View Single Post
Old 6th December 2010, 11:52 AM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel76 View Post
Yeah, it was shot on 35 mm, so the lack of both filmgrain and fine-details, plus the smudgy softness, is a clear sign of heavy DNR.

After the DNR use on the "Inferno" disc and now this one, I´m a little worried about the coming BD:s from Arrow. The fine-details always suffer when DNR is used as they get whiped out with the filmgrain, and fine-detail is THE advantage of high-def and why we upgraded to Blu-Ray.

Even though the City of the Living Dead disc had the grain intact, all the highdef extras packed on the same disc gave the movie itself a lower bitrate with heavy artifacting in the grain compared to the B.U. disc.

I´m thinking about skipping Battle Royal for the moment.
Sure the extra swag you get with the Arrow releases are awesome, but I always put the transfer of the movie as top priority over extras. I hope Deep Red and the other future Argento BD:s are DNR free. If not I go for the coming Blue-Underground discs instead.
Why not just get the limited set and judge for yourself. If you don't like it then you can sell the it later, minimum get back what you paid if not more, then order the Anchor Bay release.
No guarantees that they'll have better results.