Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Your Prisoner Memories (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Did you watch Prisoner in the Thames/LWT ITV days? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/your-prisoner-memories/4677-did-you-watch-prisoner-thames-lwt-itv-days.html)

Almar@Cult Labs 16th February 2011 12:42 PM

Did you watch Prisoner in the Thames/LWT ITV days?

This and the other ITV regional threads are here so you can take a trip back down memory lane and let us know how you discovered Prisoner, how your local ITV company showed it (some were better than others in how they treated the show) and any other memories you associate from the time - all are welcome on this thread.

Inspector Tanzi 16th February 2011 01:01 PM

when I was about 11-12 (maybe) and used to stay over a mates we used to watch it, it was on about 1 in the morning!!!

Around the time ITV first went 24 hr.

Almar@Cult Labs 16th February 2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Tanzi (Post 128613)
when I was about 11-12 (maybe) and used to stay over a mates we used to watch it, it was on about 1 in the morning!!!

Around the time ITV first went 24 hr.

Did you and your mates like it then? What I wonder is because the TV choice and other entertainment was so much more limited than now - kids at that age now wouldn't give Prisoner a second look - are we the last generation to discover and get into Prisoner in a major way.

Inspector Tanzi 16th February 2011 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs (Post 128614)
Did you and your mates like it then?

Yeah, the only characters I can put names to faces nowadays would be Bea smith, Lizzie and Ferguson. We used to laugh when people like Harold from neighbours popped up in it ;D

Almar@Cult Labs 16th February 2011 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Tanzi (Post 128623)
Yeah, the only characters I can put names to faces nowadays would be Bea smith, Lizzie and Ferguson. We used to laugh when people like Harold from neighbours popped up in it ;D

He was proper slim in those days and somehow just couldn't do stern - you know he wrote some of the episodes?

Screwbaiter 16th February 2011 06:03 PM

I stared watching when I was about 13. My first ep was 121, when Leanne Bourke fell from the roof. Couldn't get a better introduction to a show than that! ;)

Lillyivimia 22nd February 2011 04:47 AM

I started watching on a full-time basis in about 1989 and haven't stopped since! Bea was the character that reeled me into the soap and it was to continue to watch Bea that I turned in thereafter. I dreaded the day Bea would be written out, but by that time Joan had joined the show and I continued to tune in to see how far she would go. And she just got more and more dangerous as the show progressed. A really enjoyable journey and one I look back on with great joy.:)

mr 420 22nd February 2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs (Post 128624)
He was proper slim in those days and somehow just couldn't do stern - you know he wrote some of the episodes?

Yeah, Ian Smith had a BIG part to play in the making of PCBH.

Almar@Cult Labs 22nd February 2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lillyivimia (Post 130216)
I started watching on a full-time basis in about 1989 and haven't stopped since! Bea was the character that reeled me into the soap and it was to continue to watch Bea that I turned in thereafter. I dreaded the day Bea would be written out, but by that time Joan had joined the show and I continued to tune in to see how far she would go. And she just got more and more dangerous as the show progressed. A really enjoyable journey and one I look back on with great joy.:)

I too had big fears when Bea left but I think the team on the show responded well and a more maniacal Joan made for incredible viewing!

Lillyivimia 22nd February 2011 11:41 AM

Joan seemed to slowly become ever-so-slightly more unhinged with each passing episode. The more people caught her out in her lies, the harder she fought back and the more deadly she became. As you say, Almar, this made for incredible viewing.

As much as I loved Bea as a character (she's always been my all-time favourite), I'm glad in retrospect that she left when she did. If B ea had stayed on, we would never have had the pleasure of seeing Myra Desmond and Rita Connors as Top Dogs. Each added their own distinct flavour to the mix and added to the legend of Prisoner.

dream demon 22nd February 2011 12:54 PM

I used to watch Prisoner on Tyne Tees at about 1AM on Sunday night/Monday morning; it was very much part of the weekend ritual - Prisoner, bed, then school the next morning ("OMG! Did you see Prisoner last night?" :lol:) Tyne Tees were really great with showing Prisoner, every Sunday night for a good few years; this would have been around '89 I started watching. I'm pretty sure they got through the whole run. I agree that it was 'The Freak' years that really had us all hooked. I think everyone at school was hooked by then :cool:. I really can't wait to start buying the box sets and watching it all again from the start.

Almar@Cult Labs 22nd February 2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dream demon (Post 130292)
I used to watch Prisoner on Tyne Tees at about 1AM on Sunday night/Monday morning; it was very much part of the weekend ritual - Prisoner, bed, then school the next morning ("OMG! Did you see Prisoner last night?" :lol:) Tyne Tees were really great with showing Prisoner, every Sunday night for a good few years; this would have been around '89 I started watching. I'm pretty sure they got through the whole run. I agree that it was 'The Freak' years that really had us all hooked. I think everyone at school was hooked by then :cool:. I really can't wait to start buying the box sets and watching it all again from the start.

Make sure you leave a post on the Tyne Tees thread - we want to get comments on all the regions! :nod:

dis 22nd February 2011 04:55 PM

Hi,sorry but just replied over on the grampian area thread when it should have been on here!
Feel free to move it if you want/can?