View Single Post
Old 25th February 2011, 12:31 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Dead Ringers is a masterpiece in my opinion, one of Cronenberg's finest. It dissects the essence of realtionships, of kinship, of blood bonds and ultimately the breakdown of such things. It's also loosely based on a real case, which adds more depth to the story. I thought it was superb when I first saw it when it first came out and it remains one of my favourites from Cronenberg to this day. I put this up there with the likes of Videodrome and The Dead Zone.

Naked Lunch I can understand being rather inaccessible for most people, especially if they're not familiar with the source novel, which is, frankly, utterly unfilmable - it would be banned everywhere! If you think the film is weird, read the book. Naked lunch is a term that I think Allen Ginsberg said to Burroughs, it's that absolute clarity when you realise exactly what's on the end of your fork, hence the term 'naked lunch', seeing it for what it is, in other words. I think Cronenberg did a valiant effort in transferring the essence of the book, without actually being faithful to the story, such as it is, that is in the book. The book is actually less of a story and more a jumble of random ramblings, poltical ideas, sociological viewpoints, drug philosophy and some stark horror. Like I say, utterly unfilmable, some of the imagery in the book shocked even a hardened horror fan such as myself!