View Single Post
Old 15th October 2010, 08:43 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofwitches666 View Post
Indeed I have but it's been a while. I've got a feeling my views on it maybe a bit 'rose-tinted' like so many things when your younger. I do remember it did have some neat concept though, like it having 'squad based' controls. Each member in your squad had certain abilities (engineering, medical, etc). You of course have to utilises there abilties in order to advance through the levels (engineer needs to restore power in order to unlock doors & such like).

Any survivors you come across can join you but you have to arm them, give out ammo so there is a 'management' system that has to be implemented too. Going outside is also fraught, as there is an 'exposure' meter so theres always a sense of urgency when following the rope lights to get to the next out building before the meter runs out & you & your squad freeze to death!

The other neat thing in the game is the fear system & the trust system. This is implemented by making it possible for one of the player's squad members to be 'turned', and for the player not realize to until it was too late.

In the trust system, the player may lose the trust of his squad if he kills a squad member on the belief that that squad member had been 'turned'. The squad would react to the killing depending on if the slain squad member was or wasn't 'turned'. If the squad member had been 'turned', the squad will praise you for killing him. However, if the squad member was still human, the squad will lose faith in you and may even try to kill you.

In the fear system, the squad reacts to the environment of an area. An area that is covered in blood, or an area where there is a lot of wreckage present, might inspire fear in the squad. Also, the number of 'things' present or the sizes of the 'things' may frighten the squad members. The individual members of the squad may react in one of three ways:
The squad member runs away.
The squad member becomes irrational and begins shooting (with both regular guns and flamethrowers) indiscriminately. As this places the player and the squad in significant danger, the player often has to kill this squad member. If the player kills this squad member, the squad will neither gain nor lose trust in the player.
The squad member will simply give up and commit suicide.

There are several different ways that you can kill a 'thing'. A small 'thing' can be shot, while a larger 'thing' will have to be shot till it's nearly dead & then torched with a flamethrower. Methods of killing boss 'things' varies.

Think I might dig out my copy & have a go for old times sake. Who knows it might be a nice alternative if the film prequel is truly terrible!
Hi, Thanks for the reply, and thanks for the nice write-up on The Thing video game.
I've read this a couple of times now, and I might actually start playing this game one of these days. This post of yours has got me interested in it. Konami were one of the kings of the video game world, back in the day. They put out some great games. I really liked "Turtles in time" on the SNES. This was some years back now. And the years have gone by quick. To f***ing quick.....