View Single Post
Old 3rd December 2010, 01:48 PM
Cult Rookie

Here's the first review I found

w w w.dvdactive. c o m/reviews/dvd/battle-royale-limited-edition.html

Quote:
Biting social commentary about the dog-eat-dog nature of the Japanese educational system and the youth-adult divide, or a gory action flick? As with most things one’s perception of Battle Royale will ultimately be coloured by what you take with you into the film, but I for one think it’s a smart piece of filmmaking. Ten years after its original release it has lost some of its shock factor, but it’s still a compelling piece of cinema and one that I’m glad to finally have in my high-definition collection.

Technically the set is good, especially the audio, which exceeded my expectations. While there is a fair bit of overlap on some of the extras there’s still plenty here to keep fans happy, with the making of a particular highlight. The limited edition accoutrements also add value to the package. It’s a real pity that Arrow didn’t have access to better video materials, or this could have been something truly special. As it stands it's still an impressive package and the best available version(s) of the film, so if you have the necessary hardware you’d be silly not to opt for the Blu-ray over the DVD.