View Single Post
Old 8th September 2010, 12:35 AM
Cultist in Training

Send a message via AIM to evilzombie20

Quote:
Originally Posted by springjack View Post
So I may assume you prefer the shorter version for nostalgia sake... that´s a valid argument.

I´m from Portugal and when I saw the Anchor Bay version I didn´t notice anything different from the vhs version I had... guess I only saw the American version. I also had a vhs from a trip I made to Italy but it was the italian dub so I cannot compare them both.
No you had seen the international print then, the American version and the international print have some very different audio differences.

For example, the punks have completely different voice actors dubbing their lines in the international version, same as the older couple Frank and Ruth, everyone else from what I recall has the same dubbing.

As I said, the music also is cued differently, for example, when Rosemary is being pushed into the room by George and Ken, Pretty Maid's "Night Danger" fades out in the international print. In the American version, the song fades when the woman in blue goes into the room and stays silent, with some ambient music playing in between, until Rosemary turns to see George and Ken behind her. When she slams herself into the door, the music kicks right back on to the verse, "You can't stop the pressure..." and continues until the close the door on her fingers.

In my opinion, it makes the scene far more tense and chaotic. The latter just seems...calm.

Another instance of the music being cued differently is when the group breaks down the door in the projection booth, in the international print, the song plays over the whole scene - before the door comes down - in the American print, it kicks in once the door is kicked down.

There are a few more differences between the two, but the American print has always sounded more natural to me - it flows better, the international has always felt...unfinished. To me at least.

By the way, here's a scan of the original US VHS artwork;