Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > Prisoner Cell Block H: The Official UK DVD Forum > Your Prisoner Memories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th February 2011, 01:38 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Default Did you watch Prisoner in the HTV ITV days?

This and the other ITV regional threads are here so you can take a trip back down memory lane and let us know how you discovered Prisoner, how your local ITV company showed it (some were better than others in how they treated the show) and any other memories you associate from the time - all are welcome on this thread.
Old 17th February 2011, 12:37 AM
Cult Rookie

I watched the show back on HTV during it's first year of broadcast in Wales. Had never seen anything quite like it (and still haven't to this day !!) and it hooked me immediately. Being a bit young then i wasn't allowed to watch it as it was on so late, but luckily had a TV in my room so used to sneak it on with the volume down quite low so I wouldn't be discovered...

Can't really remember the schedule back in those days but during the last couple of years it was on Tuesday's and Thursday's. At one time we had it 3 times a week... BLISS ! Used to tape the show on old VHS tapes after a couple of years and did it all the way to the end. Still have them too to this day... Not quite sure why I have never thrown them out. Maybe the labour of love it took to get them all on video in the first place?

It was treated quite shoddily by HTV in terms of scheduling, but I never really learned of the cuts that they made until a few years into the show and the explosion of fanzines/H-Block Heralds and the like. Minor cuts don't bother me, but when I learned of some of the major cuts like during the fire etc I was furious.

Thankfully we know have the DVDs which are as complete as they can be.

Anyway - any other HTV viewers here ?
Old 21st June 2011, 11:06 PM
Cult Rookie

Default Oh the HTV days

I stared watching it on HTV West back in 1989 wiv my youngest sister,we would watch Stickey moments wiv JUlian claery on c4 then over 2 HTV at 2340 4 PCBH,i fell in love with it frm that point,im still watching it on dvds over and over its such a fab tv series,shame they dont bring it back...
Old 7th July 2011, 10:16 PM
Cult Rookie

I also watched on HTV Wales from about episode 4, I remember the first time I ever saw Prisoner, Bill had been stabbed and Meg was being horrible to the women and then obviously I realised it was her husband that had been killed. I had seen Prisoner in the schedules but assumed it was a documentary but once I started watching it I was hooked, I didn't know how many episodes I had missed (which turned out to be 3) until much later on when I got involved with The original Prisoner fan club.

HTV used to show their own night time programmes back then called 'Night Club' which included Prisoner, married with Children etc, the announcers chatted before and after each episode, ran competitions and read out viewers letters. Prisoner was first shown on a monday night and accasionally on a tuesday before chaging to a sunday and monday, it was then shown on sundays and tuesdays but throughout most of the run it was screened on tuesdays and thursdays and as 'badboy' said above, it was also sometimes screened 3 times in a week (sun, tues and thurs) and also (tues, wed and thurs). Happy Days!!!
Old 28th March 2014, 06:56 PM
Cult Rookie

My dad would tape it for my mum when it used to be on and I would sit down after school to watch. Now i'm 28 and started the whole series from the beginning ... 192 episodes left

Like this? Share it using the links below!