View Single Post
Old 13th October 2010, 07:18 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Well, I did not buy Inferno on Blu - I bought it on dvd, and let's just say I was very happy with what I saw. It was a superb package and I must give props to Arrow on this - I love the care they took with this and I look forward to buying future releases.

I could have bought it on Blu - I might still do so one day, but as it was a film I expect to watch many times over I thought the dvd was more sensible as I can watch it pretty much anywhere, but with blu you have to watch it on a special set-up and I cannot watch as often.

Nika, your vitriol towards Arrow's presentation inspired me to register and post. I've seen the Arrow blu screencaps and the competitor's - judging by those, one cannot credibly call Arrow's transfer a "travesty" as you have. Most critics actually disagree with you, and before you argue that I have not seen the Arrow blu, I would also argue that you have not seen the Camera Obscura blu either. You've made your point that you don't like the Arrow blu - there's no need to keep bashing people over the head with it and you've gone well beyond constructive criticism. If all blu is going to do is attract arguments between the grain perfectionistas vs the DNR defenders, then it makes you wonder why blu even exists as a format if people cannot appreciate it; at least with SD, we did not have these arguments.

I also have to say I don't admire CO's tactics -it's bad enough that they take an elitist approach to selling their product by using select outlets, but to then brag that their release is better - well, it lacks class. You would not catch Arrow doing that to Blue Underground or vice versa, nor would you see other labels like Criterion doing that to MoC or BFI. To me, it does not matter who has the better sound or image - I go with the labels I trust because I don't want to shell out my hard earned dosh on labels I dont.

I buy Arrow because they care about their product and they have integrity.