View Single Post
Old 2nd December 2010, 03:50 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinhead0303 View Post
I only used what you said as an example because you're deploying the usual tactic on here of trying to put down any other release of a film Arrow has or is putting out. I haven't looked at any other things you said on other threads so you may be alright

Bottom line for me is that many on here would buy an Arrow release if it was just a black screen for the entire duration (okay, so that's a slight exaggeration, but you get my drift). They always pop up when new releases are announced with the likes of 'I'll be buying this on the day of release!' or 'I've pre-ordered this already!' or 'I need this to complete my Arrow collection, Arrow are great!' So assuming those posters are genuine and not just Arrow moles, those sales are guaranteed for them no matter what. So really, it's the sales to casual buyers walking through the stores and people like me, who are very interested (I had this one pre-ordered) but won't just buy it for the hell of it, which matter (or should matter) to Arrow and unfortunately I won't be buying this now as I'd much prefer seeing it the way I'm used to and I'm not alone in thinking this way, so it's a shame but sales will be affected. Oh, and while I'm on about it, casual sales won't be too great either because apart from the obvious fact it has nothing to do with the film, that cover's awful!
I love conspiracy thrillers - especially some of the 70s ones but never did I think CL might be involved in one!

If only there could be moles and bots and all the rest in a lavish scheme to promote films that sell in such small numbers that no sane big studio would waste their time... but the plain fact of the matter is one guy - Fran - at Arrow is trying to pull together the best possible elements to make good releases. It's not easy to do this because the economics don't stack up to spending wild amounts of money and until you buy the rights to a film you don't know what materials you're getting or what state they're in and sometimes the licensor couldn't give a flip about what they're selling you. I also know having worked with companies like Anchor Bay and HKL during the glory days of the DVD industry that budgets are a fraction of what they used to be because the margins just aren't there any more.

This forum was set up as a communication point between interested distributors and fans and the simple idea is that it might offer the chance for feedback - good and bad but hopefully constructive that might lead to better releases within the realms of what is actually possible. There are many good examples of how titles have then been improved - for instance two artwork panels on this release were changed due to fans on here.

That's it. And there are no shortage of damning comments on this forum as well as buckets of praise but I do object to people getting attacked for having a good point about something they think could be better just as much as I object to people being vilified for showing enthusiasm. Let's just respect opinions, have the debate and not worry about a secretive army of internet ninja recruits dispatched to lure trusting fans into committing money into DVDs and BDs that will bitterly disappoint.

It's much easier not to have this place - it'll never be perfect but such is life. Plus there are hundreds of alternative and longer-running forums out there where the debate can rage on.

Fran spoke to me about Bay because with the materials available it's never going to be a release to knock socks off with but every possible effort has been made and there we are. It'll be interesting to see what people think and hopefully anyone who commits their hard-earned cash to buying a copy will be suitably happy with the transaction.