Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > Prisoner Cell Block H: The Official UK DVD Forum > Your Prisoner Memories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th February 2011, 01:36 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Default Did you watch Prisoner in the Tyne Tees ITV days?

This and the other ITV regional threads are here so you can take a trip back down memory lane and let us know how you discovered Prisoner, how your local ITV company showed it (some were better than others in how they treated the show) and any other memories you associate from the time - all are welcome on this thread.
Old 16th February 2011, 02:10 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

When I was younger I remember my mother regularly recorded Prisoner Cell Block H from Tyne Tees in perhaps the early to mid 90's. I seem to recall it was on quite late although I would have been about 10-11 or so at the time so even 10pm would seemed quite late to me! I remember her recording it and watching it at the weekend (or in the morning if she was off during my school summer holidays) and watching some of them with her, being quite shocked at how gritty and violent it seemed to my young eyes! I'd love to watch some of it again to see how much I could remember but at the minute the dvds are at the very very bottom of a long to-buy-list unfortunately.

Hazy things I do remember:
  • Lizzie smoking
  • the steam press
  • The Freak!
  • A big fire in the prison
  • someone (maybe Lizzie) finally being let out, being unable to adjust to life on the outside and comitting a minor crime (shoplifting?)
  • An escape bid during a pantomime
  • Constant talk of the "Top Dog"
  • And finally, the theme tue which I used to find really depressing even back then
Old 16th February 2011, 02:38 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
When I was younger I remember my mother regularly recorded Prisoner Cell Block H from Tyne Tees in perhaps the early to mid 90's. I seem to recall it was on quite late although I would have been about 10-11 or so at the time so even 10pm would seemed quite late to me! I remember her recording it and watching it at the weekend (or in the morning if she was off during my school summer holidays) and watching some of them with her, being quite shocked at how gritty and violent it seemed to my young eyes! I'd love to watch some of it again to see how much I could remember but at the minute the dvds are at the very very bottom of a long to-buy-list unfortunately.

• Lizzie smoking
  • the steam press
  • The Freak!
  • someone (maybe Lizzie) finally being let out, being unable to adjust to life on the outside and comitting a minor crime (shoplifting?)
  • And finally, the theme tue which I used to find really depressing even back then
Looks like you remembered well - it was my Mum who got me into Prisoner as well although she denies it now!

Do keep popping on here as we'll no doubt have some competitions to win copies...
Old 22nd February 2011, 10:35 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Somewhere no one has ever heard off. Lucky beggars.

I used to watch Prisoner on Tyne Tees at about 1AM on Sunday night/Monday morning; it was very much part of the weekend ritual - Prisoner, bed, then school the next morning ("OMG! Did you see Prisoner last night?" ) Tyne Tees were really great with showing Prisoner, every Sunday night for a good few years; this would have been around '89 I started watching. I'm pretty sure they got through the whole run. I agree that it was 'The Freak' years that really had us all hooked. I think everyone at school was hooked by then . I really can't wait to start buying the box sets and watching it all again from the start.
Old 3rd April 2011, 10:43 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post

• Lizzie smoking
  • the steam press
  • The Freak!
I used to watch it late as well with my mum on Tyne Tees, despite the fact I had to be up for school the next day (I'm nearly 27 now).

Remember all the storylines mentioned there. I remember Faye Quinn, played by Anne Lucas, was let out (this was around the time of Nola McKenziecoming in- Faye's son Billy was played by Alan Chaplin, who was later Heather Rogers's brother Mark, who got caught in a nasty accident on the orders of Marie Winter, who I've met in real life), committed a shoplifting crime, and came back in again. Paddy Lawson was another- she got released after the big fire, tried to escape with Andy Hudson, got caught and sent back to prison, and then got killed by Nola, as Nola wanted to stay in Wentworth and not go back to Western Australia.

Prisoner used to be on at around 10.40pm/11.40pm on Tyne Tees.

Like this? Share it using the links below!