View Single Post
Old 6th December 2010, 05:50 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentasm View Post
I'm not saying it wasn't filtered, because I just can't tell for sure, but if it was one assumes that it was Toei who did it because they don't have the best reputation. However, I'm more concerned by the claims that it's an upscale. Unfortunately just because it was supplied on an HD CAM SR it doesn't necessarily mean it's actually an HD master. Optimum's release of Escape from New York came on the same format, and that's widely accepted to be one of the worst transfers on the format (and a probable upscale).
Yeah, I heard a lot of the material, of older movies, coming in "HD" form from Japan is upscaled, like lot´s of the Anime stuff, plus movies like "Versus" released by Media-Blasters etc. It´s like they don´t want the rest of the world to have quality transfers that people from japan can import much cheaper than the Japanese discs. It was the same with DVD where Japan had fantastic versions and the rest of the world got soft and smeary, almost VHS quality, transfers

Japan is not the only ones cheating with upscaled stuff, most of the BD:s of classic Hong Kong movies from "Fortune Star" like "Police Story" etc. are also upscales.

Really pisses me off that they gave Arrow such lacking materials to work with. BUT I might still get it in the end until something better comes. It IS better than any of the DVD:s out there. I´ll wait for a few more reviews and comments from you guys before I decide.