View Single Post
Old 7th January 2011, 05:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Generally speaking, I still have a lot of fondness for QT, but there are two things about his work and its reception which have (and still do) annoy me:
-The Mid 90's "Pulp Fiction Hype" when every young filmmaker thought he could "do a Tarantino" with some "oh-so-clever dialogue" and (SUPPOSEDLY) "hip" characters...That made a great deal of "indie" flicks from that era not exactly appealing to me.
- For the benefit of the doubt I suppose it's only accidental that QT's personal "Catalogue of Grindhouse Cool" has become the stylistic bible for the whole "retro" movement, with again many filmmakers simply glancing at what seemed to work for "the man" instead of really developing individual priorities or actually reflecting on their personal tastes for the current stream of "B-Movie-Homages"- with Ti West's "The House of the Devil" being about the only completely "Tarantino-influence-free" "retro-experience" I can think of without too much digging in the back of my memory.
To cut it short: It's not QT himself who irritates me, it's the flock of filmmakers who're trying to fill out his shoes.

As far as his directorial efforts go I wished he'd helm another "Jackie Brown", but it would really excite me if he did far more scriptwriting for other directors, because his main strength lies within his words.