over by Granada...

Still love it - and LOVING the DVD releases.
STV were buggers at how they put out Prisoner - used to be twice a week, then once, then the time started getting later and later - was a real pain!
Old 22nd February 2011, 10:02 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Somewhere no one has ever heard off. Lucky beggars.

The strange thing is, I don't remember a time when I didn't know about Prisoner . Even before I was old enough to stay up and watch it myself (about 12 years old) there was always some reference - usually, it has to be said, less than flattering - in the media, or a joke or a sketch, or just people talking about it. Once I actually got to see it on ITV on a late Sunday night I was addicted!
Old 23rd February 2011, 10:31 AM
Cult Addict

It's funny how the people who slag off PCBH are the ones who haven't really seen it and given a chance. Everyone I know who actually sat down and watched it soon became fans.

Last edited by mr 420; 24th February 2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 23rd February 2011, 05:45 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 420 View Post
It's funny how the people who slag off PCBH are the ones who haven't really seen it and given a chance.
That seems to the case for most things people slag off. Need to give things a chance beore dismissing them.

Like this? Share it using the links below!