View Single Post
Old 12th August 2008, 10:43 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Default Noroi - The Curse (2005)

Anyone else seen this one? It's a total gem, and a nice variation in the whole J-Horror genre. It's the story of Masafumi Kobayashi, a leading paranormal journalist, TV presenter and expert who is a familiar and well-loved celebrity in his field. He loves nothing more than documenting paranormal activity, and this film begins with Kobayashi interviewing a young mother about the creepy sounds that she has started hearing ever since the lady next door and her child moved in to the house beside her. The sound of crying babies.

He goes to interview said neighbour, and that is where the shit starts hitting the fan. The film then follows his investigations, where they lead, and what they lead to.

The film is presented as a documentary a la Cannibal Holocaust / Blair Witch, and whilst there is the tiniest nod to Blair Witch, this film is on another planet. Not to say it's better, just different.

It's a film of mood, it's pretty much just filled with dread. And whilst there aren't any real J-Horror style shock moments, it had me backed up into the sofa biting my fist. Literally.

The story is absorbing, quite a lot happens in it, and it's presentation really draws you in. There's some fantastic imagery in it as well. It's a slow burner for sure, but all the better for it. I've really not scratched the surface of the story by any means, purposely, so you can seek out reviews, or the film yourselves.

If you get the chance, do seek it out, it's well worth the watch.

So, would anyone else who's seen it like to give their thoughts?