View Single Post
Old 20th February 2011, 08:14 PM
Cultist in Training

Send a message via AIM to evilzombie20

I'm honestly perfectly content with it being in either black and white or sepia. It's really not a huge deal to me.

Not only is Arrow giving us the best presentation of the film thus far, but they're providing us with every extra they could get their hands on and then some, not to mention there is more picture information on their release compared to the US release which that alone makes it a must buy for me.

I understand preserving the film's original intended quality and overall effect, but I can't see how switching from sepia tone to black and white or going from black and white to sepia tone makes THAT huge of a difference in the overall effectiveness of the piece or of the experience of enjoying the film.

I'm sure there's a reason Arrow went this route, it's doubtful they just wanted to see what would happen if they messed with the color timing just for kicks - maybe this is how the picture looked on the master they were supplied, maybe this is how someone from the film told them they felt that this is how it should have looked like, whatever the reason may be - I highly doubt Arrow expected any kind of backlash like they appear to be receiving and I'm sure their reasons are justified.

With that said, I'm buying this day one for sure, no question. It's the only release on Blu Ray this film has - and even if it does get released here, who's to say it would have anymore extras - in most cases the US releases compared to Arrow's are missing an abundance of extras - or the prints wouldn't be identical??? This could just be how the HD master was conceived and from now on this is how the film will look. What if it's the same transfer Grindhouse was using from 1998 only upconverted to 1080p? All they did for the new HD transfer on the more recent disc was sharpen the picture a bit - they could simply do that again for the Blu Ray release; if they release it at all.

So I'm not sitting by idly waiting for someone else to release it "proper", this release looks like it's going to be more than a worthy addition to any horrorphile's collection - regardless of a potential simple color timing botch, intentional or unintentional.

Last edited by evilzombie20; 20th February 2011 at 08:27 PM.