View Single Post
Old 19th January 2011, 03:54 PM
Blogs Moderator

I've said it before...

We should ban American Presidents in case some other nutjob wants to impress Jodie Foster and also ban any future Jill Dando's, in case they inspire stalkers to murder.

Essentially, if the media puts it out, someone will get obsessed with it. In general, for most people, horror and extreme cinema is a safety valve in an unfriendly world.

Censorship isn't about suppressing the film itself, it's about supressing the population. I'll never agree with it, despite the fact that working on a film like this troubles me.

Put it this way, this film is really good, I can't recommend it enough but it doesn't mean I'm going to return to it on a daily basis.

I think it's about balance of consumption. People who only watch safe, unchallenging fluff are escapist. People who only watch the very worst, nasty stuff need to open their minds to other forms of art because I'm not sure a pure diet of XXX rated sexual violence is all that healthy.

However, if, like me, you enjoyed both I Spit on Your Grave, A Serbian Film and also Mary Poppins and Groundhog Day, then I don't think society has much to fear from you...